2003 Freelander will not start - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default 2003 Freelander will not start

I have a 2003 Freelander and had some troubles with it this weekend. I attempted to start i and the battery was dead. I assumed that I left something on so I jumped it and drove it to the store. When I came out of the store, I found that the battery was again dead. So I had it jump started again. Believing that the battery was no good, I purchased a new one and replaced it. While replacing it the Horn kept going off. I tried to start it and now it will do nothing when I turn the key. I have checked the battery cable connections and made sure that they were nice and tight. When turning the key all internal electrical accessories come on except for the stereo.

I called my local dealer's service shop and they told me to attempt to turn the key 20 to 30 times or until it starts; if it does not then it is something else. This obviously did not help. The dealership has stated that they will look at it on Thursday but did not sound too confident that they could fix it.

I am a little afraid to take it in to them to find out that it is something simple like a fuse or a relay and then get charged an arm and a leg. Has anyone dealt with a similar issue that can provide a little insight?

Thanks in advance.
GDubNgr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Freelander wont start

I have the same problem .. . the engine won't crank after boosting the battery. Al dashboard lights turn on but when I turn the key further, it only produces a clicking sound. Did you get an answer for your problem. PLease advise. Thanks.
Mynameisjun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had similar issues with my '04 SE3 - car would intermittently start, sometimes not at all, sometimes start right up. I thought it was the battery, but it was the starter. I even got my starter tested and was told it was good, but since it was replaced my car starts 100% of the time. Sorry for the late response, hope this helps any in the future!
chi_rover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like it may be immobilized, (battery dead and no remote it thinks it's been tampered with), if the key chime is making a Coo Koo sound, it lost it's market programming. Either way a trip to the dealer should make it right. It needs to be plugged in to a T4 computer and be relearned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Freelander / LR2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.