Defender vs Discover air filter housing????? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
2000 Land Rover Bushrangie

Gallery: 4
Default Defender vs Discover air filter housing?????

Been awhile, but if my memory serves me correctly, the D90 filter boxes were round/tubeular. The square Disco box is causing me to loose a couple inches of funtional wheel travel as it petrudes into the wheel well. Perhaps one of you stock D90 owners could be so kind as to provide me the dimensions of the filter box???? I am looking to swap square for round so unless someone tells me otherwise, I WILL BE IN THE MARKET FOR A D90 FILTER BOX$$$ HINT HINT I was also curious as to if this would affect the MAS (mass air flow sensor)? Thanx again for all of your time.
Michael
Al Capone
Bushranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 06:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

Location: Bloomfield, CT If I died today, I lived there all my life.
Gallery: 2

The '93 NAS 110, and '94 & '95 NAS 90 used the round filter housing, which is mouted to the bulkhead, horizontally, behind the plenum. The MAF is hard fitted to the filter housing, with a rigid fiber tube running between the throttle body and MAF.
The filter used on Classics is much the same, it just mounts in a different location, and may be better suited to installing in your Disco oriented engine bay.
The '97 NAS90 uses the quare, plastic filter housing much the same as the the Gems Disco.
You could probably adapt a filter housing used on the earlier (LUCAS) engines, Rangie or Defender, but the manner in which the MAF connects and clamps to it will need to be modified. You wont be able to use the earlier style MAF sensor.
TerryS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the info. Do you know why it is advised not to use K&N Air filters in rovers?
Al Capone
Old 06-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

I am not aware of any official warning against using the K&N filter. It's just a highly debated item as to it's usefulness. K&N's claim is that they allow more air to pass through, and under normal driving circumstances, that may be true, but I know from experience that they will plug up severely when driving in very dusty enviroments such as dry dirt roads. Much of the offroading I've done has been up in the Allegash, of northern Maine. These roads are unpaved, and almost all are on paper company land. The logging trucks haul the mail and stir up clouds of dust. If you pass one going the opposite direction, you'll be in a cloud of dust for nearly a mile afterwards and every square inch of your truck will be coated, inside and out. When you see one coming at you, you have to roll the windows up and close the vents ASAP. One day of that and your filter will be so choked up the truck may not restart. The oil coated filter will not let any air pass through.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Gallery: 0

K&N air filters (the oil in it) mess up the hot wire MAFs used in the D2. Most others aren't as sensitive (Land Rover or otherwise)
Old 06-11-2009, 05:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrummal View Post
K&N air filters (the oil in it) mess up the hot wire MAFs used in the D2. Most others aren't as sensitive (Land Rover or otherwise)
It isn't just the D2. All hotwire MAF sensors get messy if you over oil the K&N filter.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

I ended up cleaning my MAS (DID NOT USE BRAKE CLEANER) and havent had any isues since. On another post I was ridiculed for this. Bosch MAS'S that sensative to a lil spring cleaning? I live in a dusty farm community and I think my snorkel does a good job of shoving dust up my K&NS rear, gumming up my MAS.
Al Capone
Old 06-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Like's ROVER ride's ,agitating,pimping poodle's ,tv

Gallery: 1
Thumbs up

POST some pictures please very nice rover
96 discovery Three types of suffering !!
03 discovery The snorkel
SAM3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank You very much for the gracious compliment. I'm taking her into the city tommorrow to a Cubs game. My gf loves to video peoples reactions when were driving it around. I will post this as well as some new pics as well as some vids of her capabilities soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Defender vs Discover air filter housing?????-bushranger-2.jpg   Defender vs Discover air filter housing?????-bushranger-4.jpg   Defender vs Discover air filter housing?????-landrover-bushranger.jpg   Defender vs Discover air filter housing?????-bushranger-5.jpg   Defender vs Discover air filter housing?????-bushranger-6.jpg  

Defender vs Discover air filter housing?????-bushranger-7.jpg   Defender vs Discover air filter housing?????-bushranger-8.jpg   Defender vs Discover air filter housing?????-bushranger-9.jpg  
Al Capone
Old 06-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
It isn't just the D2. All hotwire MAF sensors get messy if you over oil the K&N filter.
x2. A friend of mine had to replace the MAF on his Ford Ranger after installing a K&N. Buyer beware!
tcpfl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Cool

Of course K&N will argue this, but hot wire AFM's and oil permeated filter media just do not mix. They will kill the Air Flow Meter. Not a matter of if, but when.

This is true of any make and model. The main problem is over oiling after cleaning, and it is very hard not to do. But even with the "proper" amount of oil, the accumulation will ultimately reduce efficiency by increasing resistance, and finally killing the piece. I experienced this on more than one occasion, even getting in a pissing match with K&N over a customers AFM. I'll never use them again.
Grumpy Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Defender

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.