Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

New Engine

8K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  mtnranger 
#1 ·
Well, the time has come to put a new engine in my '03 Disco II. I am going to go the rebuilt route. I am considering Turner, Rover Cannibal and Oklahoma European. If anyone can offer advice on who to choose that would be great.

#2 ·
Why are you needing to replace your engine and be specific?

#3 ·
The block has been tested and has leaks in it. I either need a complete rebuild of the block or a new engine. I am leaning towards new block to get a warranty and a little peace of mind.

It overheated this fall and blew the head gasket a few weeks ago. Hadn't changed the thermostat which will now be a yearly exercise.

#4 ·
How was it tested and was it confirmed that you have dropped a sleeve or that you just have internal leaks as in head gaskets?

#5 ·
The heads were already tested, and one was bad. Got a new one. New lifters were put on, and the head was put back together. it was still overheating. The block was sent to a machine shop for testing and was found to have leaks. Exactly where and how I do not know, but I trust it was done right. Don't see the point in have it the engine I have rebuilt if I can get one that is already done by someone who does them often.

#6 ·
I would go with one of the Turner engines over the group in Oklahoma, heard way too many bad things about them over the years. Not sure about Rover Cannible.

#25 ·
A little clarification...

The engine supplier in Oklahoma that has a bad reputation is Rover Cannibal...not Oklahoma European. I am a representative of Oklahoma European and we are endorsed not only by Art Limacher at Rovers North, but also by Frida Turner at Turner Engineering in the U.K. We are a very reputable company and have excellent relationships with vendors, dealerships, independent shops and many customers within this forum.

Let me also say that my intention is not to slander Rover Cannibal, but to clarify that we are not the company in question, nor do we have a spotty reputation.

I completely understand how it could be easy to mistake us for someone else, especially with us being in the same state, but again, Oklahoma European is not the irreputable company that was referred to and we are not affiliated with them.

Thanks!

-OKEuro

#7 ·
What have you heard? Are there issues with the engines?

#8 ·
Over the last few years I have seen and talked to people that have engine related, customer service and warranty issues, some getting to the point of legal action.

#9 ·
I will go with Turner then. Will let you know how it turns out! Need my truck back and running well!

#10 ·
Richard Turner has every single certification that you can have of the highest level in the UK for engine reconditioners. His equipment is top-notch and he knows the product - and even offers a 2 yr warranty ok, you are unlikely to use it here in the USA, but that is more than anyone else offers)

With the exchange rate the way it is now, I'd go with one of his re-worked engines without hessitation.

#11 ·
I've decided on the Turner Rebuilt. I will get some pics and let everyone know how it goes.

#14 ·
How's the install going?

#15 ·
Got the Rover back today, and it sounds and runs very smooth. Have a whole 3 miles on it, but I will keep reporting on my experience. The shop took FOREVER to do the work, but he cut me a very nice deal on cost due to them being short handed. Here is a pic or two of the block prior to install.

#17 · (Edited)
too much time??

Let me tell you, if you did the job yourself you would understand why it taks as long as it does. There is no easy way to get this engine out or back in.
Every part on this is a pain in the ass to remove and install
What ever they charged you to pull and install the engine wasnt enough.
I am in the process of putting my new engine back in and it takes a lot of time and the right tools to do it right.

AC

#16 ·
...and we try again. Oh, it's not ticking anymore. This makes me very, very happy. I would recommend Turner. Two days to get the Block and very responsive.

Attachments

#18 ·
Update: The engine started misfiring so had to bring her back in. Thankfully they took the valve covers off and a couple of springs had broken. Nothing else damaged or hurt. New spring are on their way. Not sure if it was my old clinder head or the new used one we had reconditioned. So I recommend new springs. Getting mine from Turner like the engine.

Got my scangauge to so I can monitor codes so I will let you know what mileage is as it comes along.

#22 ·
I saw this thread came up and want to update everyone. Getting much better mileage with the new engine. Used 8 gallons less than I normally do on a drive from Minneapolis to Chicago, about 420 mile trip. I put in Rotella T6 after the first one thousand miles with a K&N 3001. The engine has a very different feel from my old one like it is growling at idle. Since I am taking it easy on the engine and not accelerating quickly I cannot tell you much about performance yet. After 5,000 miles I will press the accelerator a bit.

If you do get a new engine inspect your wiring harness and if in budget put in a new one. I have found some issues with my wiring that someone in the past rigged to work, but not very well. Also, new springs and rods. I had three springs break. Not a mechanic but my observation.

I love the Turner engine, and would buy it again. They are great to deal with even though they are in England. The price of the short block was the same as getting a whole engine from OK European or Rover Cannibal. In my case I had just had two cylinder heads re-decked so essentially wanted the block from Turner who seems to have the best reputation.

#23 ·
I'm curious about the valve springs. My machinists tests everyone before re-assembly of the heads and he has commented often about how consistent Rover valve springs are.

#24 ·
I kept one piece of spring as a keepsake from my old engine. She did give me a good 66,000 miles. Not the greatest picture, but you can see it has some wear and a clean break.

Attachments

#26 · (Edited)
OKEuro Excellent Service

I have done business with OKEuro, their customer service excellent. They are right on top of any question you have about the build a call or email they have promptly answered any of my questions via phone or emails. Rob has been upfront and honest with any of my concerns. I have the long block sitting in my garage ready to assemble. It arrived strapped tight on the pallet covered in heavy plastic to protect it from dirt and dust. I would recomment OKEuro to anyone without hesitation.
This is first hand , not someone telling someone a story they heard from someone else and getting the facts twisted up.
AC

#27 ·
Just found out the new engine is leaking from the main seal. Kind of bummed out. 7.6 hours to replace it. EDIT: We are taking off the sump to investigate.....

#29 ·
That has to be heart breaking after all that work! How much do you have in it at this point?

#30 ·
Sometimes oil seals can be a bit like light bulbs. Some will last years, others, less than five min. Unless it was installed wrong (unlikely as it would have leaked before now) there is not much you can do about it as an engine builder.

My 2c.

#32 ·
I just bought an 04 Discovery w/74k and new engine from Car Cannible/Cannible V8 and want to say that so far Ryan and Steve have been great to deal with. It had a oil pan leak and check engine code develop shortly after purchasing it. Had Auto Zone pull codes and found a lean left bank which pointed to oxygen sensor, called Steve back and explained what I found and he sent me an oxygen sensor because I live in Missouri and couldn't run it right back in. The sensor didn't cure the problem after all and the truck started to get the 3 amigos come on and off intermittently so I called Steve and he said to bring it back in. He found that a hose had come of the air pump which was causing the check engine code. He found the shuttle valve frayed wiring was activating the 3 amigos. The three amigos would come on at any time (moving or not) and go off when ever i turned off the engine. After restarting they would be off again but would eventually come back on until I turned it off again. He redone the oil pan gasket and now we have had it back a week and no more problems, all codes and alarms gone. This engine has a slightly larger cam and is really responsive compared to my old D1 and mileage is still 18 highway so it didn't suffer mpg from the power increase. I've had a great experience dealing with Car Cannible and Cannible V8 so far (fyi these are two separate companies, Steve runs Cannible V8 and Ryan runs Car Cannible). I'm not saying they haven't had problems in the past but my experience has been good so far. Keep in mind the problem with reviews are that folks don't share their good experiences as well as they share their bad ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.