DI Diesel Conversion - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2007, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default DI Diesel Conversion

I just posted my basic idea for a diesel conversion in the General Discussion area. I probably should have posted my thoughts in this thread first since it seems there are some very knowledgeable people on the subject in the hybrid section. Any of you thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
-Hank
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Series Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZROVER
I just posted my basic idea for a diesel conversion in the General Discussion area. I probably should have posted my thoughts in this thread first since it seems there are some very knowledgeable people on the subject in the hybrid section. Any of you thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
-Hank
Cheapest option will be to source a 300Tdi and transmission will return 28-33 mpg more on a run and gentle,massive milage capability standard Landrover components,easily modified to give reliable extra power 160bhp it easily achievable.

Probably the best option would be to purchase a British lump and ship it a good 300 Tdi engine and trans with rad and intercooler should set you back around $3000 plus shipping

as US prices are nothing short of extortion

The td5 is another good option but you can double the initial purchase price.

If you need any further information just ask

I do have a contact who supplys good used 300 TDi engines and transmissions complete with rads and intercoolers all are tested and are generally low milage 70-100k units prices do vary for ultra low mileage units
94 Disco TDI 3dr ex-police 256k and still going
80" coil sprung V8 auto Trialer in progress
71 2a Trialer V8 auto,parabolics,6" shackles,power steering awesome machine

Stuff I have had at one time or another

76 S3 LWB
65 2a ex mil swb
71 2a swb safari
67 2a 1 tonne TACR
57 S1 V8 SWB
81 S3 SWB diesel
82 s3 SWB diesel
82 RR 2 dr perkins diesel
83 RR 4dr V8
84 RR 4dr V8 LPG
83 RR 4dr V8 LPG "in vogue"
88 RR gm 6.2 V8 Diesel
89 RR 3.5 mazda TDi
75 S3 LWB stationwagon
75 S3 2.6 LWB
86 110 2.5D
91 disco V8
91 disco TDi
89 disco V8
81 RR isuzu 2.8 TD
onslow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2007, 03:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Best 4X4XFar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZROVER
-Hank
Ignoring the technical legalities of running a TDI in the US I also agree it would be the easiest option.

A 200 or 300TDI is an easy swap as they have no electronics to worry about (except a few latter 300Tdi's which had ECU's but I'd stay clear of them).

What tranny have you got at the moment and do you have air con (and do you want to keep it?)?

The TDI will bolt up to most of the recent tranny's (LT77 or R380 manual or the auto's) all you need is the correct bell housing. The transfer box should be the same.

I'd also recommend looking at getting a bigger intercooler it will make a difference. If you have air con the condensor will be in front of the rad this means you can't run a full width intercooler but high efficeny stock size ones are available. If you don't use the air con much I would consider getting rid of it so you can run a decent sized full width intercooler.

Have a look at Allisport, Jeremy J Fearn and Twisted Performance for ideas of performance mods (use Google to find them).

Apart from engine mounts and other minor accessories you should be set to pretty much drop it in and bolt it up (well kinda, but it should be pretty easy as far as engine swaps go).

200/300Tdi's are pretty available here, either 2nd hand or as a new/rebuilt engine. Only last year I bought a nice 200TDi from Ebay.co.uk for only 475 low milage and good condition. 300Tdi's are a bit more money, you generally see them for around 700-900. Or you could buy an entire vehicle just to get the engine out of it.

The TD5 is quite a different engine, well 5 cylinders for a start but it'll still fit the engine bay although might be a little tight in places. These are much more revvy engines but still very strong performers. They are fly-by-wire but that's not a major issue and of course have a ECU, but it's a pretty basic setup really. If you go this route you'll also need the ECU and probably the latter transfer box. There is also an in tank pump which you'll need to sort.

Prices are a tad more but surprising not that much more. I have seen TD5's go from 900-1100 range so still quite feasible. But it won't be a straight bolt in and will require a little more fab work.

This however would be worth it in my opinion, while the stock 122bhp (Defender - Discovery II TD5 had 136bhp) isn't all that impressive the engine does respond to mods very well. 190bhp is easy and Twisted Performance can supply bolt on's for 220bhp and well over 300lb ft torque and still have good MPG.

Remember numbers on diesels don't mean much, it's how they develop the power that counts, as in instant. Very very different to a V8 and IMO much much better in an off roader.

Mods:Allisport LARGE FMIC | Allisport Tuned | Simex Jungle Trekker II 33.11.50R15 Tyres | 15x8 8 Spokes | Heavy Duty Uprated Suspension (shocks & springs) | Wheel arch Flares | 1" Wheel Spacers | Custom Straight Thru Exhaust | Custom Trimmed Front bumper with twin NATO Hooks | Custom Rear Bumper with single Large NATO Hook 360˚ Swival | Front Light Guards | Custom Aluminium Rear Floor | Bonnet Straps | 100w Spot Lights | Upgraded Headlights

The Best 4X4XFar
300bhp/ton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2007, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies guys. I just found out last night that there are about 10 300tdis with both 4 speed auto and 5 speed transmissions available just down the street from me in a warehouse. I can get it installed for a total of $6,000. How does this sound as far as the price? They are low mileage and it might be worth the extra $ to not worry about the shipping of one from across the pond. I am not sure if these are the ECU ones and I need to do a bit more research as far as legal ability of me to do this. As far as the A/C is concerned, I live in Phoenix so when its 110+ outside, it's kind of a matter of my health! What is the cost of a full length inter-cooler and the possibility of squeezing it in somewhere and still being able to use a/c? Thanks for the help!
-Hank
Old 04-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

well for an intercooler just pull one off a supra or something there are tons of aftermarker stuff out there for rice burrners you can use and there is nothing more then i want then a TDI do 6,000 you say how long will this be offered and i dont cair for a/c
96owner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
caneman

I know this is an old thread. Hank/AZROVER I hope you get this. I found a place in San Diego that will do the engine swaps as well. Only problem is I would have to find a complete 300tdi drivetrain. Can you give me more info on your Tempe, Arizona contact? I would rather not have to import and pay shipping costs if I can get this locally. I live in Los Angeles.
caneman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 11:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

For DI diesel engine conversions I recommend a pre-IP vegoil temperature of 140*F to 160*F. The majority of this heat can be supplied by the coolant using simple fuel/coolant heat exchangers. Normally the maximum temperature that can be achieved using only coolant heat is around 120-140*F. After as much heat has been added with coolant/fuel heat exchangers as possible 12vdc electric resistance heaters are used to boost the vegoil fuel temp further if needed.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

AzRover can you send some info on your az. Contact iam looking for a source other then canada. Also will they still do a swap for 6000 very very intrested thanks. _jeff
ruditron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

I am really punching this idea around and was wondering if someone could post up the current numbers (cost) associated with getting my hands on a 300tdi on the East Coast (Georgia)?

Thanks-
DB
Leaks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default I am going to try something!

I have a free 6.2l GM diesel with a banks turbo system! I am going to rebuild it and use it! My engine is fine right now so it will give me time to increase the capacity of the 6.2 and collect all the necessary parts!
LRD FETISH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

The necessary parts to make a good GM 6.2 diesel?............a different engine would be a good start.

Other than the fact there are lots available I really don't understand why guy's still insist on putting these old boat anchors in projects. Huge weight, slow revving, noisy, smokey, very low horse power, almost as bad torque, poor MPG and not very durable. As far as older big domestic diesels go first pick would be any version of the Cummins 4/6cyl, then the Ford power stroke 7.3, then everything else, then the 6.2.

Even GM did not like it and soon replaced the unit with the almost as bad 6.5 engine. Now, if you could get a modern Duramax diesel to fit that would be a interesting project.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I was a GM mechanic and worked on lots of these engines and well remember their short comings.

Matt.
roverandom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRD FETISH View Post
I have a free 6.2l GM diesel with a banks turbo system!
Kinda says it all. Even with a Banks power upgrade it's still not worth anything!

Matt.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

For the people simply wanting to swap in an engine like the 300TDI, what is the cost and what all will you have to do for the swap. I have 2002 land rover discovery II with 99k miles on it, and having a few issues with the motor. I think the person before did not change the oil like they were supposed to, now has a ticking and was told the lifters are not adjustable and long story short if I am going to start basically tearing the engine apart to fix, I may as well put a diesel in it while I am at it.

Can I get an idea of what all has to be done, and where to find a decent diesel to put in it?
crmccune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 06:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

Unless you are in the UK or somewhere that the diesels were marketed it's gonna cost more than it's worth.

Disco II had the Td5 diesels, excellent engines but they are heavy on electronics so a swap would not be very straight forward. You could fit a 300TDI but it would be expensive and I think you would disappointed with the performance in a heavy DII.

Enough $$$ will fit a Cummins from a Dodge, but the drivetrain will explode the first time you mash the 'go' pedal and the weight of it will collapse the suspension. But with enough $$$ and you could make anything work.

Bottom line, unless you have a 300TDI or TD5 Disco sitting around in the yard and have a bunch of time on your hands it's gonna cost too much. And those older diesels don't get great mileage either. The Td5 is not bad but it still will not pay you back in fuel savings.

Sticky lifters are not that hard to fix you know?

Matt.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

Another suggestion is the 4BD1/T Isuzu 3.9 was fitted in some markets to the defenders fairly simple common motor and the NA ones will happily handle 25 pound boost. Plenty of information here on various diesel swaps, Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums and a few projects as well as the stock ones here The Isuzu Landy Enthusiasts Section - Australian Land Rover Owners .
Nero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Hybrid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.