2 or 3 inch thats the ?? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 304 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2 or 3 inch thats the ??

Hello.. I just re-inherited a 2000 Discovery II that I bought for my GF a few years back... She wanted something new!! Well I decided to transform it into my new rolling tackle box and have started doing all the research for the start of this new project... Everything has been pretty straight forward except one part... I am trying to decide 2 or 3 inch.. lift. I won’t be doing any serious wheeling, but I do find myself in need of a good trail rig from time to time in search of fish!! Well my ?? Is this... I would rather have the 3 inch but have read that the 2 inch lift is the magic number that once you pass you open up a can of pain in the butt... What exactly would I have to change to do the 3 inch? Lift... I like the look and performance of a higher lifted vehicle but don’t want a bunch of hassle... I want to lift it and forget it...if the 3 inch lift is not to bad I would rather go with that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 304 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 12:02 PM

a 3" lift is about $1500 or so if you go rovertym. i'd do it. the performance over a 2" in very noticeable. most people swap to 3" down the line anyways.

you just need the shocks, springs, retainers, brakeline and abs extensions and lower front shock mounts. you can either remove the front crossmember, or get the spacers. not really that bad.

i would go 3". i bought the 2" and am slowly migrating to the 3".
post #3 of 304 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I would stay with a good 2", be it OME which is what I run or RTE, the other good choice.
If you go to Lucky8 they have a few packages from OME, medium or HD. If you play a little hard, go with their HD set up and a new OME steering stabilizer. That along with a good set of tires and maybe reactivating your CDL t/case, will make a good all around vehicle on and off the road.

Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need Parts?

or call 203-770-1699

or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8,

British Parts of Utah,

post #4 of 304 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaels View Post
a 3" lift is about $1500 or so if you go rovertym. i'd do it. the performance over a 2" in very noticeable. most people swap to 3" down the line anyways.

you just need the shocks, springs, retainers, brakeline and abs extensions and lower front shock mounts. you can either remove the front crossmember, or get the spacers. not really that bad.

i would go 3". i bought the 2" and am slowly migrating to the 3".
That kit from rovertym.. is it complete? Thats my main concern.. I want to buy one kit lift it once and not think about it any more.. Its hard to put a handle on exactly what is needed.. Some folks talk about drive line mods that are needed.. i saw one sight that had rear sway bar extensions.. another that had an adjustable.. front sway arm or somthing like that.. Can i buy one 3 inch lift.. with all the parts to correct the problems it might cause..?? . I want to spend most of my weekends on my kayak fishing not working on my car...

I just went on the rovertym site and the kit look pretty good.. It had all these parts that i dont see on a lot of other kits.. but at the bottom of the page it said..*Note: 3" and 5" kits do not include driveshafts .. will i need that too? is their anything else i might need if i get this kit...
post #5 of 304 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakangler View Post
That kit from rovertym.. is it complete? Thats my main concern.. I want to buy one kit lift it once and not think about it any more.. Its hard to put a handle on exactly what is needed.. Some folks talk about drive line mods that are needed.. i saw one sight that had rear sway bar extensions.. another that had an adjustable.. front sway arm or somthing like that.. Can i buy one 3 inch lift.. with all the parts to correct the problems it might cause..?? . I want to spend most of my weekends on my kayak fishing not working on my car...

I just went on the rovertym site and the kit look pretty good.. It had all these parts that i dont see on a lot of other kits.. but at the bottom of the page it said..*Note: 3" and 5" kits do not include driveshafts .. will i need that too? is their anything else i might need if i get this kit...
new drive shafts are not NEEDED for a DII. with that said, it is higly advisable that you get the front driveshaft rebuilt with greasable u joints. the factory units are sealed. then grease every 3K miles and you're good to go. some people say replace the rear rotoflex driveshaft with a ujoint shaft. personally, i like the rotoflex because it is easier than a ujoint to change out and i have a couple spare rotoflexes that only cost me $10 for the lot.

the DII handles 3" lifts very well without NEEDING new radius or trailing arms. the 3" kit is very bling with the shocks everything you get, but you'll never have to redo it ever again.(not to mention the bilstein shocks are completely rebuildable. in other words, they'll be the last shocks you ever buy for your disco.0
post #6 of 304 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
new drive shafts are not NEEDED for a DII. with that said, it is higly advisable that you get the front driveshaft rebuilt with greasable u joints. the factory units are sealed. then grease every 3K miles and you're good to go. some people say replace the rear rotoflex driveshaft with a ujoint shaft. personally, i like the rotoflex because it is easier than a ujoint to change out and i have a couple spare rotoflexes that only cost me $10 for the lot.

the DII handles 3" lifts very well without NEEDING new radius or trailing arms. the 3" kit is very bling with the shocks everything you get, but you'll never have to redo it ever again.(not to mention the bilstein shocks are completely rebuildable. in other words, they'll be the last shocks you ever buy for your disco.0
Why do you highly advise rebuilding the drive shaft.. does the lift cause a lot of extra stress on these places.. how hard is that to do and what is the cost?

Whats a rotoflex drive shaft.. why do some folks say change to a ujoint shaft.. What issues does the lift cause that this would fix? It must not be somthing real bad since you choose not to.. Why do you have so many.. do they break easily after the lift.. or do they commonly break when you do serious off roading..

man i sound like a two year old.. why why why

all the info has been really helpful..
post #7 of 304 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 04:51 PM
got mud?

Quote:
Why do you highly advise rebuilding the drive shaft.. does the lift cause a lot of extra stress on these places.. how hard is that to do and what is the cost?

Whats a rotoflex drive shaft.. why do some folks say change to a ujoint shaft.. What issues does the lift cause that this would fix? It must not be somthing real bad since you choose not to.. Why do you have so many.. do they break easily after the lift.. or do they commonly break when you do serious off roading..

man i sound like a two year old.. why why why

all the info has been really helpful..
michaels and serious off roading?

Honestly. If you don't plan on doing that much offroading. Then either an OME lift from Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...
or a 2" lift from Rovertym will be plenty.

Some people just like sounding cool talking big lifts and such. The smaller the lift the less problems you will have.

Also what size tires do you plan on running? If you plan on running anything less than 33" than there is no need for the 3". To keep the stock axles/drivetrain happy just stick with some 32s.

Have fun fishing.

Pete
2003 DII CDL equipped
33" Destination M/Ts
post #8 of 304 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Rover View Post
and you would know how? you have never "wheeled" on anything more than flat ground. i don't do "serious" off roading or rockcrawling, but i do what i feel comfortable with. i have a better spare parts collection now, so i'm not worried about breaking axles anymore.

Quote:
Honestly. If you don't plan on doing that much offroading. Then either an OME lift from Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...

Some people just like sounding cool talking big lifts and such. The smaller the lift the less problems you will have.

Also what size tires do you plan on running? If you plan on running anything less than 33" than there is no need for the 3". To keep the stock axles/drivetrain happy just stick with some 32s.

Have fun fishing.

that's probably the first half-way intelligent thing i've ever seen you say. and 33s fit on a the rovertym 2" lift fine.
post #9 of 304 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Have fun fishing.

I plan on running the largest tire my lift will allow me to...

Lets just assume i want a three inch lift.. What parts do I NEED to have in your opinion to have a trouble free problem free lift..

Coils
New Shocks
??? what elses( longer brake line, extended rear sway bar links,adjustable Panhard Rod)

What size lift do you have and what parts did you install to get that lift?

Last edited by kayakangler; 07-12-2009 at 06:28 AM.
post #10 of 304 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 05:38 AM
Ian Matthews

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Quote:
I just re-inherited a 2000 Discovery II that I bought for my GF a few years back.

I won’t be doing any serious wheeling

I like the look

and performance of a higher lifted vehicle
I think these points say it all.

That is, has only just got it and does not really know what it will do standard, so has no real requirement for mods.

Does not plan to do any serious off-roading, so really doesn't need any mods.

Wants to do it only because he reckons it looks good.

Not sure how a spring lift improves the performance of a Disco.

I would listen to Michaels as he knows a lot about people with your requirements.
post #11 of 304 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by p76rangie View Post
I think these points say it all.

That is, has only just got it and does not really know what it will do standard, so has no real requirement for mods.

Does not plan to do any serious off-roading, so really doesn't need any mods.

Wants to do it only because he reckons it looks good.

Not sure how a spring lift improves the performance of a Disco.

I would listen to Michaels as he knows a lot about people with your requirements.
I have had the vehicle for 5 years now silly.. I bought it for my girlfriend she just didn’t want me lifting it or changing the wheels or touching it at all for that matter... So I am pretty familiar with the vehicle and what it’s capable of... I have personally lifted and owned a Nissan an s-10 blazer a jeep Cherokee and a Toyota four runner which was my previous fishing truck... So i am not new to off roading or lifting trucks..

So please spare the elites bs for someone else... I am just here trying to get information from people that have experience with these vehicles not to have you talk down to me so that you can feed your ego....

I want a three inch lift... If it turns out that its to big of a pain in the ass then I will settle for 2inch... Simply because I am not making this vehicle to be a trail rig... I am making it to carry my kayaks and all my fishing gear. If someone on here has a three inch lift I would appreciate knowing what issues it caused and what needed to be done to correct those issues... Then I could make a decision on what I want to do...

Thanks to everyone on here for the useful information that you have provided... I really appreciate it...with the exception of this guy I am really getting some good info..

post #12 of 304 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:

I want a three inch lift... If it turns out that its to big of a pain in the ass then I will settle for 2inch... Simply because I am not making this vehicle to be a trail rig... I am making it to carry my kayaks and all my fishing gear. If someone on here has a three inch lift I would appreciate knowing what issues it caused and what needed to be done to correct those issues... Then I could make a decision on what I want to do...

Thanks to everyone on here for the useful information that you have provided... I really appreciate it...with the exception of this guy I am really getting some good info..

like i said, rovertym has EVERYTHING you need. driveshafts won't be necessary. rovertym will sell everything required to make this work. my setup drives so much nicer than it did stock with the rovertym suspension.
post #13 of 304 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
like i said, rovertym has EVERYTHING you need. driveshafts won't be necessary. rovertym will sell everything required to make this work. my setup drives so much nicer than it did stock with the rovertym suspension.
Thanks for the info.. So that rovertym 3 inch lift is totally complete i wont have to buy anything else.. Awsome..

Do you run the 3 inch rovertym ?
post #14 of 304 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 08:52 AM
got mud?

Quote:
Thanks for the info.. So that rovertym 3 inch lift is totally complete i wont have to buy anything else.. Awsome..

Do you run the 3 inch rovertym ?
Yes the kit does come with everything. I can see you are used to jeeps, toyotas, and other trucks that usually advertise 3", 4.5", and 6" ect lifts.... This a rover, a totally different rig then the usual gang.

3" to carry kayaks and go fishing is definitely overdoing it. But hey, its just for the looks right? The RTE 3" is a great lift kit to get. Most who get that kit do a fair amount of wheeling.

So basically 1300 for the 3" or 600 for the 2".

Pete
2003 DII CDL equipped
33" Destination M/Ts
post #15 of 304 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Yes the kit does come with everything. I can see you are used to jeeps, toyotas, and other trucks that usually advertise 3", 4.5", and 6" ect lifts.... This a rover, a totally different rig then the usual gang.

3" to carry kayaks and go fishing is definitely overdoing it. But hey, its just for the looks right? The RTE 3" is a great lift kit to get. Most who get that kit do a fair amount of wheeling.

So basically 1300 for the 3" or 600 for the 2".
i would say it's not "just for looks" the performance is quite noticeable. longer travel shocks keep the wheels on the ground longer, so traversing terrain is easier. plus, the ride with shocks valved correctly is astounding. besides, you don't know what the trail is like to get there. i've seen plenty of great fishing spots at the end of tough trails, whether while out hiking, driving, or in pictures.. it just depends on where he wants to go fishing.

i do not have the 3" lift, but i have components from it. i have 2" lift in the front and 3" in the rear (gives it a slight raked look, which i like). i have remote resivoir fox shocks in the rear and extended brakelines. basically, i have half the 3" kit. i've just chosen to do it gradually over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > Off Road

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.