Freelander Problems Again - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Freelander Problems Again

Well it has happened again , we have had this vehicle for less than 4 months and it has given me more problems than any other vehicle I have ever owned. The Freelander is a 2002 AWD 2.5L V6 with 65,000 miles. It has been somewhat less problematic for the last couple months and I had began to think that it was going to straighten up for a bit. Today as my wife was going to work she calls me to tell me that this POS was shaking like she was constatly driving on the rumble strip, so I told her to come back home and I would take her to work in my reliable vehicle. When she finally got back home I test drove it myself and it felt like a horrible misfire even at idle, it barely had enough power to pull itself up to the hill to get to the house. I could not get above 50 mph and it was running very hard to do that. For one or two seconds during driving it, I think it had quit missing and starting running right again, but that only lasted for a short time and it began to misfire again.
The service engine soon light was on so I used to diagnostic tool to attempt to pull the code but it only said error, and finally I could get a pending code that said P0410, but that does not really account for the horrible running and no power.

I thought at first it seemed like a bad plug wire or coil but it was not throwing a code for misfire. I also thought that maybe it was a plugged catalytic convertor but I have not had time to pull that yet and check it.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am really at my wits end with this junker, when we first bought it I had to replace all the vacuum hose becasue they were all broke, and it has the codes for the Variable Intake motors that come and go but they have not been on in a while and I don't think that they would cause the misfire, but then again I don't think that Land rover would follow common logic. It is not experiencing any type of lean backfire when I rev the engine under no load and I have seen no smoke to suggest an over rich condition.ANY IDEAS?
6.0f2504x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2008, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

If anyone was wondering the outcome of this , I fixed it this morning. It turns out that the wires going to the #6 coil in the back had gotten mashed or tore apart somehow and it had completely become seperated, therefore cylinder #6 was getting no spark. It is running as good as new now.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Glad it was something minor, and too much hassle for you. I love my vehicle, but there does seem to be a few more problems than should be reasonable. Thankfully, drivetrain problems seem to be somewhat less than window motors, sunroof assemblies, and such.

You obviously have some knowledge about mechanics, and can save yourself a lot of money looking after your vehicle, yourself. A HUGE plus.

Anyway, good luck with your truck. I hope you have a much better experience, hereout.

Last edited by 2002 Freebie; 08-30-2008 at 03:27 AM. Reason: misspelling
2002 Freebie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Former LR tech, Albany NY

hey guess what, at 72k you need all new timing belts.

thats a eight hour job with special tools.

thats not if the heater core is leaking coolant, the bottle is cracked or worse the engine has slipped a liner and mixes with coolant.

also check for coolant on the plug. if its orange tinged the head gaskets are leaking into the cylinder.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovin4life View Post
hey guess what, at 72k you need all new timing belts.

thats a eight hour job with special tools.

thats not if the heater core is leaking coolant, the bottle is cracked or worse the engine has slipped a liner and mixes with coolant.

also check for coolant on the plug. if its orange tinged the head gaskets are leaking into the cylinder.
Yeah I have already read about all those joys, and am not looking forward to any of them. Nothing else is leaking as of yet. It is running great right now and it seems like the perfect time to get rid of it.
It's pretty sad that they built such a piece of crap. I have an old Ford F250 4x4 truck that has over 180,000 miles (most of them pulling a trailer wieghing in excess of 15,000lbs) and has only ever needed an O2 sensor on the engine. Other than normal maintnence like plugs, wires, oil and coolant, everything else is original. And if it needed a timing chain I could pull it out in a couple hours and change it with just a couple wrenchs. I think it even gets better fuel mileage than this freelander. My 04 F250 4x4 diesel gets 3 MPG better than this freelander and it weighs 7,700 lbs. It is really very shameful of landrover when you think about it.

Oh and This freelander has green coolant in it, so I am guessing it has already crapped a headgasket or the entire engine at one time or another and someone has just put green coolant back in when they fixed it.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi, I am considering purchasing a 1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II, Black, Tan leather interior, fully loaded including air suspension, heated seats, heated front windshield. Brand new brakes(rotors and pads) O2 sensors, headlights. Mint condition, meticulously maintained, never smoked in. Seats seven. 153000km. Cost: $8,500.00

- I am about to make my first vehicle purchase ever. I love the shape and seemingly versatile design of the vehicle. I am pretty much sold on it without even seeing it in person. picture the road trips, carrying a canoe.. installing a kick ass stereo and getting the windows tinted.. man I am loving the idea of having one of these.

I am wondering if this is something you might recommend and what sort of things I might look for when/if I test drive it. I live in smaller town, and there aren't any rover mechanics around here, I was told by a car salesman today that if I were to buy it and if it ever needed repairs I would need to take it to the city... which is about a 4 hr drive from here - which would be a giant pain in the ass if it were something so major I couldn't drive it and it had to be shipped. Another car salesman said that the rover is costly to repair in comparison to domestic models, and even then.. getting parts in can be a big hassle. Part of me wonders if the guy is just trying to make a sale.. or.. if this is in fact correct. I live in Canada. Is this vehicle something that really requires so much special attention to repair? In addition. I would almost consider buying a new engine for it if need be - I am really quite willing to sink a few bucks into it initially if needed. But, I don't want to have to continue doing this through it's lifetime. I don't want to buy a money pit/lemon. I have heard varying reviews of the rover good and bad. I am not a mechanical person, I look at the engine of a vehicle and really have no idea about them.

I would of course get an inspection done locally here... before buy... but again.. if the Rover is so specialized that I can't find a local mechanic to do it.. then perhaps .. it's not worth the risk?

If perhaps this model isn;t a good one.. is there a particular older model that is a worth while investment. My budget is low and this one that I am looking at fits my budget quite well.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated/

thanks
roveridontknow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Freelander / LR2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.