Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Clicking noise?!?!?

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Disco Mike 
#1 ·
Hey guys I believe I have exhaust leak. I have checked the manifolds and seem to be tight. But the Rove only clicks under acceleration( it almost sounds like a baseball card in spokes) and after it has come up to temperature. It is a 1999 DII with 179000 miles. It is the original exhaust, I will craw under it tomorrow, is there specific sections I should check? and is there and easy method to use? Any advise is great thanks.

#2 ·
Crawl under, with a flash light and inspect all the seals and bolts, looking for a grey/black soot stain indicating a leak.
If you don't find one it is either internal like the valve train or a burned out head gasket shooting exhaust out the side of one cylinder.

#3 ·
Hopefully you look at this again Mike...

Ok upon further review. There are no visible exhaust leaks on exhaust I went over all joint and clamps. I went back over all manifold bolts also. The noise is clearly on acceleration when the gas is released then noise stopped, or above 35-40.But if gas is held steady like at 55 noise returns. I also drove with moderate gas pedal and applied the brake and noise stopped immediately and when the brake was release and gas was held slightly on the noise returns. So my guess is brakes. I have Akebono pads ordered now that Advanced Auto has the 25% off special (code:BRAKE25), so I'll switch those out this week and see. If you think I should check anywhere else let me know.

#5 ·
Sound like you have ruled out an exhaust leak leaving only the normal internal valve train issue which is not too hard to correct.
If you want some help with this, send me your number and I'll call you Sunday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.