Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

How reliable are the newer 2016 + Land Rovers? (Discovery)

7K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  DieselRanger 
#1 ·
We're considering a 2017 land rover Discovery with 7 seat option. Brother had a 2005 (i think) range rover sports and had nothing but trouble. Online article seems to steer the same direction and service centers experience also suck.

We're gonna go test drive one soon.The Discovery price seems to fit the bill. QX80 was part of the list but it's such a massive vehicle for everyday drive.

Would like some feedbacks from actual owners especially if you have a 2015+ Discovery.

#2 ·
I have an order in for a 2017.5 Discovery HSE Td6, and I feel pretty confident it will be a good vehicle.

I've been looking into this pretty heavily over the last year or so. What I've found is that there's not a whole lot of good info on actual rankings based on real data - these vehicles are expensive and relatively rare, so publications like Consumer Reports don't get their hands on them to test them very often yet still feel the need to rate them poorly despite an acknowledged small sample size. So, a lot of "ghosts" causing doubt about reliability remain. I've spent quite a bit of time on this forum as well as RangeRovers.net looking at 2014+ Range Rover Sport posts, and I've come to the conclusion that mechanically, the platform and drivetrains that are common between the Range Rover Sport and the new Discovery 5 are quite reliable - most failures seem to be onesy-twosey, with no "common" failures or things that recur model year to year. What issues I have seen (DEF errors, some air suspension faults) have been corrected through software reflashes or service notice software updates. There have been the usual complaints about the infotainment system in the press (InControl Touch Pro seems to get higher marks than the older system but still gets reported as laggy and occasionally buggy), but IMO there isn't an infotainment system that's as reliable as a top-end smartphone, which I feel shades most expectations in that respect.

Mechanically (V6 gas/diesel engine options, transmission, air suspension, emissions, etc), the 2014+ Range Rover Sport and the 2017+ Discovery are identical from the firewall forward and floorboards down. Given that the 2014 RRS scored pretty well against established competitors such as the Audi Q7 and Acura MDX in JD Power's most recent 3-year dependability survey, I'd say most of the poltergeists that have plagued previous model years have been exorcised. Car and Driver recently finished a long-term test of the full-sized Range Rover Td6, and it was remarkably well-behaved save for apparently two occurrences of the electronic dash flickering out while driving, and an air suspension fault. No full-electronic dash in the Disco, so that's non-sequitur, and the C/D RR had the older InControl Touch system, whereas the Disco only comes with the InControl Touch Pro system.

2017 Vehicle Dependability Study Midsize Premium SUV | J.D. Power
2016 Range Rover Diesel Long-Term Test | Review | Car and Driver

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing a lot of forum postings regarding the new Discovery yet, but it's only just being delivered to owners in the US who pre-ordered, and overseas as well. Most of those owners likely aren't forum types, so I'm assuming it will be a year or two before really useful posts start showing up. Haven't even seen one on the road yet aside from test drives - and you can't swing a pony-tailed soccer mom around here without hitting 3 LR4's and several Cayennes.:devil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.