Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

02 Freelander Vibration BAD. Please advise.

7K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  debaser 
#1 ·
Hi,

More issues with my Freelander and I could use some advice. I've looked at some other similar threads but I'm not sure they fit my description exactly.

I have a BAD vibration which is rapidly getting worse every day. When accelerating I get vibration all through the car.

Originally it was at low speed when under load. Now I notice it more on the highway above 50. When I'm not accelerating it used to all but go away. However in recent days in addition to the vibration, the font is making a knocking sound when turning right and at higher speeds 80+

There had always been a rubbing / low woo-woo noise when turning hard all the way (like when turning hard into a parking spot. I'm thinking its related.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Its not my tires or alignment I know that. Its got 130,000 miles on it.

#3 ·
It's probably the carrier bearings fore and aft of the viscous coupling in the driveshaft.

I have one in stock and can have another mid-next week.

Replacement is kinda tricky and requires creativity with a hydraulic press.

#4 ·
Thanks for your replies. My garage suspected the front cv joints. It's got nothing to do with the rear end at all. He disconnected the rear shaft and it still had vibration.

Repairs for each side were about 750 a piece for OEM parts. Best case scenario was aftermarket parts 375 per side.

The above info is for the benefit of the community. I myself have decided to abandon ship. The car was traded today and this is likely my last landrover post. I consider myself rather lucky to have been able to get it to 130,000 miles. I'm glad its over.

#6 ·
Hate to dig up an old thread like this but I'm currently going through the same headache.
Got the same "woo-woo" noise when turning and vibration and low speed / lots of torque even when going straight.

So far:
  • Replaced Both CV axles
  • Replaced Motor Mounts

Cant be the brakes cause those have been changed out

Our mechanic has all but given up... but this car has plenty of life left in her.

I know the OP is long gone but does anybody suggestions?

Did the carrier bearings around the VCU help?

I'd take it to a dealer but the nearest one is 2000 miles and a long boat trip away!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.