2008 LR2 After Market In-Dash Navigation - Page 3 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
More detail around the volume

I am thinking of doing this solution but with a Magellan RoadMate 9055. This will give me Bluetooth as well but I am concerned if the sound will be loud enough. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadrich View Post
I am thinking of doing this solution but with a Magellan RoadMate 9055. This will give me Bluetooth as well but I am concerned if the sound will be loud enough. Thoughts?
I don't know where is mike located on that unit, but on my refurbished 1700 volume is good enough to hear directions, voice clarity is not the best at higher volumes.

Did you look into installing a Parrot BT system?
post #33 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 06:59 AM

I picked up the 1700 and have it set to go to the shop tomorrow for install. Thank you, everyone for your input and especially fatherpippy for your incredibly detailed instructions and photos. While I'm not as brave as you to do the work I was able to show it to my local shop, to save time on discovery and whatever other charges they would have thrown my way.

I do have a question for anyone with the 1700. I noticed a few people said it has a video-in line. I was wondering how that line is activated? Do I have to touch the screen and turn the auxiliary line on through some type of menu? Reason I ask is... this is perfect solution for a backup camera. It can easily be connected to the reverse of the car but seems useless if I need to press the menu button and select a new source.
-or-
does it display the video source from the auxiliary line as soon as its plugged in?

Thanks in advance. Worst case I will post my findings on this page tomorrow.

post #34 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 07:14 PM

post #35 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 07:18 PM

Just installed a Magellan 1700 into my wife's 2009 LR2. The installation instructions provided by fatherpippy were spot on...so thank you for that. For those interested I used fuse location F5 via the diagram on the fuse box located under the glove box...as stated above the unit turns on and off with the vehicle. The voice guide On the unit is clear and loud...I actually turned the volume down...the unit had great satellite reception...

Again...thank you fatherpippy for your pictured guided installation instructions...ensured a smooth and professional instal!
post #36 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 04:42 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone for their contribution to this thread. I recently purchased a 2008 LR2 and completed this install and it looks and works amazing. The one difference was that I took apart the mount bracket for the window and the used two screws through the little coin holder thingy and then once you put back the cover you don't even see them. This allows for a much more solid install and then only a little epoxy near the top of the unit to finish the deal. Thanks again to everyone.
post #37 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 09:03 AM

2011 R2 - Magellan 1700 v. 9055

Hi:

I am picking up a 2011 LR2 this week and unfortunately a factory NAV is not an option (Dealer quoted $5k to install after purchase). I found this thread and I am highly interested in installing a Magellan 1700 or 9055.

I do not need the bluetooth capabity of the NAV as it is instaled on the vehicle with the satalite radio so I don't know if it is worth it to go with the 9055. I was hoping to get some feedback on the reliablity of the 1700 installs on this page and if you would still recomend now a few years down the line. Especially because it does not appear that you can reverse the install once you take the plunge.

Also I was hoping to see if anyone performed the install with the 1700 or 9055 with a backup camera. I was not planning on using the Magellan wireless camera, as I hear wireless can be less than relaible and the picture quality wasn't great. I was going to attempt to instal a BOYO VTL375HD HD Rear View Camera and hard wire into the Magelan NAV.

Please let me know if anyone has attempted an install of the 1700 or 9055 with a hard wired back-up camera.

Thank you for your help on this matter.
-Dave
post #38 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmayland78 View Post
Hi:

I am picking up a 2011 LR2 this week and unfortunately a factory NAV is not an option (Dealer quoted $5k to install after purchase). I found this thread and I am highly interested in installing a Magellan 1700 or 9055.

I do not need the bluetooth capabity of the NAV as it is instaled on the vehicle with the satalite radio so I don't know if it is worth it to go with the 9055. I was hoping to get some feedback on the reliablity of the 1700 installs on this page and if you would still recomend now a few years down the line. Especially because it does not appear that you can reverse the install once you take the plunge.

Also I was hoping to see if anyone performed the install with the 1700 or 9055 with a backup camera. I was not planning on using the Magellan wireless camera, as I hear wireless can be less than relaible and the picture quality wasn't great. I was going to attempt to instal a BOYO VTL375HD HD Rear View Camera and hard wire into the Magelan NAV.

Please let me know if anyone has attempted an install of the 1700 or 9055 with a hard wired back-up camera.

Thank you for your help on this matter.
-Dave
After a year I haven't had any problems with the 1700. There was an issue where maybe once a month, the unit wouldn't shut off when I turned the car off. I performed a software update (so easy with the USB cable in the glovebox), and for the past couple months it hasn't happened since. It wasn't a huge deal, you would just have to turn the ACC on and off and it would turn off.

Navigation works as expected. If you are coming from a smaller unit, you'll notice that the map movement isn't silky smooth when rotating/zooming. It's not a big deal, but something I noticed. Saving locations to the quick menu is great.

I tend to keep it on mute. The volume at high volumes isn't great. It also seems to give audio directions more frequently than my other unit. For example, if I get on I-95 and am going to be on it for 100 miles, just tell me when there are big splits. It seems to be ringing all the time for smaller exits. I wish I could turn off voice navigation and just have the bell for turns. Again, not a big deal.

Bottom line, if it is between spending $5K or $400, it is a no-brainer. From what I've heard from dealer reps themselves, is that their navigation systems "are a piece of crap." DVD based, and expensive for upgrade discs.
post #39 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 12:50 PM

Hi, thanks for the quick response. I am glad to see that the 1700 is still working well after the updates. I aso will probably will keep the volume down on the navigation unless I am on unfamilair side streets.

Did you by any chance atempt to hook up a back up camera to the unit?

Thanks again,
Dave
post #40 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmohan View Post
Hi,

Thanks for posting it. It is very helpful. I have a 2010 LR2 and was wondering if the dash board cubby size has changed from 2008 model year.
I am looking to install on a 2011 LR2, do you know if the cubby is still the same size?

Thanks
post #41 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmohan View Post
Hi,

Thanks for posting it. It is very helpful. I have a 2010 LR2 and was wondering if the dash board cubby size has changed from 2008 model year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofilejoe View Post
I picked up the 1700 and have it set to go to the shop tomorrow for install. Thank you, everyone for your input and especially fatherpippy for your incredibly detailed instructions and photos. While I'm not as brave as you to do the work I was able to show it to my local shop, to save time on discovery and whatever other charges they would have thrown my way.

I do have a question for anyone with the 1700. I noticed a few people said it has a video-in line. I was wondering how that line is activated? Do I have to touch the screen and turn the auxiliary line on through some type of menu? Reason I ask is... this is perfect solution for a backup camera. It can easily be connected to the reverse of the car but seems useless if I need to press the menu button and select a new source.
-or-
does it display the video source from the auxiliary line as soon as its plugged in?

Thanks in advance. Worst case I will post my findings on this page tomorrow.
Hi, just wanted to know if you ended up hooking up the back up camera? If you did, any feedback you could give me would be greatly appriciated it.

Thanks
post #42 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 01:43 PM

Need Help

Hello I'm looking for a Indash Nav for my 2008 land rover lr2 but can't seem to find any if anyone knows where please email me at JLebowitz11@gmail.com

Thanks
post #43 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 09:47 AM

I did this mod too, looks very OEM and fairly easy to do! Thanks OP for this alternative, saved me about a thousand dollars. I also wrapped those outdated dash trim pieces with 3M Dinoc carbon fiber sheets. That required alot more skill and dexterity since you have to work and stretch the material around the curves and edges of the trim. I also did the door pulls and shifter too!

post #44 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 02:49 AM

indash tablet

Hello,
I was thinking of installing the Google Nexus 7 tablet into my 2008 Freelander 2 and this thread helped me a lot. Thank you and please share your opion about my idea. I have not bought the tablet yet but I've seen it and I like it very much. My firs problem was that is had the menu only in portrait mode which was innappropiate. Today i found on youtube that there is an update setting the menu in landscape mode, which is great for my project with this tab.

Waiting for comments. Thanks !
post #45 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margelatu View Post
Hello,
I was thinking of installing the Google Nexus 7 tablet into my 2008 Freelander 2 and this thread helped me a lot. Thank you and please share your opion about my idea. I have not bought the tablet yet but I've seen it and I like it very much. My firs problem was that is had the menu only in portrait mode which was innappropiate. Today i found on youtube that there is an update setting the menu in landscape mode, which is great for my project with this tab.

Waiting for comments. Thanks !
great tablet, but it does not fit, it hits the side vents, it is half a centimeter wider....too bad ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poz? (5).jpg
Views:	2570
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	38417  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Freelander / LR2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.