Headliner & Sunroof Repair Central Florida - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2006, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
HeadlinerExpress

Gallery: 0
Default Headliner & Sunroof Repair Central Florida

Hi All,

I'm a Mobile Headliner & Sunroof Repair Business here in Central Florida .

Landrover of Orlando has been my Account for the past 6 Years.

I'm also (1) of the Sponcers for the:Floridalandroverclub.com fall rally in 2005.Check out thier site to see My Service Vehicle its a 1968 Mercedes Unimog click on the Brown Sponcer Block.

I'm open to any Questions you may have on Headliner & Sunroof repairs on any of your Rangerovers,Classics,Discoverys etc..

I see your site also support Ebay Links for Landrover Vehicles & Parts. My User name is Oldstock4less on Ebay and I provide the 60 inch Materail in the 1/8th thickness as Original found in your Landrovers.

Let me know how i can help !

I also can be found on the BMW - Volvo Forums

68 Unimog TLF-8 Firetruck
65 Unimog Radio Box
98 Range Rover 4.6 (Sold)

www.HeadlinerExpress.com

www.LandroverHeadliner.com
HeadlinerExpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2006, 05:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
MG

Ok, here's a question that comes up quite frequently: what kind of adhesive works best on the headliner? (Which one do you use?)

Thanks!
.: 245 75 R16 BFG A/T KO
'95 Disco I, 3.9L V8i 5-speed - sold
Back in Wisconsin!
me.guevara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2006, 07:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
HeadlinerExpress

Default Headliner Adhesives Do's & Dont's

I use a 2-1/2 gallon Binks Spray Pot and use Weldwood Adhesive.

For a Do-It-Your Selfer, I would recommend using either a 3M 08080 or 3M 08090 which is widely used in Headliner Replacment.

Whats also nice about the 3M Adhesives are the "Spray Tips", you can control the flow. It sprays in a "Fan Spread" just like my Proffessional Binks Gun Sprays. Not in a Oval , like a Paint Can would spray. You get a Better Coverage on the Headliner Board & The Headliner Materail.

These type Adhesive MUST have a HIGH HEAT REDUCTION and also MUST HAVE A FLEX AGENT to allow for expansion and contraction for the Heat & Cold as well.

You need to make sure that the Weather Conditions are right before you do the Headliner in your Landrover or any other Vehicle. The Weather has everything to do with whether or not the Adhesive is going to Tack Up to your New Materail or not.

"Do Not" "Recover your Headliner Board on a Day while its Raining,Snowing" Even if you have a Barn, Industrail Warehouse, Garage. Just because Vehicle is inside does not mean that the Adhesive will tack up. The Humidity will be to High and even with the Best Dryers on your Compressure wont stop Mother Nature from spraying to much water.Your overall worry will be from the Spary can or Spray Gun Tip Passing through Mother Nature to your surface your working on.

UNLESS the Building is Totaly Climit Controled ( AC During the Summer ) ( Heated by Winter ).

Even using a Spray Pot like mine the same factors applie.Ocupational Hazard !

I hope this helps. If you have any other Questions Please feel free to Ask.

65 Unimog Radio Box

www.HeadlinerExpress.com

Old 01-14-2006, 07:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Gallery: 15
Default Im In Miami, Needed Repair!!!....

How much to repair?

or...

How much to Replace entirely?

If the difference isnt too much, I'll do the job entirely. I certainly wouldnt mind drivin up for a good deal. The lowest I've been quoted was 360 to replace. What say you?

1996 Discovery SE - The Blue Marlin
1965 Series IIa 109 RHD 2.25L Dsl - Wilks

1965 Series IIa 88' LHD 2.25L Petrol - Fionna
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2006, 08:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
HeadlinerExpress

Default Headliner Replacment vs Repair

Their are many Questions you need to ask of the trim shop your going to deal with, more so you need to be educated in the "Facts of what your going to have done to your Landrover".

I'll give you a few examples for you to consider:

#1) The Thickness of the Materail should only ever be 1/8th inch as Original.
which includes the foam backing and the cloth.

#2) 1/4 inch material is mostly used in the industry on Domestice Cars, The problem is the thickness will fill in your map pockets, your visors will not recess properly back into postion,It will push up th Binding around the headliner board and applie additional stress on your Sunroof Guides and Slider Sunshade.

#3) Even Bigger problem with the 1/4 inch is its only 54 inches wide the rangerovers and Series 1 and 2's are designed for 60 inch.

#4) The 1/8 th inch Materail is 60 inches wide, this is the Materail which is designed for your Vehicle.

#5) Most shops will tell you that the Original thickness materail is not availible, so the take the 1/4 inch turn the materail sideways and sew a seam in the materail and install it into your Landrover. Now from Grab handle to Grab Handle in the rear you have a big Fatty Seam. DONT LET THEM DO THIS. THE MATERAIL THAT IS DESIGNED IS AVAILIBLE.They tell you this because they dont want to spend the money to purchase additional materail they dont use.

#6) The Non-Sunroof series II is harder to do than the Dual Sunroof series II.

#7)The overall job takes 3 Hours, Rangerover or Series Models, the job does Not tahe 3 days, Seats and window's do not need to come out, heck not even the sunroofs need to be removed on a Series Model unless you have a Rangrover, just the glass will need to be removed.

#8) If they ask you to bring iyour landrover to thier shop for a Estimate their telling you they dont know your vehicle,so why would you pay less for someone to work on your investment when they dont have the experence.It will end up costing you more money in the long run.Broken Clips,Molding, Perhaps even the sunroof tracks,rails etc...

#9) I Charge $425 localy for either Rangerover or Series Models, they all take for the most part the Beige, I use the same materail in your Landrover as i use at Landrover of Orlando on their Customer Vehicles and Vehicles under Warranty.

I have the closest match in color to Origainl that you will find, Plus all our work is covered with a written Warranty for as long as you own your Car, Truck.( Life Time Warranty ).

Let me know how i can help. Have a great weekend.

65 Unimog Radio Box

www.HeadlinerExpress.com

Old 01-14-2006, 09:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Gallery: 15

Damn, 425 with a Warranty, by a guy that know's his stuff. SOLD! I'm in the middle of buying a bumper and tires, so anytime soon is out of the question. I'll let you know as soon as February Starts.

1996 Discovery SE - The Blue Marlin
1965 Series IIa 109 RHD 2.25L Dsl - Wilks

1965 Series IIa 88' LHD 2.25L Petrol - Fionna
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2006, 03:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Do you know anyone in the new york area to recommend who will do a quality job and warranty the work?
DISCO INCUBUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2006, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
HeadlinerExpress

Default NY Shop vs Headliner Board Replacment

I'm sorry i dont know anyone in NY that would be able to help you.

BUT i do have a way to take care of most of your problem.

Please forward me the information Year / make / model / with or without sunroofs/ with or without rear AC/ of your landrover.

Theirs a good chance i already have one recovered board in stock. I can always ship you a replacment board that i have personaly recovered in the correct Materail.

What all you would need to do is to remove your old headlner board and componets and re-intall with my replacment board that i already have in stock.

Let me know if this is something you might be intrested in and i'll get a shipping quote for you to NY.

I would not be able to provide a warranty unless we installed it for you. But the board would be inspected for quality before shipping.

Let me know how i can Help !

I have about 10 Series II Boards instock at all times/ at least 2 Rangerover Boards & 1 Freelander Board.

65 Unimog Radio Box

www.HeadlinerExpress.com

Old 01-14-2006, 05:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

I appreciate that . If i can't find anyone local who i can trust and who will not rob me blind i will definitely consider the replacement board if it is still available when i decide to take on this job.
95 Disco no sunroofs, no rear a/c.

Thanks joe
Old 01-15-2006, 06:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCO INCUBUS
I appreciate that . If i can't find anyone local who i can trust and who will not rob me blind i will definitely consider the replacement board if it is still available when i decide to take on this job.
95 Disco no sunroofs, no rear a/c.

Thanks joe
Just remove the headliner material and paint it with garage floor paint, I did and it looks great..

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...eadliner_1.jpg

1999 DI - LR HD Springs
1996 DI - parting out
1995 DI - parting out Scorpion Racing Extreme Kit
1994 RRC LWB - 3" AG lift
1991 RR - parting out (few parts left)
1990 Kawasaki KL650B Tengai - parting out
1989 Kawasaki KLR650
1988 Kawasaki KLR650 - parting out
1979 Puch XK
1980 Puch Magnum MKII
1980 Puch Magnum MKII - parting out
John C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2006, 03:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C
Just remove the headliner material and paint it with garage floor paint, I did and it looks great..

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...eadliner_1.jpg
That looks nice, do you notice any noise difference with the foam material removed?
Old 01-16-2006, 04:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
HeadlinerExpress

Default noise difference with the foam material removed

The Foam Backing is not designed to be a sound deadener.

The foam backing is designed to help remove any imperfections in the headliner board so that the cloth material will look correct with out any destorations , Bumps,...in the Cloth.

Also the foam backing is designed mostly to give the cloth something to attach to. The Cloth by its self attached to the headliner board would show all the destorations in the headliner board.

The cloth by its self is only about a 1/16 of a inch without the foam backing you can see right through the cloth.

The foam Backing by its self is 1/8" in thickness which allows the adhesive Not to bleed right through to the exposed side of the cloth in which you see from the inside of the Vehicle.

Your sound deadener is your Headliner Board !

65 Unimog Radio Box

www.HeadlinerExpress.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > General Land Rover Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.