Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Considering a 2008 LR2 HSE... ADVICE?

22K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  shubb 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm considering a used 2008 LR2 HSE. Clean Carfax, excellent condition. It would be my first experience with Land Rover.

I've done some Googling and it seems some people love these cars and have a no trouble, then I read about electrical problems and other nightmares.

Any advice on reliability/maintenance on this thing? My last two vehicles were 90's Rangers and I'm quite able to perform most maintenance myself. (Oil change, plugs, pads/rotors, etc)

Should I buy it? What are your thoughts on this vehicle?

#2 · (Edited)
Anything I should be on the look out for during the test drive? My biggest concern is with the seemingly widespread reports of rear-end (differential, Haldex, etc) issues. From what I've read, this seems to affect most of the 2008 LR2s, but the one I'm looking at has not had the rear-end replaced or pinion service. At 71K miles, I'm wondering if I would be buying a $5K problem in a couple years.

#3 ·
Hello Majik357

As an owner of a 08 LR2 HSE, I can absolutely tell you that you will have to replace the rear differential at some point. The good news is you can find remanufactured diffs at 1/3 of the price of a new one. I replaced mine with about 70k on it and I now have 196k on the car and am looking a doing another one. Overall I have spent about 5k on this vehicle (not including brakes/tires) over the last 5 years so not too bad. If you buy it would immediately do a diff fluid service on it as it will help. You may want to do the pinion gear service as well depending on the KM. Other than this issue it it has been a great suv. BTW Ford F-150's have this exact same issue, sometimes the fluid change early on helps, sometimes it doesn't.

BTW, if you haven't driven it yet, when you drive it you'll know if there's something up with the rear diff as it'l make a loud whining noise, or grinding when turning at low speeds.

Good luck in your decision

#4 ·
I really liked my 08 and 09. Had rear end problems on both. A few years back I was Offroadvic and you will see many of my posts in the LR2 rear end thread. I was without a Rover for about 2 years and when I bought my Evoque I came back as Rovingvic.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. I haven't driven it yet - hoping to drive up to the lot later this week. It's a good 2.5hrs away.

Sure looks to be in good condition, otherwise. Interior/exterior is immaculate.

Where did you find the cheaper re manufactured rear end? Cost? How long did it take to get the parts and install?

#6 ·
Majik357,

My local mechanic got the diff from land rover UK as a remanufactured part with a one year warranty, it cost about 1600CAN not including installation. It only took a few days to get it. Since then I have found another repair shop that can source used ones in good condition for a few hundred dollars so I'll go that way for the next one.

BTW, I neglected to mention that I really love the LR2 which is why I feel it's worth fixing. All you have to do is drive something else to remind yourself of this, most other SUVS aren't as nice with the exception of Audi or BMW but they are way more $$$ and probably have more issues. I've owned a couple of BMWs so I know....

#7 ·
Im looking at an 08, for my wife today. It has 72, xxx miles on it and the dealer is asking $16g for it. Other than the rear diff, any other issues I need to look for? I imagine the price is a bit high, but its a lot cheaper than what she really wants (Volvo xc60 t6). As she needs an auto, and wants to be able to haul a dog around, this is a stop gap decision for a lot less money.

#9 ·
nooo. I got talked into mine, 2011 lr2. i hate it. beside the rear end being replaced- the leather seats are hard as rock-they dont soften up-cup holders awkward for me, doesnt have half the tech goodies i can get on a lesser cross over with 100K warranty. the back gate doesnt lift automatically,or with key click. the windsheild cracked all the way accross first time it got down to 11 here just sitting under carport overnite- thats 500$ alone. only good thing i can say is it turns on a dime, and seat heaters are good. you can get that on any of them. this is more of an off road,more rugged type vehicle in my opinion. Not more dependable, and as for 4WD- I dont drive in Ice and snow anyways, so doesnt matter. I dont need all terrain features. i only drive it in town. its just not a smooth riding, comfortable city type vehicle to me, which is all I want. mI going for a different one that has more features,alot more comfort,and double warranty. My husbands trailblazer ss has wonderful cushey seats, and 3x features my Lr2 does. Just My opinion of course- but beware talking her into something shes hesititant on...youll never hear end of it if she really doesnt like it- ask my hubby- he wished hed let me pick my own without all the pressure to buy this name- just cuz its a Landrover. dont be fooled-just cuz its a landrover, audi,VW,or even mercedes:- they have problems too.ask me how I know that! most are bascially same parts, as my mechanic will say. just be sure she is excited about it and really likes whatever shes going to be driving every day. :wink

#8 ·
I have a 2008 I have owned since new. I now have over 110,000 miles on it with NO ISSUES. It has not been to the dealer since 50,000 miles. I have done all the oil changes since then myself. I love my LR2 and will be very unhappy when the day comes that I will have to part with it. One of the favorite vehicles I have owned.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.