Kingsborne 8mm vs STI 8mm vs NGK 8mm wires - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Disco Chai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Kingsborne 8mm vs STI 8mm vs NGK 8mm wires

TECHNICALLY whats the best for 2000 discovery 2 (V8,4.o,auto,gass,192k).then bosch platinum plus 4's,E3's,ect.? Just wanted some technical knowledge, Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
By TECHNICALLY, I believe you're asking for some factual substantiation. That's hard. I guess by the purest of definition, you need to be putting the OEM plug into it as that's what it was all designed around. However, I think it's pretty well-accepted that the OEM wires weren't all that great, and that replacements do have a positive effect, so maybe the factory isn't the last word.

IMO, I think plugs like the plus 4 work better in a modern vehicle that runs a much cleaner combustion process and uses a more sophisticated ignition system (higher energy, multi-strike). As I posted in your other thread, my best results have been with the Bosch Iridium and the Champion Double Platinum. If you have a dirty-running engine, with cheap wires, worn rings, etc, you'll probably get the best results with basic copper. It's all about the best path to the spark cap and none of those materials is a better conductor than copper. The E3 is a pure copper electrode.

Your thread title and the topic of your post differ- you ask about wires, then plugs. I assume you're looking for feedback on both.

On wires, I was unaware that NGK made an 8mm set for the Rover. They're OEM replacement is just that- equivalent to a wire that can definitely be improved upon. I like the STI- I think it's the best bang for the buck. I would certainly concede that a wire like the Magnacore is better, but the Rover doesn't have the current to take advantage of it. Can't comment on the third option.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Kingsborne 8mm vs STI 8mm vs NGK 8mm wires

I don't know much about spark plugs and wires but this is my experience.

I bought new NGK Platinums, it ran good, I swapped over to the Bosch Iridium and it ran like silk.

Don't know much about wires either, I bought the NGKs online and 3 of them already broke where the metal tube goes into the spark plug. That being said they're a nice color but they're junk in my opinion. I'd go with STIs or the Kingsbourne, I don't know how much better they are but hopefully better thank the NGKs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
It all falls into the category of "you get what you pay for". The caveat, though, is "how much do you really need". The NGK is an OEM replacement. That's not "equivalent". It will do the job of the OEM, but not last nearly as long or have the same structural quality. The OEM is very high quality, but electrically inadequate. The truck doesn't run bad with therm, but it can run better with other options.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 04:43 PM
Ian Matthews

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
In reality you will not notice any difference between the various brand of leads. The only time you may notice a slight difference is in the high rev range, which most people would never go into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > General Land Rover Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.