P1319 Mystery Misfire and Low/Empty Fuel Problem SOLVED!!! - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By CT090
  • 1 Post By ihscouts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
P1319 Mystery Misfire and Low/Empty Fuel Problem SOLVED!!!

If you recently have replaced the Air Intake Manifold Valley Gasket and are getting a Misfire (Cylinder 6 in my case) and Low/ Empty fuel code (P1319) this may be your problem.

It all started with replacing the headgasket on my 2003 Land Rover Discovery 4.6L 101k miles. I decided to purchase from Lucky8 Land Rover (a very reputable company) the complete Headgasket kit that came with everything. Headbolts, gaskets, and seals. I took my time on the whole job and made sure everything was to spec and torque. Upon it's completion, I turned it on, and the Service Engine Light was flashing. I read the codes and I was getting a fuel code along with a misfire.

It was definitely not spark related, I just installed new wires and Spark plugs, also my Spark Plug tester showed it was working, so not spark related, maybe fuel...

Thinking I clogged the injectors with some poopy tape I used to seal the inlet connection, I went online and purchased, new injectors. No change. Same misfire.

Well here's the dreaded test... Compression test, Passenger side was pumping 65psi (its low, but that's just idle) then i got to the problematic Misfire (Cylinder 6), 0-psi on Cylinder 6. Dang that means either warped head, bad valves or even worse, bad Piston rings.

Took the Head off and took it to the machine shop, the head passed inspection along with valves with flying colors. IT CANT BE RINGS!?!?!?! And on just 1 cylinder with 100k miles?!!?!?!

Sobbing back home from the machine shop I looked at the wretched cylinder once more and... EUREKA!!! the problem... the Intake Manifold Valley Gasket was missing a hole, the hole that Pushed fuel and Air into the Chamber (view Picture). It was a Manufacture Defect. Which explains the fuel code as well. How could I miss it??? Maybe because I finished it at 3am? Lucky8 sent me the kit for free again after I complained, replaced the parts and this car couldn't have sounded any better. Side note, I lapped the valves and replaced the Valve Stems when I had the Passenger Head off which makes feel a little better after this ordeal.

Hope this helps anyone or maybe the 1 in a Million guy who runs into this problem. Any questions please ask.
Aldo A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
That's a one-in-a-million (billion?).

Do you know the brand? I'm guessing it wasn't Victor Reinz or FelPro. It also doesn't appear to be beaded around the port perimeter.

Lucky8 should have done a hell of alot more for you than replacing a defective part. They were OBLIGATED to do the replacement. When a jobber sells a bad part to a shop, it's customary that they cover the labor tab.

You just discovered why you can't get a good compression test with a closed throttle.
DISCOlorado likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

It's probably whatever cheap supplier they get from China. Lucky8 should have had better parts but the total was $90 for the kit which is hard to beat. I did the work so they didn't pay me for my time.

Well here's the weird thing. I did the compression test on the Passenger Side cylinders and this is what I got,

Cylinder 8- 75psi
Cylinder 6- 0psi
Cylinder 4- 60psi
Cylinder 2- 60psi

This test was done with the engine running at idle speed. Do these figures sound right to you?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Wounded Knee Moderator

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
110 min/150 max psi is spec.

97 SD - Altai Silver. Sold
94 Saturn SC2

Roverless and wandering

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF.

The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultragauge

Contact info for Paul Grant;

203-770-1699

Contact info for Will Tillery;

540-462-7353
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihscouts View Post
110 min/150 max psi is spec.

But that's at full throttle correct?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCOlorado View Post

This test was done with the engine running at idle speed.
Am I reading correctly- did you do a compression test on cylinders on an engine that was running?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT090 View Post
Am I reading correctly- did you do a compression test on cylinders on an engine that was running?

Yes, that's where I messed up but even then Cylinder 6 had no compression. And it was at idle. The car runs like a champ even with a low compression reading.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 06:38 PM
Wounded Knee Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCOlorado View Post
But that's at full throttle correct?
Full throttle? One cylinder can pull enough air past the cracked open butterfly..... Bungie cord can hold the throttle open on a dead motor if you feel it's the way you want to do it. I'm not even sure how you do a compression test while a motor is running, never heard of such a thing. Normally it's three revs with the starter with fuel pump main fuse and coil relay pulled.....

94 Saturn SC2

Roverless and wandering

Ultragauge

203-770-1699

540-462-7353
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Full throttle? One cylinder can pull enough air past the cracked open butterfly..... Bungie cord can hold the throttle open on a dead motor if you feel it's the way you want to do it. I'm not even sure how you do a compression test while a motor is running, never heard of such a thing. Normally it's three revs with the starter with fuel pump main fuse and coil relay pulled.....

I know I did it wrong. I guess I did it the lazy way. I'll do it properly and I'll report the results which I'm sure will be more than 65psi.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 07:26 PM
Wounded Knee Moderator

God I hope so because a lawn mower engine has more poop to it......... On a 10:1 compression motor the numbers are 175 - 185 psi. Rover stopped a little short on the High Compression bus. 9.35:1.

94 Saturn SC2

Roverless and wandering

Ultragauge

203-770-1699

540-462-7353
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Wounded Knee Moderator

My first head gasket failure I ordered a kit from another vendor because it had "everything" and was less expensive. That lasted about a year before I was tearing it apart again. This time I ordered the good parts singularly because I knew exactly what I needed. From that point on I ordered parts individually for every motor I worked on which was somewhere above 30 (lost count beyond that). Valley pan, head bolts, head gaskets and sundry smalls as needed. Each was picked for quality and it makes a huge difference in longevity. I don't blame Lucky 8, chalk it up to experience and move on because now you know.
DISCOlorado likes this.

94 Saturn SC2

Roverless and wandering

Ultragauge

203-770-1699

540-462-7353
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
My first head gasket failure I ordered a kit from another vendor because it had "everything" and was less expensive. That lasted about a year before I was tearing it apart again. This time I ordered the good parts singularly because I knew exactly what I needed. From that point on I ordered parts individually for every motor I worked on which was somewhere above 30 (lost count beyond that). Valley pan, head bolts, head gaskets and sundry smalls as needed. Each was picked for quality and it makes a huge difference in longevity. I don't blame Lucky 8, chalk it up to experience and move on because now you know.

That's about the smartest comment I've heard. This is the first vehicle I'm personally going to own for a long time and I've changed out so many things on it because I want to see this thing go to 300k miles or more. I also assembled everything step by step from the RAVE Manual.

Only reason I bought these parts were because a Rover guy told me to go with Lucky8 because he's never had a problem with their stuff. I did buy Mahle head gaskets to compare but honestly, I liked the Lucky8 gaskets better, so I'm not trying to be cheap but I guess in a sense buying the kit was. So far I've spent at least $750 in parts for the engine alone. All it needed was a headgasket.

I'll keep your advice in mind next time I do anything to this Rover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > General Land Rover Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.