Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

2005 Range Rover Head Unit Will Only Display the Land Rover Logo

25K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  carlosz 
#1 ·
Hi I am new to these boards and I tried to find the answer to this in another thread but I didn't have any luck. I have a 2005 Range Rover and it has been great up until recently. I had a flat tire so it sat in my garage for a couple weeks until I had time to take the tire in for a patch. So I go to drive it after I got the new tire on and the radio/gps display came on as usual with the Land Rover logo but it never changed to the normal display after the logo. It just stays stuck on the logo.

It cranked a little slow when I went to start it so I am guessing maybe some sort of anti-theft mechanism? It just lights up and shows the logo and the power button on the left side of the unit flashes. I have tried holding different buttons turning the key on and off etc... and have had no luck for the last 3 days. It is one of the touch screen models and everything I have read on these forums relates to the older style models. Is it broken or is there some simple land rover trick I am missing like touch the top right portion of the screen while I sink the national anthem that is not published anywhere?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. That unit controls the gps, bluetooth, radio, cd player, everything...

#3 ·
I have a 2005 Range Rover with the exact same problem - IDENTICAL to what you are describing for the past 2 weeks. I am debating between having the whole system pulled out & having an after market system put in, or??? I've heard mention that there *may* be a firmware update of some sort that may take care of it that the dealer has to do. BUT my 2 LR dealers nearby won't touch my truck because it has an aftermarket DVD player in it. UGH!!!!!! I'm tempted to go with the whole new after market system, but that's a lot of $$ to spend if all it needs is a basic firmware update.

Did you get your problem resolved? If so, what was the solution??

Would appreciate any advice anyone has before I go sink more $$ into a new aftermarket system......

#5 ·
after the local dealer's "offer" to diagnose the problem at their hourly rate that they said could have easily taken over 10 hours just to find the problem (not even fix it), I threw in the towel & had a nice Alpine system put in. It was a tough call, but the prospect of spending what would easily be well into the $100's of dollars just to identify the problem, I decided to cut my losses.

The aftermarket system (no speaker replacement) actually sounds loads better too than the factory system.

Good Luck!!

#6 ·
The dealer charged $158CDN plus tax to find the problem. They said that they can see each component with their computer hook-up. The repair cost is $1000 part plus $350 to install. But I still end up with an old radio. An independent Rover Shop has confirmed this but are not sure the module is the issue.

The local stealer has a history of multi stage repairs but I have a warranty and thought this would be a better place to go. Turns out the dealer says fibre optics/wiring corroded and caused the module to short out. Warranty does not cover corrosion.

I have been told that the corrosion alone could be the issue. I am going to remove the module and clean it up to see if this soves the problem.

Regarding your stereo, I have been looking at after market options. Can you provide the details of your install? Do you have pictures? Did you install and under dash model or a screen replacement? I assume you installed new equalizer and connected it to the existing wiring in the back corner, right? Did you need one or two equalizer? Do you know the impedance of each speaker?

Thanks.

#7 ·
I went with the Alpine IVA-W505/P1 - Nav, DVD, CD, ipod connection with a nice touch screen. & as I mentioned above, the sound improvement was immediately noticeable as well. I'm quite happy with it.

I replaced the full screen area completely - looks nice. I don't have pictures of mine, but the place that did the install for me has pictures of another install on a n '05 Range Rover the exact same color & install set-up as mine - you can see the install here: Project Two Customs - Range Rover

I don't know all the details of the "how" the install was done, since I had it done, so I can't be of much help on that front.

#8 ·
Ahhh the infamous 03 to 05 full size rangies....?"TL" it may have not been explaind properly. But the fiber optic cable is not capable of corrosion, but the elctronics associated with it will fail...the main reason behind all that is the location of the components. They are located on the left rear quarter pannel just below the sunroof drain, of coursr they will get drenched an fail.... if you have extended warr. , it should cover the repairs.... one more thing to look into is if the truck has had the water ingress tsb performed. If has not received it and can be proven it was supposed to have been recipient of such, lr may pick up the tab for repairs to factory std..

#10 ·
unfortunately I dont, further more, I just moved from one dealer ship to another on a sour leave so all my full acess to land rover factory info has been terminated.
I donot know when I may get it back (the acess) so until then I have to rely on my memmory of these things.. lol.
let me know how it goes....good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.