Fuel Cap lock replacement - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Fuel Cap lock replacement

i bought a new gas cap without lock and cannot get the lock out of the old cap. Does anyone know how to remove it?
crackmanus1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 04:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Former LR tech, Albany NY

hold the cap and it should come out its not in really well. take a look at take it apart.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Freelander Gas Cap Lock Removal/Replacement

Not sure if you figured it out, but for the benefit of others I thought I should post my findings. I have a 2004 Freelander HSE and just did the fuel cap switch-out.

There are pretty much 5 main parts to the gas cap:
(1) the top of the cap
(2) the bottom of the cap which spins and secures the plug in place
(3) a big spring inside the bottom of the cap
(4) a little black locking tab at the bottom the cap bottom (more on this later)
(5) the lock cylinder/key mechanism

To get the key cylinder out (obviously the cap is off the car and the key is still in the lock), you press the bottom on the cap (#2) in against the cap top (#1). You'll see a little notch in #2 that allows a small tab from #1 to fit in, locking the two together. This lets you turn the key a bit more (counter-clockwise) and releases a small internal locking tab (#4), which allows you to pull the cylinder out. Keep in mind that #4 actually holds #1 and #2 together, so be prepared so you don't lose the spring (#3) in case you want to keep the old cap.

When you pull the cylinder (#5) out, you'll see #4 still attached to the end of it. Simply pry it off with a small screwdriver and then push #5 into the new gas cap (take a look inside the new cap to make sure you're lining up #5 to clip into the new #4, which is already inside the new cap).

That should take care of it!
DrWarmth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Freelander / LR2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.