Reliability of folding seats in 2017 Discovery - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reliability of folding seats in 2017 Discovery

Hi all,
First timer to this forum. I am prefer the 7 seater yet afraid this complicated system of electronic folding seats is apt for failure. Therefore, I might just settle with the 5 seater and save a little $. Our local dealer has had a showroom 2017 Discovery this week and even this has been glitchy. Any words of advice?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
You could replace "seats" in your question and replace it with just about any of these new convenience features. Being a new truck, no one is really going to be able to tell you how well they'll hold up. If you're not planning on keeping it past the warranty, it doesn't really matter. And this isn't a vehicle you want to own out of warranty.

The more things that can break, the more things that will break. Seats, dash displays, you name it. I travel a fair bit and I would say that one in five rentals has some sort of technology rated failure while I have it. I just had a $70K Tahoe that lost the electrics on the dash. It was a Sunday evening and I had a seven hour drive in the dark with zero dash function. And no heat.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT090 View Post
You could replace "seats" in your question and replace it with just about any of these new convenience features. Being a new truck, no one is really going to be able to tell you how well they'll hold up. If you're not planning on keeping it past the warranty, it doesn't really matter. And this isn't a vehicle you want to own out of warranty.

The more things that can break, the more things that will break. Seats, dash displays, you name it. I travel a fair bit and I would say that one in five rentals has some sort of technology rated failure while I have it. I just had a $70K Tahoe that lost the electrics on the dash. It was a Sunday evening and I had a seven hour drive in the dark with zero dash function. And no heat.
I agree. You run those risks with any new car. I'm taking a serious look at this Discovery to purchase once it begins selling in the U.S. Frankly, I'm weary of the electronically folding seats. built and priced the one I'd buy without that feature. You can option a seven seat version with manual seats. With whatever vehicle I purchase, I'll own it way past the warranty, so I'm in no use to pull the trigger without seeing more reviews. I'm not worried about the chassis (the aluminum substructure is shared with the RR and RR Sport), or the carry-over engines. It's the electronics that give me pause.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 03:50 AM

It's not like LR makes the electric folding seats, these probably are supplied by one of the few major seat suppliers to the industry like Johnson Controls (owns Recaro), Lear, or Faurecia. 2nd and 3rd row electric folding seats have been around for 10 years, if not more. I have 3rd row electric folding seats in my 2010 Mercedes GL and never had any issues. Many manufacturers have them now as standard for both 2nd and 3rd rows in their luxury SUVs. So I don't see why there should be any issues with the seats in the Disco. The only thing that's new here is the remote interface to the car control system so that you can fold them from an app. This is a feature that looks cool in ads but I wonder how often it will be used and if it fails to work, there are always the in-car switches to fold the seats. I don't see that much of a risk here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Land Rover Discovery 5 forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.