Lift - Springs or Spacers - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2006, 04:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Lift - Springs or Spacers

In my earlier post on my views on the Freelander, HMBFreelander (Brian) indicated that he had fitted 1.5" lift springs. Another alternative is to fit a 2" spacer kit to each of the spring towers.

As I see it the main disadvantage with the springs is the need to also fit new shock absorbers so works out a bit expensive. Likewise the main disadvantage of the spacers is it is an area for brakage and where I live the mods may be frowned upon by the authorities. They cost about $350US for the kit.

I would be interested in hearing peoples experiences and comments on these mods. Like Brian, I am also fitting 16" wheels but mainly because there is a wider tyre range in 16" tyres vs 15". I don't think I will go taller in the tyres that normal because of the reason Brian mentioned - the reduction in available torque at low revs will have too much effect on the car.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Garry
garrycol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2006, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

A couple additional observations on springs vs spacer lift.

The springs are harder to install since you must remove the strut assembly and then compress the springs and change them out. With the DAP (Bearmach in Europe) spacer lift you remove the strut assembly but don't have to disassemble it. Probably a difference of a couple hours for the whole job.

You don't replace the shocks when installing the Ironman springs, or at least I didn't. What results is a bit stiffer ride with the stock tires and a slightly underdamped suspension. But if you install tires with higher sidewalls you get back to approximately the stock ride. I'm refering to the NAS Freelander SE standard of 17x7" alloy wheels and 225/55-17 Michelin Synchrone as "stock".

The springs keep the OE strut travel/articluation. This is both good and bad. The good is you are still within the design range of the CV joints and are less likely (IMHO) to damage them and also less likely to run afoul of a warranty refusal should you have to replace the axle. The bad is that you will see the TC light come on more often as a wheel lifts due to the stiffer springs and the stock articulation range.

The 2" DAP/Bearmach spacers on the other hand allow more droop in the suspension so you will have better 4 wheel contact with the trail and better traction. But the spacers modify the articulation range by 2" and therefore (again IMHO) put more stress on the CV joints. The right side front axel is the shortest so that is where the trouble is most likely to appear. You also get a bit more sway since the vehicle is taller but with the stock spring rates. Many have run the DAP lift for tens of thousands of miles with no problems what so ever.

The spacer lift is more cost effective in the US because, as yet, there is no US importer of the Ironman springs and shipping, although better than it used to be, is still expensive.

2002 Freelander SE
HMBFreelander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2006, 08:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Otherwise known as STEVE

What HE said... I put about 30,000 miles on the DAP lift- don't know how many miles the new owner has put on, but haven't heard back about any problems.
Former Rovers
2004 Modded "S" Disco, R.I.P.
2004 G4 Disco
2002 Modded Freelander
1995 Modded Disco
1994 D-90 #8
1993 NAS D110
1990 Range Rover County
1973 SIII 88
1972 Range Rover 2 door
Muddy Oval is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2006, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the information. I think the spacers might be the way for me to go. My front right outer CV is already making heaps of noise so I might replace it and put in the lift kit as well - I will the full 2" rather than the 1.5" but I do recall that there are 2" springs also available in Aust. Some guys in the Freelander Club in the UK just use extended bolts and use nuts to create the spacer effect - probably works but doesn't seem as reliable as the fabricated spacers. As far as wear on CVs is concerned to concensus seems to be that a 2" lift is the max you can go without reducing life on CVs. Some have gone to 3" but have indicated that CV life is reduced.

Thanks for the input

Cheers

Garry
garrycol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Freelander / LR2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.