Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

2008 LR2 HSE - Steering Column Locked message / car won't start

18K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  carlhamieux 
#1 ·
I've seen a couple of these threads, but no one updates on what the fix was so I am hoping someone on here can help.

When I go to put the key into the car, it makes a lot of clicking noises (like more than normal it seems or maybe I am just paying closer attention to it). Then, when I press the start button it says system check in progress and clicks more. Finally, a message saying "steering column locked" comes up. The car doesn't even attempt to start.

I replaced the car battery a few months ago and I checked it with my voltage meter. It seems to be okay.

Troubleshooting I have done:
-Tried starting the car while in neutral
-Unplugged battery for 12+ hours
-Tried my spare key to start car
-Tried holding down the start button
-Hooked car up to another car via jumper cables and tried to start
-reprogramming the key by trying to start the car, taking the key out and holding down the unlock button while pressing the lock button three times and then tried to start the car again
-Manually locking and unlocking the door and then attempting to start
-Left both keys in the key holder for over an hour with the car powered on in hopes that it would recharge the key if that's the issue OR re-sync with the anti theft system

The other things I will try this evening when it cools down:
Hard reset by unplugging battery, letting rest for 15 mins and then touching negative and positive cables together and then plugging battery back in

If that doesn't work, I will also try hooking the battery up to my other car for an extended period of time.

I'd also like to try taking the fuse for the steering column out, but I can't find which number it is. Does anyone know?

Are there any other suggestions? If not, I guess my final choice is to have it towed to the shop. Either way, I will be sure to come back and update with the specifics of the problem because I know how frustrating it can be to not get an update.

Thanks for reading this entire thing. I'll take any troubleshooting suggestions!

See less See more
#3 ·
I tried the hard reset thing. It didn't work.

I located the fuse and pulled it out. The car still had the same message about the steering column being locked which I thought would be gone if the fuse was gone. Would that not be the case? At any rate, I put it back in and tried to crank the car and it still didn't work.

Anything else I can try before I get this thing towed?

#4 ·
I removed the steering column cover and unplugged everything. It still didn't work. I did notice that there is a lot of clicking going on when I insert my key fob and take it out. It's like clicky, click, click, clicky, click, click, clicky, click, click ... click click. It does the same clicking cycle when I insert the key and remove it. It sounds like it is coming from the fuse boxes (the one inside of the car on the passenger side and the one under the hood on the driver's side).

I don't know what else to try at this point. The steering column locked message has been consistent and it doesn't even attempt to start. I have someone that knows about cars coming over in two days to check it out as the final move before towing it. I'm guessing with all the clicking it's doing it's something electrical. Hopefully it's just a random software thing and not the steering column. I've read those are pretty expensive to fix. :-/

#8 ·
hi mate , i did get exactly the same trouble , and since one year i used to disconnect my batterie positive cos every time before crank the engine either i am not doing that the engine will do all the exacte same click click click lol , can you explain where exactly did you find that loose connection with the starter , i have to investigate in that way ;) tanks a lot hoping your respond

CARL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.