Whining Noise from Rear of the Car - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CT090

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whining Noise from Rear of the Car

Hi all!

I have just purchased a 2010 HSE LR2 for my wife and today I have noticed that what I thought was a slight bit of noise from the back is quite a large amount of noise. When I did the test drive it was flash floods so the noise was drowned out by rain and road noise. Today though it is very clear.

Here is a link to a recording I made:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6t...ew?usp=sharing

It is faint on the recording at 09s you can hear it kick in. It is only when accelerating and goes away when the car is pulling on it's own.

To sum up the sound, if you had off road tires on your car and got that kind of whir / spinning whine sound they make. It is like that when accelerating and only from the back of the car.

I would really appreciate any advice before I start the process of going back to the garage to get it sorted. I feel they will just turn around and say "it's your problem now".

I will try and make a better recording off it. Hard to do in a quiet street here without breaking the speed limit by keeping accelerating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Been looking around and found quite a large post on rear diff issues and thought this post:

LR2 Rear Differential Failure

It mentions a similar noise so could be just as I feared. I have sent a message to a few garages to see if they can do some diagnostic work for me.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 05:22 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Most likely failed bearings on the diff. Metal shavings in the lube will tell the tale

1972 MGB
Coming Soon 2006 LR3
Trident Green, 1983 110

Need new parts, genuine Land Rover, aftermarket and off road upgrades, Support the Vendor that supports the Land Rover Community and Forum
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153

Have a DII you need a drive shaft click here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want a
best read this first

Need used parts?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply. I just wanted to reply in case anyone else ends up here. It turned out that the rear diff was shot. The dealership was amazing and replaced it free if charge. Top stuff by them for taking on such an expensive repair to honor the sale.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 08:50 PM
Wounded Knee Moderator

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Cool, glad to hear you confirm it was the diff and that it was more importantly taken care of for free - best part.

97 SD - Altai Silver. Sold
94 Saturn SC2

Roverless and wandering

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF.

The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

Ultragauge

Contact info for Paul Grant;

203-770-1699

Contact info for Will Tillery;

540-462-7353
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
A unicorn! Someone reported back. My faith in humanity is restored.

At least until Ian shows up here in a bit.
discomania04 likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Change the gear oil on your front diff ASAP.
Dave

The City is a Jungle.

2005 LR3/ SE 4.4 Fancy Professor (my girl's LR3)
2005 LR3/Disco3 SE 4.4 The Rhino
(mine)
De-tangoed Headlights, LR4 Style Grille, Dueler Alenza HL 255 55 19"

1999 LR Disco II SD 200,900 miles (Sold)
1991 Range Rover Classic (Sold) 'The Turtle'
1988 Range Rover Classic (Sold) 'The Rust Bucket'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Freelander / LR2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.