Ticking noise in Upper intake manifold 02 freelander 55k - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Ticking noise in Upper intake manifold 02 freelander 55k

Ok so i replaced both heads with reman's. Still got some ticking noise...I thought it was the lifters...Replaced those... Still ticking.... Now i hear the ticking from inside the upper intake manifold. I took it apart and i see a long stem with gears? And it has this number written on it

But i was told by land rover the upper intake manifold is not serviceable and you have to buy the entire thing. $1200 for the damn thing.

Is it possible to find the part somewhere or anyone know the name of this part.
umoms is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
umoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 07:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

You can buy the new motors for the intake assembly. I tried three sets of motors and none of them fixed anything. I just put the new intake assembly on a couple of days ago. Its improved the transmission performance but I believe the engine runs too loud, and am trying to figure out what could be causing it.
ladybruja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by umoms View Post
Ok so i replaced both heads with reman's. Still got some ticking noise...I thought it was the lifters...Replaced those... Still ticking.... Now i hear the ticking from inside the upper intake manifold. I took it apart and i see a long stem with gears? And it has this number written on it

But i was told by land rover the upper intake manifold is not serviceable and you have to buy the entire thing. $1200 for the damn thing.

Is it possible to find the part somewhere or anyone know the name of this part.
umoms is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

hello umoms i have the same problem but when i removed the shaft one of the little balls was broken and i am attempting to glue it with some very strong glue and metal supports at the end it should be stronger than the original. i saw that the resin for all the knocking was because it needed greasing so it was running very rough i added grease to the little bearings and my car kept having an oxygen error due to the valves not opening properly. please let me know if you find your part so i can get one too i will let you know if my fix works thanks
polinato23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hope this helps a bit.....

I just sold my 04 Freelander with 63K miles on it. Loved it, ran like a top, but we had some concerns about its future! Bought a LR2 in place of it. That said, even though I no longer own one.....

-At 52K miles I had the very same issue. The VIS motors inside the intake manifold can sometimes be replaced (per the factory trained LR independent shop I used), but not often. Yes, the manifold costs about $1200. I was lucky....I found a guy on ebay who had one on his shelf, genuine, new in box and had it shipped to me for $775!! You might try checking ebay, else the dealer or other vendors (Atl British, etc...) are your only choices and, at the time, price seemed about the same between all. Oh, I just received a coupon in the mail from Atlantic British for 10% off orders through 1/31.....that would help a lot on $1200! You might check around online for the same coupon.

-Ticking noise.....I bought mine new off the lot in 2004. A few months later I took it back in due to what I thought was a problem with the engine ticking noise. I just shredded the old paperwork, but the dealer typed report stated "that is the way these engines are!" Anyway, mine tended to be loud when very cold out, but quieted when the engine warmed up.

Hope this helps a bit.

Julian
71 RHD Hillman Super Imp
65 MGB
73 MGB-GT
knac1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Freelander / LR2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.