"Steering Column Locked" - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"Steering Column Locked"

I inherited my father's 2008 LR2 a few month ago after he passed away from pancreatic cancer.

Anyway, it's giving me fits starting. Couple weeks ago (ironically the last day it was covered on the factory warranty) it decided to die while I was running errands. It gave me an error that read "steering column locked" and refused to start. Tried taking the key out, giving it time, turning the wheel different directions, still no dice. All the electronics would turn on but it refused to crank the engine. Had it towed to the dealership. After much head scratching and confusion in the service department, they called the corporate LR tech folks. They decided to replace the steering wheel lock sensor. Voila! Problem solved... sort of.

I hadn't even had it back a day and decided to do it again. Only this time, if I gave it about 30 seconds and tried again, the error would clear and the car would start. Called the dealership back up and they got me into their earliest available appointment. Over the few days before the appointment, it pulled this error on me at least a half a dozen more times.

Now that it is back at the dealership, they called me and said that they did get the problem duplicated but they are going to have to "consult with the engineering team who designed and built the car" to try to find a solution.

Thankfully it is still under warranty but does anyone have any ideas that I could pitch to the service guys since it seems like they are coming up short? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

After the dealership talked to the LR engineers, the solution that has been decided upon is to replace the PCM. Hopefully it works but that always seems to be the "we really don't have a clue and hope this works" solution.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Replacement of the PCM di not solve the problem! The dealership called me to tell me that it was done on Friday. On my way down, they called me back and said that it faulted again when they went to take it out of the wash bay.

The saga continues...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARCruiser View Post
Replacement of the PCM di not solve the problem! The dealership called me to tell me that it was done on Friday. On my way down, they called me back and said that it faulted again when they went to take it out of the wash bay.

The saga continues...
Did you get this sorted as I have a similar problem and was wondering the likely cost - no warranty
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 05:29 AM

Unhappy same same

exactly same problem today. driving normal conditions for 20 minutes, stopped at car park with wheels turned at angle, turned off engine went shopping.
Came back. no start. "Steering wheel locked". So I had read other forums about easing pressure on the column so I straightened wheels and ensured no undue pressure was being applied by wheel angle. still no go. waited 10 minutes no go. disconnected power waited 10 mins.no go. even tried "lock / unlock 4 times to reset the security" as advised by roadside assist phone operator (as if) .

So I'm keen to see how others solved this. I cant find a manual for a 2007 SE6 anywhere.

I suspect it is a faulty sensor as the steering actually turns if forced. Not a single salesman knew of the problem or a solution, but they know how to sell a car and take a commission, right ?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 10:13 PM

update

had to wait 2 days for car to start again. no real solution, just wait for the sensor to reset. NO help from local Landrover dealer except 'pay money'. No help from Landrover Admin to contact engineering people. FAIL landrover. They may expect this issue to go away. WRONG. Expect worldwide public embarrassment for your failure to even attempt to help a product user. Fundamental error of customer service...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 08:16 PM

Same issue, steering locked

Hi everyone, great site and some very usefull information. My inlaws have a 2009/2010 HSE model and have just started having the same issues. They are waiting to ge it looked at but we were hoping to hear how you guys went. Have you had it sorted? If so what was the issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 12:18 PM

steering column locked

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? Mine is doing the same thing.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 08:35 AM

Steering column locked

Nobody knows how to fix this???

Last edited by eat my dust; 10-25-2013 at 04:19 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 11:54 AM

Thought I'd bring this topic back up and see if anyone can shed any light on it. I have been having the same problems with my '08 LR2 for years and still cannot get it resolved. Anyone find a fix yet?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 02:36 PM

It's amazing that people do not follow through with a result of some sort. Often when this happens it is because the steering wheel jams against the inner stop, try forcing it in the movable way at the same time turning the key.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 09:03 AM

Hello,i am having the exact same problem,all i keep doing is disconecting the battery while the key is still in,..put the cables back on,and it works,but its not fixed,everytime i switch it off the same thing happends and i have to keep doing the same thing....😡😡😡😡
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 02:45 PM

I had several issues with my 03 range Rover l322 steering column. Frankly it is an over mechanized POS in my opinion. To start the tilt motor sounded like it worked. I even removed it and tested it. It seemed to spin but when it had the wheel pressure on it it would not spin. So I replaced the motor and that fixed the problem. The 4 prongs casted into the housing to hold the tile spindel nut was damaged. 2 of the 4 prongs where broken. Only way to fix this is to install a new steering column which I purchased a used one and installed. The 3rd issue was that the reach spindel nut is manufactured out of pvc instead of brass which is used for the tilt spindel nut. Anybody with a common sense of mechanical engineering should know that you can not expect a steal acme thread to rotate through pvc without stripping out the threads. As a result you have 2 choices to fix this. Buy a used starting column to get a new pvc reach nut with no guarantee and pray that the new one isn't stripped out. But it could still strip out in the future, or buy our custom American made machines reach spindel nut. I have access to a machine shop and decided to manufacture an aftermarket reach spindle nut machined out of aluminum nickel bronze. Here is a link to my part to purchase.

Range Rover L322 Steering Column Reach Spindle Nut Aluminum Nickel Bronze | eBay

Some people are asking what it takes to switch out the entire column. I did it from start to finish in 8 hours. Definitely not a fun project. Be very delicate with all the interior pieces and do not hammer on the end of the column in attempt to get it to insert into the spline at the fire wall. Also I did not need to remove the entire dash. Instead I removed the air vents and side trim, driver side dash bolts and just popped out our and pulled back for minimum clearance needed.

For those trying to figure out thread sizes. The reach and tilt spindel is a m10x1.5 trapezoidal metric screw thread. The female steering wheel bolt thread is a m14x1.5 trapezoidal metric as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Freelander / LR2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.