LR2 Key Fob Battery Replacement Instructions - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Underwater hockey is no dumber than any other sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LR2 Key Fob Battery Replacement Instructions

The battery in my primary LR2 key fob had been getting wonky so I replaced it, figured I'd share for any interested parties (It's not too difficult, but if you're a ham-fisted solderer you may want to practice on some old electronics or seek assistance from a more soldering proficient buddy):

The battery is a Panasonic LiON VL2330 (Panasonic - VL2330-1HF - Batteries - Battery - Allied Electronics). I got it for $8.10 + shipping (~$5).

Step One: Remove emergency key, CAREFULLY pry case apart.

Step Two: Carefully remove circuit board and battery. See first photo- the battery has two prongs, one fat (orange oval in pic), one skinny (orange arrow). You will have to de-solder these prongs. The battery sits in a little plastic cradle- you can pop the cradle off its' mount so as you de-solder, the cradle will pull the prong out of its' hole. Be very careful of other electronic components in the vicinity!

Step Three: carefully de-solder the holes so the new battery can be installed.

Step Four: Solder in the new battery. The cradle will hold the prongs on the circuit board making soldering fairly easy.

Step Five: Test the fob.

Step Six: reinstall circuit board, carefully press fob back together. I had to gently squeeze mine in a vice to get it to slide in and out of the key dock normally. I've heard some folks have used adhesive to keep their key together. I don't know whether it was due to part of the case breaking while splitting or a different key design.

Use and enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02458.JPG
Views:	12073
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	31593   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02461.JPG
Views:	11312
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	31594   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02464.JPG
Views:	8697
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	31595   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02468.JPG
Views:	8529
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	31596   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02466.JPG
Views:	12482
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	31597  

"Guinnevere" '91 RR - SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 LR2 SE
2010 MINI Cooper S Convertible
1995 Porsche 911
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:44 PM

Great post! Thanks! I followed your instructions and now once again have two working fobs.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 11:46 PM

Since I have never soldered a thing in my life, nor do I have the guts to, any idea who might give this a try for me? Would an indie attempt it, or maybe a PC, repair shop? Sounds like the toughest thing for an expert may be open ing the FOB.

ROverdude, you don't happen to be anywhere in the Orange County area??

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverdude View Post
The battery in my primary LR2 key fob had been getting wonky so I replaced it, figured I'd share for any interested parties (It's not too difficult, but if you're a ham-fisted solderer you may want to practice on some old electronics or seek assistance from a more soldering proficient buddy):

The battery is a Panasonic LiON VL2330 (Panasonic - VL2330-1HF - Batteries - Battery - Allied Electronics). I got it for $8.10 + shipping (~$5).

Step Two: Carefully remove circuit board and battery. See first photo- the battery has two prongs, one fat (orange oval in pic), one skinny (orange arrow). You will have to de-solder these prongs. The battery sits in a little plastic cradle- you can pop the cradle off its' mount so as you de-solder, the cradle will pull the prong out of its' hole. Be very careful of other electronic components in the vicinity!

Step Four: Solder in the new battery. The cradle will hold the prongs on the circuit board making soldering fairly easy.

Step Six: reinstall circuit board, carefully press fob back together. I had to gently squeeze mine in a vice to get it to slide in and out of the key dock normally. I've heard some folks have used adhesive to keep their key together. I don't know whether it was due to part of the case breaking while splitting or a different key design.

Use and enjoy!

Indeed, wonderful post, thank you for all this valuable informations and this photographic tutorial, which I will be of great use.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverdude View Post

Use and enjoy!
This worked very well. For step 1, I used two flat head screw drivers. Worked them around the edges till they popped the case. It took some work and patience. I did some damage to the plastic, which was filed down, looks good.

All the other steps worked like a charm. I used adhesive to mine back together.

Thanks for the instructions. They were great.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 08:41 AM

I have come across alot of misinformation about the LR2 key FOB. There is indeed a battery in there, and the Fob comes apart quite easily. I placed a screw driver in the the hole slot that houses the emergency key and pryed the 2 pieces apart and wedged another flat head in the gap I created and worked it around the perimeter of the FOB until it unhinged. 1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa329/Bdiem/IMG_0876_zps2e0b20dc.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 03:04 PM

Instructions were great. Like you said the key fob is a pain to get apart. All done and with success. Wouldn't say mine looks pretty, but good enough for a spare!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 01:40 AM
LR2

Thumbs up THANK YOU Roverdude!

You just saved me nearly $700 that I thought I would be stuck paying for two FOBs. Phewwwww!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 12:42 AM
LR2

Okay, seriously, thank you roverdude for this original post. I purchased two batteries from the allied link you provided. Along with your post, I used the following:

Originally I sought out a electronics repair guy, but he quoted me $60 per FOB and inspired zero confidence that he would do the work correctly. I understand that he can't give me a guarantee, but his attitude about his "time" being worth $60 per FOB rubbed me the wrong way; at least give me a $30 now -- $70 more when it works. I'd have willingly paid him $100 per FOB.

Anyway, instead I went to an electronics shop and asked the gentlemen there what I would need to do the repair. I have never soldered before so I was really clueless about what I would need. Thankfully they hooked me up with all that I would need--and for cheap! I paid $30 for an soldering iron, helping hand with magnifying glass, solder with rosin (I think), and some copper wick.

For others considering doing it yourself, GO FOR IT. Just be patient. The effin FOB is hard to get open. After cracking open the FOB, I got right to work on de-soldering. The large hole was very easy to do. The little hole ... not so much. That took a long time, nose-pliers, and a small burn to get done. Still, in just about 45 minutes, I was done and my FOB works! I can't believe I was operating without one ...

Anyway, thank you for this post. Now, I just hope that someone answers my post requesting suggestions/recommendations for spare change (quarters, etc.).
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 01:16 AM

I followed your instruction carefuly and got my key fob soldered.

After the big procedure (took about 1 hour) the key still wouldnt work,

I tested the battery and the soldered spots with a Volt-meter, there is enough voltage, so the key should be working fine actually, but doesnt.

I opened the doors with my working key, but used the fixed key to start the car, did this for about a week, but still the key wouldnt work.

Do you have any instructions on how to reprogram the key? Maybe there is any interference with the transponder after the batterychange.
Mine is a LR2 SE td4 built 2007.

Thank you for any comments.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 11:08 PM
dondon_des

2011 Land Rover LR2 Locked Out after vechicle was idle for 30+ days

My 2011 LR2 may remain idle for more than 30 days. I received a call from my sister who tried to unlock the vehicles. The FOB could not open the vehicle. She tried both FOB's and neither worked. I spoke with a LR Roadside agent who told me if the vehicle is not used for extended periods of time, the FOB will stop working. He said I need to manually open the door, place the FOB to the side of the steering wheel to deactive the alarm and try starting up the vehicle. If the problem was not related to the battery, the vehicle will start and the FOB will lock and unlock the vehicle.

With this in mind I will take his advice and give it a try once I return home for the 4th July holiday.

Any comments?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 03:41 AM

Hello,

Did you get an answer to your question?
I have the same problem with my key fob.
After replacing the battery, it doesn't work anymore...
I think I have to reset (program) it?
My email address: giovanni.jeckyll@outlook.fr
Many thanks
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 12:08 AM

Try inserting key fob in the car and leave it for half an hour for recharging. It may work. The battery is a rechargeable one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Freelander / LR2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.