New guy - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
New guy

good evening guys, i just recently bought an 03 discovery with 120k on the clock. it needs a little work and it seems like every time i search a problem online this forum pops up with someone thats had a similar problem in the past, so i figured best to go ahead and join haha.

anyways ive always been a Ford guy. ive owned three f-150s, a 250 and a 350, my current company truck is an f150 and i also have a Ford tractor. i was a member of several ford forums before college took the front seat in the ole laptop. but ive recently decided a change of pace would be nice and after a little searching on the craigslist i came across a few Discos in my price range and ended up buying one out of atlanta. So far no complaints and its actually growing on me the more i drive it. because i have a company truck i drive weekdays, the land rover is my weekender.

ive got a small laundry list of repairs that need to be addressed before i start dropping money in mods. (plugs, coils, wires, axle seals, possibly front hubs) and a few im going to let the shop do (oil pan gasket, main seal, T-case leak and a few sensors). eventually my plan is a 2" lift, upgraded axle shafts and driveshafts, front and rear steel bumpers, winch, and a few offroad lights. later on down the road that list will more than likely get longer but thats my goal for now.

hope to hear from you guys soon, and maybe make a few connections. cheers

03 LR Disco II

Instagram: @tyholley85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum I have a Expedition and a Landy so I understand both.

1972 MGB
2007 Chawton White LR3
Trident Green, 1983 110

Need new parts, genuine Land Rover, aftermarket and off road upgrades, Support the Vendor that supports the Land Rover Community and Forum
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153

Have a DII you need a drive shaft click here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want a
best read this first

Need used parts?
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

thanks! and awesome, what year expedition?

03 LR Disco II

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
There are two things that you should do immediately. If your front driveshaft does not have grease zerks, replace it with a new one that is greaseable. Buy a third party gauge to keep track of engine temperature. Your temp gauge will only tell you when it has overheated and you will then probably need new head gaskets. The stock temp gauge does not move in increments; when it moves in one fell swoop from normal to hot, it is too late.

Good luck. And buy some tools and download Rave for help.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info. yea the horror stories of the front driveshaft failing has really scared my into doing it pretty soon. ill look into rave at some point, ive heard good things about it.

03 LR Disco II

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 04:30 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

1st Gen 99 EB 5.4 4x4 and my 110. Disco in the far back. That was loaded to the gills for the move from Chicago to Augusta last summer.

1972 MGB
2007 Chawton White LR3
Trident Green, 1983 110

Need new parts, genuine Land Rover, aftermarket and off road upgrades, Support the Vendor that supports the Land Rover Community and Forum
716-898-8153

Want a
best read this first

Need used parts?
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

oh goodness i believe it. my first truck was a 97 150 4x4 with the 5.4. had it for 7 or 8 years, bought it with 87k, totaled it with almost 230k. with the help from youtube and a couple forums i could take that truck apart with my eyes closed. luckily i never had any major issues with it but it would go through coils like underwear.

03 LR Disco II

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyl604 View Post
There are two things that you should do immediately. If your front driveshaft does not have grease zerks, replace it with a new one that is greaseable. Buy a third party gauge to keep track of engine temperature. Your temp gauge will only tell you when it has overheated and you will then probably need new head gaskets. The stock temp gauge does not move in increments; when it moves in one fell swoop from normal to hot, it is too late.

Good luck. And buy some tools and download Rave for help.
back on subject here, any particular brand of temp gauge you guys seem to have good luck with? and any input on mounting location?

03 LR Disco II

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 04:56 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

https://www.scangauge.com/

I had one mounted on the center console where the transfer case sticker was.

Monitors everything you can think of including coolant temp. You can set alerts etc. Very handy and works on more vehicles than Land Rover.

My expedition is rolling up to 186k on it now. Been through a few coil packs thats for sure and I think I have another on the way out.

1972 MGB
2007 Chawton White LR3
Trident Green, 1983 110

716-898-8153

Want a
best read this first

Need used parts?
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
https://www.scangauge.com/

I had one mounted on the center console where the transfer case sticker was.

Monitors everything you can think of including coolant temp. You can set alerts etc. Very handy and works on more vehicles than Land Rover.

My expedition is rolling up to 186k on it now. Been through a few coil packs thats for sure and I think I have another on the way out.
excellent thanks, ill look into those as soon as i finish the gift of a job that the land rover gods have bestowed upon us of changing coil packs

ford should have put a blinking red light on top of the coils that lit up whenever they went out to eliminate a stop at auto zone lol

03 LR Disco II

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 06:11 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

I just have a bluetooth scanner plugged in permanently in the obd port. I can feel the coil pack going just glad I have recently done plugs and coil on both back ones on the passenger bank. All the rest are wicked easy to get to.

1972 MGB
2007 Chawton White LR3
Trident Green, 1983 110

716-898-8153

Want a
best read this first

Need used parts?
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

have you ever done the packs in your disco? from all the videos ive found, evidently its best to remove the plenum? doesnt seem like to difficult of a task, but the more things i take off, the more things i have a chance of messing up when putting back on haha

03 LR Disco II

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:43 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Never thankfully. I probably would have burned it for the insurance money

1972 MGB
2007 Chawton White LR3
Trident Green, 1983 110

716-898-8153

Want a
best read this first

Need used parts?
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
Never thankfully. I probably would have burned it for the insurance money
i see lol. well hopefully it goes fairly smoothly

03 LR Disco II

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
I bought a head up display which monitors just about everything. Have been happy with it. Plugs into OBDII.

Google Head Up Display ZJ15500 to find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > General Land Rover Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.