97 D90. New Here and have the shift from park problem.
I am looking for some advice please. I have a auto repair shop and specialize on Toyota/Lexus vehicles. I have a very good friend who has a 1997 Defender 90. I have a good amount of work on this over the years. However.... It wont shift out of park all the time. I was reading here yesterday about this situation and have some questions please. My AllData Pro is pretty weak regarding repair info.
1. Is it best/easier to override the solenoid system as I have read here? If so, any links to the procedure?
2. Links to replace the solenoid?
These are the symptoms it is currently giving me.
1. When it will not shift from park I can hear the solenoid click.
2. I can get it to shift from park about every 5 to 10 keys functions.
3. The brake lights are inop when it WILL not shift from park. I have not verified the brake lights when it does work yet.
IMO it can't be a fuse since it is functioning intermittently. Solenoid sticking is where I am leaning???
I really appreciate any help you can provide. If any of you ever need anything regarding Toyota/Lexus help please don't hesitate. 30 years experience with them.