2008 lr2 loud whistling noise (engine compartment)? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2008 lr2 loud whistling noise (engine compartment)?

I have a 2008 land rover lr2. It just started making an incredibly loud whistling
noise yesterday. I removed the engine cover to observe the intake system or perhaps the alternator belt as well as the power steering. the noise is not coming from either alt. or ps belts. It sounds like a loud vacuum leak. The check engine light has come on listing codes p0171 and p0174. Has anybody had this issues that could offer any tips or advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I suggest you have a look at the various pipes connecting the turbo as some of the rubber pipes are known to split causing the kind of noises you are describing.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 12:03 PM

Definitely what Bossbob said. See if the vacuum lines near the EGR valve are in good shape. Just a thought. Good luck.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 02:42 PM
Returning Rover

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Cool

2008 LR2 doesn't have a turbo it has the Volvo straight six.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 02:44 PM
Returning Rover

Do you always hear the noise? Idling, driving, etc. Is the a/c on?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovingvic View Post
2008 LR2 doesn't have a turbo it has the Volvo straight six.
Apologies, here in the UK we only have the straight 4 turbo diesels and the symptoms given indicate a split or loose turbo pipe. I'd still have a look around the air intake system after the air filter.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 03:35 PM
Returning Rover

My apologies! I didn't notice that 99series2 was in the UK. We never saw the diesel in the U.S.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 09:55 PM

I have Check Engine Light on with P0171 and P0174 and intermittent loud whistling noise at idle. It disappears with engine revs or oil filler cap/dipstick removals at idle. I've been through other forum sites and learned that it could be related to PCV valve but I couldn't find any PCV valve thingys on LR2 sites. Please help me with the issue. It usually comes up after 20-30 mile driving. Mine is 2008 LR2 SE 87K miles on it.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99series2 View Post
I have a 2008 land rover lr2. It just started making an incredibly loud whistling
noise yesterday. I removed the engine cover to observe the intake system or perhaps the alternator belt as well as the power steering. the noise is not coming from either alt. or ps belts. It sounds like a loud vacuum leak. The check engine light has come on listing codes p0171 and p0174. Has anybody had this issues that could offer any tips or advice?
I have the exact same issue and codes, but with a 2010 LR2....did you ever find what the cause was?

Loud whistling noise from engine

Cheers

Doug
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 12:29 PM

Exclamation 2008 LR2 Loud Whistling Noise

I work at a dealership and my 08' Land Rover LR2 @ 87,xxx miles just started doing the whistle while idling this this past weekend.

Had a one of the mechanics take a look at it and from my understanding the PCV Valve is whats causing this whistling sound. Apparently over time the engine has a build up of oil and the part connecting it to the dipstick is making that sound because it needs to be replaced. Everytime he lifted the yellow dipstick thing the noise stopped. That said the PCV Valve is built in with the Cylinder Head Cover and needs to be replaced all together. See link below for what it looks like and what's needed:

#LR023777: Land Rover. Engine Valve Cover. VALVE COVER.

** This was the best link I could find that looks like what my mechanic pointed out/printed out for me from the parts guys.
** When looking at the link scroll down to #4 & 5 this is what my mechanic told me it is. Either way I would have a mechanic check to make sure, but the part cost me 136.00 from my part guys
Doogles and swerve784 like this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMichelle View Post
I work at a dealership and my 08' Land Rover LR2 @ 87,xxx miles just started doing the whistle while idling this this past weekend.

Had a one of the mechanics take a look at it and from my understanding the PCV Valve is whats causing this whistling sound. Apparently over time the engine has a build up of oil and the part connecting it to the dipstick is making that sound because it needs to be replaced. Everytime he lifted the yellow dipstick thing the noise stopped. That said the PCV Valve is built in with the Cylinder Head Cover and needs to be replaced all together. See link below for what it looks like and what's needed:

#LR023777: Land Rover. Engine Valve Cover. VALVE COVER.

** This was the best link I could find that looks like what my mechanic pointed out/printed out for me from the parts guys.
** When looking at the link scroll down to #4 & 5 this is what my mechanic told me it is. Either way I would have a mechanic check to make sure, but the part cost me 136.00 from my part guys
Thank you very much! This is very helpful!

Cheers

Doug
KatieMichelle and swerve784 like this.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 04:13 PM

I just wanted to confirm that this did fix my issue, the cylinder head cover (aka valve cover) is essentially a PCV valve....In the below pictures you may even be able to see the failed diaphragm seal in the cover....

My initial post Loud whistling noise from engine

The top of the new cover, and the underside of the old cover.

Closer up of the PCV valve.

The top of the engine with the cover off, there is nothing there but two open holes to the crankcase on the drivers side.

Visual confirmation of the failed valve.

The new cover installed.

Thanks again KatieMichelle!!

Cheers

Doug
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 07:52 PM

Glad to hear you found a solution!

Quick question, when you ordered the new part (LR023777), did it come with the gasket as well?

Thanks
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjk4 View Post
Glad to hear you found a solution!

Quick question, when you ordered the new part (LR023777), did it come with the gasket as well?

Thanks
Yes, it did come with a gasket....I wish I would have opened the box before I left the dealer to find that out, because they sold me a gasket separately that I had to return later lol

Cheers
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 11:18 AM

Hello all,

I been having the same issue on my 2009 LR@ with 70k miles on the clock. I recently replaced the alternator and that was about $800 so I am not happy about this. I did a search on the whistling noise and the range rover owners related it to a bad ECU fan. I tried looking for this fan on the LR2 but no luck and I am not going to start dissecting the car until I know for sure what is wrong and where the faulty part is located. I took the car to the mechanic who replaced the alternator and he said something about the power steering pump might be on its way out. He then said he used some sonar instrument that locates noise and that is where its coming from. I wondered about that, but anyway I am glad I found this thread and I will start the car now and heat it up to provoke the noise, remove the dipstick and see if it goes away. If so I will order the parts and change them myself since they sit atop of the engine. It looks like a fairly easy task. I just heard the noise and sure enough it went away when I removed the dipstick. Going to order the part now and swap it myself. Do I have to use any gasket sealer on the gasket? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Freelander / LR2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.