Need help bleeding my brakes - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Scealf

Gallery: 0
Default Need help bleeding my brakes

I just replace my front drivers side brake caliper due to leakage. I can't figure out how to bleed my brakes afterwards.

It seems like the brake fluid rod that plugs into the caliper needs to be out, then push down on the brakes, and quickly put it back in.

While the caliper was on, i couldnt screw the damn thing back in there. I ended up taking the caliper back off, screwing in the rod, and then putting the caliper back on.

Is there another way to bleed my brakes without having to unscrew the brake fluid rod from the caliper, then squeezing my brakes and quickly screwing it back in?
Dscealf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you post this in the relevant forum for the year/type of vehicle you will get a better response. From the above text I can not tell what sort of Land rover you have and therefore am unable to advise. Is that a DII in the the picture? Is it your vehicle? Is this the vehicle with the problem?

Hope this helps.

Matt.
roverandom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Scealf

Default sorry

yea, after i posted i found the relevant thread, but if it helps anybody, It's a 99 Disco 1
Old 01-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

If you need help, send me your number and I'll call you.
Make sure to have 4 pints of DOT 4 fluid before you start.

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Need Parts?
paulgrant@mac.com or call 203-770-1699
willtillery@roverguy.com or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8, http://lucky8llc.com/
British Parts of Utah, http://www.bputah.com/
Disco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Scealf

Default Thanks

Thanks mike,
I've talked to you before regarding another issue I had about a year and a half ago. I appreciate you taking the time to help people like me out. I think I've got it down for now. I just wanted to make sure before I got back out to the shop. I would like to talk to anybody however regarding increasing gas mileage; or if you just know how to - ive heard different things, but want to do something that doesn't require spending $300 up front.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

It is really a two man job. My boy helped me as I told him when to push on the brake pedal. Fill the master cylinder & start with the rear brakes then move to the front. (You need to do all four to make sure you get ALL of the air out of the system).

I learned the hard way after a master cylinder replacement that you need to energize the system. Turn key to the first click where the lamp test occurs & you hear the fuel pump energize.

On the caliper, there is a fitting that looks like a big zirc fitting. Carefully unscrew the fitting until the brake fluid starts to drip out of it. Attach hose from the cup or bag of brake fluid. Tell your helper to pump the brakes. Fluid will be pumped through the hose. Once it comes out bubble free, ask your helper to hold the pedal down (depressed) as you remove the hose & tighten the fitting. Top off the master cylinder and move to the next caliper's fitting.

Energizing the ABS pump by turning the switch is key. If you don't, you'll not get all the air out and you'll be doing it all over again.

Be careful to use the right socket as stripping the fitting is not a good idea.
Rescue17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > General Land Rover Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.