New member questions - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New member questions

I finally have my wife talked into looking at, and possibly buying a new suv. She still drives her very cherry 1990 Toyota four runner with 47,000 miles on it that we bought new in '90.
A few questions to help me buy a Range Rover for her.
1. How come Consumer Reports gives Range Rover such low marks in the mechanical dependability area?
What kind of problems have other forum members had, particularly with new vehicles?
Mechanical, electrical, electronics, or recalls?
We live about 200 miles from the nearest dealer and really don't want to drive there for repairs.
2. If we were to have a traumatic breakdown, will LR/RR transport to vehicle to the dealer, send a mechanic to roadside repair, or whose responsibility to do what to facilitate repairs?
3. I doubt if we would ever sell or trade it (like her Yoda), but how well do Range Rovers hold their resale values?

Thanks in advance for any or all input. I really want to buy her a new Range Rover so I can borrow it on occasion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Drives like an old man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
I haven't owned one for very long, but I can help a little. Someone more knowledgeable will jump in with details or set me straight, I'm sure. 1. CR is right- these things have been fairly plagued with problems, mostly mechanical but some electrical/electronic as well. LRs are kinda legendary for needing something constantly, often something minor and easy to do yourself (thanks to this forum), but sometimes very complicated and expensive. They aren't Toyotas by any stretch, but they are getting better. 2. If you're buying a brand-new RR and you live a long way from the dealer...well, I wouldn't. Warranty repairs require the dealer to do the work in most cases. Used, you'll be fine. Some insurance companies throw in roadside assistance. Get some and consider an extended warranty if offered. 3. Range Rovers historically have not held their value at all, due to their reliability and dependability issues. Jeeps hang on to value much better. Don't buy it as an investment. I know nothing about the new RRs, so YMMV. Forget about trading it in in 5 years. You'll be disappointed. Plan to hang on to it forever.

ALL THAT BEING SAID: there's just something about owning a LR. It's far, far classier than any Jeep and will often amaze you and others (Jeepers) at its ability to get you there comfortably. It attracts attention and is very civilized for such a beast. And it's quite comforting to know you'll get where you're going, no matter what's in your way. It laughs at snow, scoffs at rough roads and positively grins at mud. Most of all, they're big fun. They're not for everyone, but for some, they're just right. There's good chance you'll never want to get rid of it.

2004 Disco II, bone stock, daily driver (gasp!)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input so far. Just like everything in the world, you get the service you could offer by attitude back by the service coming from gratitude. keep coming with comments please!

Wyoming new guy

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
If you are looking for dependability, better buy something else. If you are looking for fun, you are in the right arena. If you buy a LR or RR, it will be a love/hate relationship for as long as you own it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
if you plan to get a RR by a RR sport from 2006- on (4.4 V8)
or the RR full size 2007- on (4.4 V8)
These are the reliable ones.
Dave

The City is a Jungle.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 LR3/ SE 4.4 Fancy Professor (my girl's LR3)
2005 LR3/Disco3 SE 4.4 The Rhino
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(mine)
De-tangoed Headlights, LR4 Style Grille, Dueler Alenza HL 255 55 19"

1999 LR Disco II SD 200,900 miles (Sold)
1991 Range Rover Classic (Sold) 'The Turtle'
1988 Range Rover Classic (Sold) 'The Rust Bucket'
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks gang, keep the comments coming. I am enjoying all of them.

Wyoming new guy
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 06:39 PM
Special Agent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Garage
I will agree with safaridave
Although I love my d2... Newer ones are much more reliable.
Also as a recall, reading safaridaves' previous posts, normally aspirated engines are pretty much trouble free (as trouble free as anything else out there)

Happy Happy Happy

2002 D2 se7 6 seater . complete engine rebuild with flanged liners , 2 inch lift, terrafirma shocks, LT 275/65r18 Cooper stt tires, d1 modified front bumper, safety devices rack, 30" l.e.d. Light bar
2004 D2 se5 (sold)
2001 D2 se5 (parts truck)
2000 D2 se7 (retired)
1997 D1 (sold)
1957 Series 1 88" future projet
2006 Suburu legacy outback (gets me around when the disco is not)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Anybody see any real difference between the historic 4.4 v-8 and the 5.0 supercharged v-8? (other than the 10 grand on the window sticker). My wife and I are both gearheads and wonder if the 3.0 will keep us excited!

Wyoming new guy
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
You're looking at a very pricey vehicle that has the majority of parts available not stocked on this continent and virtually no shops want or are willing to work on them. 200 miles to the dealer should seal the deal on buying something else. The new one's are much better than the earlier models, but they're not Toyotas.

Four year residual is average at 50%. Much better than a decade ago. But you're not going to see that in a town without a dealer.

You should be asking the dealer these questions- we have no idea how they're willing to service you.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:18 AM

I am not sure about it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
New member questions

I'm a Diesel mechanic and I work on a lot of cars and trucks, in my professional opinion, the best cars are the ones easiest to work on and the cheapest. You buy any car and guess what, it's going to have problems one way or another.

This is what I like about Rovers:

-I hate transmission problems more than engine problems. And these Rovers do great transmission wise. Rarely problematic.

- At least on my 03 Disco, the V8 engine it has, is as simple as it gets. 30min and I can have the head off. Components like alternators, starters, power steering, a/c compressor are easily accessible if need be replaced.

- New parts aren't readily available all the time but they can be cheap online and there's a lot of used parts in my area. I can get an engine or tranny in a day.

-Fix the common problems and you got yourself a great Car.

I liked how @discomania04 put it, it's classy, it's not a redneck Jeep. I live in Colorado and every 3rd car is a Jeep, You go to a high school parking lot and half the guys there drive Cherokees, I mean it's cool but really nothing special in my eyes. Land Rovers really stand out and can do just as much as any Jeep. No offense to any Jeep people on here. Those are my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by DISCOlorado; 04-12-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > General Land Rover Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.