2008 LR2 After Market In-Dash Navigation - Page 2 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know what fuse to use? Do you just use a fuse tap in?

I'm really thinking about doing this, although I'd hate to give up the cubby as it is the best spot for my iPhone, wallet, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 08:05 PM

Thanks

Thanks to the previous poster who posted the wonderful step by step instructions. A Best Buy technician did the install for me following your directions and it works well.

Just a note to anyone thinking of doing the same thing. The Magellan unit will be on all the time and does not turn off until you turn your engine off. This is something that I was disappointed with, but other then that it looks like original navigation system and I am happy with it. It turns off with the engine and the satellite reception works great. Audio comes out of the unit and volume not an issue.

The unit even has night mode automatically. Just wish it could be turned off from the touch screen. If anyone figures that out let me know.
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 08:06 PM

Thanks for posting it works great.

post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:04 PM

post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 11:44 AM

I was looking in the menu and there is an auto display off I think...is that what you are looking for? Why would you not want it on?
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 01:00 PM

Success! Thanks again for the great instructions. I've learned a lot along the way and I think it turned out really nice. A couple notes that I would like to pass on to the next person to undertake this mod-

-The screws that you need to take out require a Torx T20 wrench. I picked up a variable size tool on Amazon for $7.

-Removing the fascia is a lot harder than it seems. I had to use a flathead screw driver on both sides near the bottom to pry it loose. There are some snaps that are a little tricky to get off:

-I didn't have a grinder but was able to pry off pieces using a vise grip. Get the big chunks off and then use a sharp Swiss Army knife to smooth it out. I thought about using a lighter to soften the plastic and then cut but decided against it.

-Be sure to shave off all of the plastic to make a nice flush fit.

You need one of these 12V extensions (Radioshack or Bestbuy would have them):

Amazon.com: CIGARETTE LIGHTER EXTENSION: Automotive Amazon.com: CIGARETTE LIGHTER EXTENSION: Automotive

The GPS is looking for a 12V source, which is then dropped down to 5V within the cigarette lighter plug. Using an extension preserves that. Cut off the plug part and hook the positive end to one of these add a circuits:

Amazon.com: Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse: Automotive Amazon.com: Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse: Automotive

You need the small version, not the larger one. They have them at Autozone and Advance Autoparts.

Make sure you know which wire is positive and negative. Use a battery and a multimeter to figure it out...The positive is at the bottom of the adaptor, the sides are the ground.

-I used fuse slot F5 in the passenger fuse box (it is switched) to connect my extension. I was extra cautious and used a a 5A fuse for the main connection, and a 2.5A for the accessory add on:

The ground was a pain to do. The bolt holding the fuse box requires a socket wrench with extension, and the bolt is too long for the nut, so my socket wrench couldn't get a grip. I ended up scratching a little of the white paint off of the fuse box mounting bracket and duct taping the ground to it. I need to find some electrical tape instead....

The GPS works great, and I would bet it is better than the stock system. Considering my salesman said that I wouldn't miss the Nav option because "it is a piece of crap", I believe I made the right decision. Paid $220 on eBay, and probably another $30 for epoxy, torx wrench, circuit and extension. It's a great project! Any questions feel free to ask.
post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 08:22 AM

Did you try this? Does it have north american roads on it?
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 08:14 AM

KJMASS1,

I am asking you because you did the install recently-is there any way to also zip-tie GPS to fix it to the facia, in addition to using epoxy glue - I am thinking of multiple presses on the screen and if they eventually would losen up the unit..?

Thanx a lot
post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1964 View Post
KJMASS1,

I am asking you because you did the install recently-is there any way to also zip-tie GPS to fix it to the facia, in addition to using epoxy glue - I am thinking of multiple presses on the screen and if they eventually would losen up the unit..?

Thanx a lot
I can't imagine a zip-tie being any more secure. With the epoxy the unit isn't going anywhere. The screen is pretty responsive you don't have to hit it too hard. Just load it up with glue.
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 02:17 PM

thanks,
I was thinking of using zip-tie (or something similar) in addition to epoxy

Last edited by m1964; 10-25-2010 at 05:28 PM.
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmass1 View Post
I can't imagine a zip-tie being any more secure. With the epoxy the unit isn't going anywhere. The screen is pretty responsive you don't have to hit it too hard. Just load it up with glue.
Thanks- I just did it yesterday, and no zip ties needed-epoxy should do just fine holding the unit in place.

thanks again
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 08:53 AM

nice solution

I was thinking of doing this exact same mod in order to get a gps head unit that played multi media as well. After test driving a LR2 with tech package for a weekend. I really grew to like the factory GPS and got one with my LR2. I still really like the factory GPS and just an fyi to those on the fence. Give the tech package a try....it is not that bad...
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
I was thinking of doing this exact same mod in order to get a gps head unit that played multi media as well. After test driving a LR2 with tech package for a weekend. I really grew to like the factory GPS and got one with my LR2. I still really like the factory GPS and just an fyi to those on the fence. Give the tech package a try....it is not that bad...
No one says tech package is bad, it is the fact that many just do not need/use NAV - since I intalled Magellan 2 weeks ago I used it once or twice, because I drive locally mostly and know my roads. Occaisonally it is good to have even to find a gas station or a plce to eat if you are travelling, etc.

This 7" Magellan looks as good as OEM, and gives basic functionality for fraction of the cost - my install was $160 all together ( I bought a refurbished unit).
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 12:22 PM

Does anyone know if this will work for 2006 LR3?
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06LR3- View Post
Does anyone know if this will work for 2006 LR3?
The way he showed to "hardwire" it into the fuse box will work, but the opening in the LR3 is different....although it is the same size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Freelander / LR2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.