LR2 Rear Differential Failure - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 175 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LR2 Rear Differential Failure

Own a 2008 LR2 with 57k miles (out of warranty) and have just been told we need to replace the rear differential to the tune of $5300. Never had a similar problem in all of the cars we owned and this one is only 2 1/2 years old. Love the LR2 but we are thinking of turning this one in given this type of reliability. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 175 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 10:57 AM

I also have a 2008 LR2. Just got it back from the shop last week. Had to replace the rear differential. Luckily, it was still under warranty. They mentioned replacing with a "re-designed" part - seems to be code for the original is having known problems.
post #3 of 175 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 12:06 PM

I own a 2009 LR2 w/ 12000 miles and it just had the rear differential replaced.

post #4 of 175 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
You might try contacting Land Rover North America. This is a problem that is showing up more now that people are racking up miles. I had an 08 LR2 and sarted hearing what sounded like bearings going out. I had 48, k on the odometer. Land Rover replaced the rear end which cured the probelm but caused another noise whenever I was excellerating from a stop with the front wheels turned. It was definitely coming from the rear. I believe LR replaced the rear end again, the coupling device, a mount ext. to no avail. The only thing they didn't change were the axle shafts which to me made sense because it was torque and turning causing the new noise. After a couple of months in service I decided my ride had been Frankensteined enough and didn't want it back so I traded in for an 09 last August. So far 23k and no issues.
post #5 of 175 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 05:22 AM

YIKES! This doesn't sound good. Have you guys been proactive and asking the dealer to look for this rear differential failure or have they found it on their own?
post #6 of 175 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 06:58 AM

Garage
I heard the noise and took mine in. Land Rover Houston said there was nothing I could have done to cause the problem. As noted in another post, they want to replace the differential with an 09 so one can assumne that Land Rover is aware of the problem. When they replaced mine with what was suppose to be an 09 it fixed the noise I brought it in for but then created another noise. I don't think LR service looks for the problem. It has to be a design flaw and I recommend pushing LR North America for a resolution. They will work directly with the dealer you are using for service. At least they did in my case.
post #7 of 175 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 10:17 AM

We just had our diagnosed with Diff failure at 67k. Called LR NA and they said too bad, but Merry Christmas. A Rover repair shop in Carrollton quoted $3200 ish, and I am waiting to hear back from Rover Frisco.

Does anyone think this will turn into a recall? I will get reimbursed if I take it to the dealer, but not if I take it to an independent repair shop. I would prefer to save money and take it to the repair shop and avoid the dealer.

You know a month ago I was praising the reliability of this car. I should have know, I did buy a British car.
post #8 of 175 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Super Trooper

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lidojuagon View Post
...Does anyone think this will turn into a recall?...
Definitely not. The LR3 is having the same problem. Good luck dealing with LRNA. They have a bad habit of saying so sad, too bad. If its out of warranty you're out of luck. Sorry for the bad news.

Colin
post #9 of 175 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 08:45 AM

Garage
I had the problem with my 08 LR2, noted above(47k). Traded and purchased a 09 LR2. Had to replace the rear end at 32k. All is ok now. There is definitely a flaw. Apparently there is a bearing that breaks. Because the rear diff is a sealed unit they can't replace the bearing, the rear diff has to be replaced. Poor design. There seems to be way to many differential failures, warrantied or not. How many does it take to warrant a recall? I'm sure it is cheaper for Land Rover to repair the vehicles brought in for the problem than to tell everyone who owns one.
post #10 of 175 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 01:03 PM

2010 LR2 with rear end failure

I have a 2010 LR2 that was just brought in and diagnosed with a rear end failure. There are 15000 miles on it and it had been in for it's service 2 weeks ago. The shop says that they see this a bit, but not a big problem. How dependable are the replacement rear ends?
post #11 of 175 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 07:08 AM

Garage
That's a great question! Is LR replacing the defective unit with a new, refurbished or modified rear end? Are they replacing the broken bearing and re-installing it as refurbished? Surely LR3's don't have the same rear end as the LR2. I didn't keep the 08 LR2 that had the rear end replaced. So far my 09 LR2 has approximately 7,000 miles on the replaced rear end. No problems so far... current mileage is approximately 38,500 on this vehicle.
post #12 of 175 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 06:09 AM

Just got the diff replace and not 24 hours later did we notice oil all over the garage floor. I hope they pay for it to be flat bedded to the dealer b/c it has lost most of the oil in the new diff.

But it's British so I guess it's supposed to leak oil.

Why do the Brits not make TV's?

Because they couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil.
post #13 of 175 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 07:04 AM

Just got the word from my dealer that my 50,421 mile LR2 needs a new rear differential. She said the part will take ~ 4 weeks to get from England on a slow boat. LR of NA said I was SOL & should have traded it in on a new one before 50,000 miles if I didn't want to spend the thousands of dollars to fix it. Now I out of transportation for the next 4 weeks because they can't keep the part in stock due to the high demand.

Should we be talking to NHTSA? Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
post #14 of 175 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 07:41 AM

Garage
Houston Land Rover had me in and out in 4 days. They should be able to get the part sooner than they quoted you. Perhaps Land Rover North America could expedite the shipment. I have been fortunate enough to have the 08 and the 09 diff's go out before the warranty was up. Will the dealer at least put you in a loaner? Try the top dog on your dealer's web site, explain the situation in an email and from a P.R. standpoint perhaps he will loan one of their loaners.
post #15 of 175 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 09:51 PM

The Haldex systems are very advanced but unlike the more traditonal rear end are not as strong or reliable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Freelander / LR2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.