Anyone else have trouble getting paid by Car Cannibal? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Anyone else have trouble getting paid by Car Cannibal?

I initially contacted Car Cannibal on August 5, 2009 regarding selling my 1997 Range Rover to them. I received an offer back the next day, and I accepted the offer on August 8th. The truck was finally picked up and delivered to Car Cannibal on September 11th.

It's now over 4 weeks later and I have yet to receive payment for the vehicle. On top of that, no one will return my phone calls or emails regarding the matter. I haven't heard anything since September 20th (when Ryan said he would check on it), despite my calling several times and sending several emails. Whenever I call, I'm told that Ryan is the person who handles the buying and payments, and that they will let him know I called and he should contact me back. So far he has not, though.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Can anyone suggest anything I might could do to get the money for my vehicle? I'm trying to avoid having to bring my attorney in on this matter, but I'm not sure what else I can do.

I'm very worried and frustrated, and I needed the money way back in August.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by selki; 10-17-2009 at 04:21 PM.
selki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chicago where body armor is needed for a day in the park

Don't want to sound like a dick here but, I know I'm going to. Why would you let them take the Range Rover without paying for it first? You should never sell your vehicle to someone without payment, that is not that bright of a idea.

I would try contacting their local BBB and escalate the matter from there. With state attonery general etc.

if I recall correctly there are a few threads on here about them sending the wrong parts and not giving refunds or sending the right part, in the recent past as well.

Good luck

Need Parts?

www.lucky8llc.biz (716) 898-8153

PT Schram pt@ptschram.com

paulgrant@gmail.com

http://lucky8llc.com/L8Forum/index.php

1983 Land Rover 110 5 door wagon

1972 MGB
ArmyRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 05:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sweet leaping Jesus on a pogo stick! Did you at least get a reciept? How could you let someone cart a vehicle off without paying?
Roverhound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Car Cannibal Ryan Richardson Ripped me off Too

Car Cannibal Ryan Richardson ripped me off, too in September, 2009. He says he will wire the money. After searching on the internet(found this thread). It seems he always purchses vehicles from out of state sellers and never pays. The amounts owed are usually under $1000.00 and he knows that the effort and cost to get the money for the out of state seller will deter anyone from seeking legal means(small claims court) to get a judgement is probably not going to happen. If there is a judgement he seems to have the option of not paying the judgement.
jhorner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies.

I have already filed a complaint with the BBB, & I will be going to speak with my local police department this week to see if I can report the truck as stolen.

jhorner: Are you currently pursuing any actions to get your money? If so, what are you doing?
Old 10-15-2009, 06:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Please email me at jean.horner@sbcglobal.net
jhorner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Gallery: 2

Found this article:
NewsOK

Need to be a member to read the whole thing though
JoMar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
laments the death of industrial strength soup sporks \;/

Gallery: 5

holy shit you mean there is more than person that will let sombody haul off a vehicle without payment. idiots.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you all for your input & suggestions. Since others out there have also experienced this same problem, I thought I'd compile a list of the steps I'm taking so that they can reference it, do the same, & perhaps improve all our chances of getting our money from Car Cannibal.

If Car Cannibal has your vehicle, & you haven't been paid for it, here are some things you can do (this list is writen under the assumtion that you are from a state other than Oklahoma, where Car Cannibal is located):

-contact your local police depatment & Oklahoma City PD (you may not be able to report your vehicle as stolen, as most places will consider it a civil matter [i.e. breach of contract], but you can still file a report with the details, thus adding to your paper trail)

-file complaints with the following Attorney Generals' offices: U.S., Oklahoma, & your state

-file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

-file a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3), Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | File a Complaint

-report Car Cannibal to the Oklahoma Used Motor Vehicles & Parts Commission, Used Motor Vehicle and Parts Commission (apparently Car Cannibal isn't even licensed to sell used cars or parts in Oklahoma)

-contact the Department of Transpotation for your state (to see if you can prevent Car Cannibal for filing for a lost title based on the Bill of Sale)

-take Car Cannibal to civil court & sue for your money (see post by thedugger on the following forum for details: RangeRovers.net • View topic - Anyone else have trouble getting paid by Car Cannibal?)

Also, I've been in contact with Vallery Brown at "The Oklahoman" newspaper. She did a story back in February 2009 about this same thing happening to Chad Brown of Michigan (here is a link to the blog about it, the story isn't avaiable anymore without a subscription: Donít cannibalize my car | WatchDog). She told me this is a pattern for Ryan Richardson. Please contact her if you are in this situation -- the more we can get our stories out there, the less likely Ryan will be able to continue doing this to people. She is super nice & wants to be able to help. Her email is: VBrown@opubco.com.

Thanks, again, guys.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
mit

Quote from clear and present danger

[Jack needs a helicopter]
Jack Ryan: I'm here to rent the Huey.
Helicopter owner: We don't rent it anymore, but it is for sale.
Jack Ryan: How much?
Helicopter owner: Two million dollars.
Jack Ryan: Uh, my pilot and I will have to take it for a test drive.
Helicopter owner: Of course, you just have to leave a deposit.
Jack Ryan: How much is that?
Helicopter owner: Two million dollars.
Jack Ryan: Umm...

Quote:
It's not like I am going to do this without asking my mom first.
mit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 03:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

Here is a new story in "The Oklahoman" covering the problems people are having with Car Cannibal not paying them for their vehicles:
NewsOK.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

Your more patient than I on this, I like the "kick in the door with two big dudes and Baseball bats approach", I'm not much for negotiation..

News at Nine:
We are reporting a building fire - it seems the business Car Cannibal has burned to the ground and it's a total loss. No clues in this mysterious fire...
Old 10-21-2009, 07:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Like's ROVER ride's ,agitating,pimping poodle's ,tv

Gallery: 1
Thumbs up

In god we trust, All others PAY CASH

The son of a thousand Bastards
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone else have trouble getting paid by Car Cannibal?-picture-sam-134.jpg  
96 discovery Three types of suffering !!
03 discovery The snorkel
SAM3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #14 (permalink)

BEST part of this article quote From Car Cannibal:

Quote:
"I have given updates to those affected when asked and know that my answers were not always what they wanted to hear ... a more appealing story would be how a struggling small Oklahoma company pulled itself out of turmoil despite economic uncertainties.”
Love the spin LOL.
JoMar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 11:59 AM   #15 (permalink)

man, get on a plane and show up at the car lot with a cop and your title!
yesmar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > General Land Rover Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.