Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Performance Chip

18K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  anysmith 
#1 ·
I was searching through Ebay last night and came across this chip that is designed for LR's, in perticular, I was looking at one for my RRC. :) It was only around $30 shipped, so I ordered it, just to try it out, the manufactuer has one of those 30 day gaurantees. :D

It claims to gain 21 bhp, and 17 ft/lb. torque. We'll see about that soon.

And this thing can increase MPGs in the ebay ad. If it doesn't seem to work, I can send it back.

What do you guys think? :)

Here's the site of the chip that I am getting: http://contestmotorsports.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page1.html

#3 ·
if its any thing like all the other so called performance chips on ebay all it will do is trick your ECU into thinking its taking in cold air so it will dump more fuel into the engen so it will give your more horsepower. and as far as increasing MPG will i dont think it will. but thats only if its like the other so called performance chips out there.

#4 ·
Well, like I said before, if I don't like what it does or if does more harm to mileage and hp, than I can simply remove it and if desired, send it back for full refund. So I got nothing really to lose. :)

#7 ·
It works the same as pushing down harder on the gas pedal. Don't bother- it's sad that people who sell 15 cent resistors on eBay with wild claims make any money doing it.

#8 ·
O.B. said:
I'm note real sure on this, but those "performance chips" (resistors in a box) will work for a little while, then the ECU will sense a discrepency. After which it will trim back to normal, or throw a code.
I am not real sure it is a resistor in a box. :shifty: Like I said, I wanna try this thing out, and if I don't like what it does, it throws a CE light, and/or decreases performance, especially MPG's, I will simply return it! ;)

Muddy Oval said:
It works the same as pushing down harder on the gas pedal. Don't bother- it's sad that people who sell 15 cent resistors on eBay with wild claims make any money doing it.
I dunno about that. I have seen these other chips out there, that are just a tiny resistor in the slightly big box. I didn't order those, plus I am just trying this thing out, I can return it safely for a refund if I want to, plus it is only $30 shipped. It can only cause me embarrassment if it doesn't work, and/or decreased MPG/performance. ;)

#9 ·
What you got is either a resistor in a box or just a box... it's not a "real" chip. A "real" chip would require installation in the ECU or a piggyback off the ECU main harness (a big multi-wire interface). You've been had

#10 ·
There is one born every minute....

You should have asked first.

The guy may return your money, but don't be surprised if a check comes in the mail from "Al's Gay Sex Club, LLC", or "Butt Hole Bangers"... Scammers do this to make you feel embarrassed to cash the check.

#11 ·
Come on guys, no need to tell me **** like that, "I've been had", or I'll get a friggen check from a Sex club. :(

Alright, I accept the fact that this thing I ordered isn't a real deal, it said on the manufacturer's website that this thing wires into the ECU harness, however didn't say where. It doesn't hurt to try it. ;) I might be embarrassed that it wouldn't work, in any way, but at least I tried it. It might've been a waste of my time, but I can return it, regardless of what it says on the check. ;)

#12 ·
Do you know how much a new ECU for a 94 Range Rover is if it causes a problem?

#15 ·
OK, I will look at this thing, before it even goes on the Rover.

I just got a question, is has anyone ever tried this product? If so, please explain why it is such a peice of ****. :shifty:

And if there is another alternative to this "chip" is there something out there? :dunno:

I don't wanna sound like a complete ignorant, prick, but I just want to see why this thing is a real peice of ****. :dunno: I mean the site shows dynos, of other vehicles that show increase in MPG's, and HP, but not a whole lot, maybe just a few or so.

And BTW, I know any ECU for any car, is not cheap at all. ;)

Plus I know that it takes static electricity, or some real high voltage spike to kill and ECU, I don't think something this small will generate anything like that, it would take a Magnetic Pulse Generator (ya know things found on wheel speed sensors, Crank sensors, etc.), fed into the ECU inputs to cause damage. Unless the "chip" has some really big capacitors in it, I don't think it can cause real harm, unless someone says otherwise from experience or something. ;)

#16 ·
What they're selling is a universal product. That should be the big red flag here. A true performance chip would be custom-tailored to your vehicle's year, make, model, engine, and transmission. No universal product can correctly adjust your ECU like they claim.

This product has been around for quite some time in various forms, from the $0.15 raw resistor from Radio Shack, to something like this that's basically the same thing in a nice-looking package. They all do roughly the same thing, they alter the sensor input to trick the ECU into thinking it's running lean, and the ECU corrects for this by dumping more fuel into the engine, giving you more power. So, it genuinely will give you more power, at least temporarily.

The problem is that LR ECUs actively adjust the air-fuel mixture based on sensor inputs. So, you put this gizmo in to make the ECU think it's running lean, the ECU compensates, and you get more power. A few minutes later, the ECU realizes that the engine is now running rich, decides that the sensor with this thing attached is giving faulty readings, and adjusts to compensate, putting you back at square one.

So, yes it will give you more power briefly, but unless you plan on resetting the computer every time you want that boost, you won't see much of that extra power. And, depending on what you hook it to, you do run the risk of damaging the ECU in the process. These things have been demonstrated time and time again to be worthless at best, and pretty much every respectable car forum in existance will tell you the same thing.

#17 ·
Well with that said, Felix, I now have second thoughts about putting this thing on. :eek:

Now how exactly does it damage the ECU? Sending a different signal to the ECU, doesn't harm it. Unless it is severe enough to throw a code, and make the engine run like crap, would it damage the circuitry in the ECU. If it is a resistor, it is only reducing current flow, which means the internals in the ECU would not be harmed. I learned this a few weeks ago in class.

#18 ·
The ECU is a sensitive piece of electronic equipment, and there's a lot of variation between manufacturers. What works in one, won't work in another. This resistor is a non-specialized part trying to fit into a specialized application, and while it may work in some cars, it has the potential to cause damage in others. I've heard of these causing ECU failures in some Fords and Toyotas, but I don't really have evidence handy. I still wouldn't trust these things, especially in an engine as finicky as a Rover (come on, every Rover owner has seen a Rover electrical system flake out at some point :) )

#19 ·
I haven't seen any electrical problems yet as far as engine wise, I mean my power seat wasn't working til, I hit the relay under the seat, and has worked ever since. But I guess I will have to take your guys' word on this, and not use this so called "chip". ;) I will return it as soon as it arrives. :)

Now then, is there a manufacturer out there somewhere that makes a programmer, actual "chip", anything of that nature, that is SAFE for my ECU? :dunno: Just curious. :eek:

#21 ·
RageRover said:
Now then, is there a manufacturer out there somewhere that makes a programmer, actual "chip", anything of that nature, that is SAFE for my ECU? :dunno: Just curious. :eek:
I understand that MSD has a good system, but couldn't tell you firsthand - I've gone as far as replacing my 10-year-old OEM coil with the MSD high vibration coil with very nice results (I combined that mod with Magnacor ht leads). I plan on going that route eventually. Google MSD and check their site out.

I know a couple of LRO members who have done some pretty neat performance mods to their LRs, the one that comes to mind is Disco - search his posts out, he's even uplinked some pictures. I think Muddy Oval has chipped some LRs, too, but I'm sure he'll speak for himself, right Steve?

Like you, I'm on the quest for better fuel consumption and engine performance, so I understand your motives - take the guys' advise, though...

Rover on!:rellye

#22 ·
the company I work for made a piggyback ECU to allow supercharging Range Rovers. It's a helluva lot more than a resistor trying to alter the value of a temp sensor. The ECU of the Rover isn't like some more modern designs that can have a chip swapped and gain horsepower easily. The ironic part is that Range Rovers tend to run rich as it is- making it more so would be REALLY bad.
The ECU can be damaged by sticking resistors inline with sensors- It can be damaged by the heat from the soldering gun, static discharge and internally could be damaged by the presense of that mystery cure-all chip because quite honestly nobody knows what it will do to the signal.
Most aftermarket computer mods for petrol engines change the fuel and ignition map to allow high octane fuel and advanced ignition. Your Range Rover was already designed for high octane fuel and when given that fuel, it will advance the timing to gain power up until a practical limit. Aftermarket ignitions will help, but the gains are not huge compared to the cost. You're a victim of clever marketing. I could post a dyno sheet of a stock Range Rover and then post a dyno sheet that says Range Rover but instead put my car on there and you'd then believe it went to 466HP?

#23 ·
Muddy Oval said:
the company I work for made a piggyback ECU to allow supercharging Range Rovers. It's a helluva lot more than a resistor trying to alter the value of a temp sensor. The ECU of the Rover isn't like some more modern designs that can have a chip swapped and gain horsepower easily. The ironic part is that Range Rovers tend to run rich as it is- making it more so would be REALLY bad.
The ECU can be damaged by sticking resistors inline with sensors- It can be damaged by the heat from the soldering gun, static discharge and internally could be damaged by the presense of that mystery cure-all chip because quite honestly nobody knows what it will do to the signal.
Most aftermarket computer mods for petrol engines change the fuel and ignition map to allow high octane fuel and advanced ignition. Your Range Rover was already designed for high octane fuel and when given that fuel, it will advance the timing to gain power up until a practical limit. Aftermarket ignitions will help, but the gains are not huge compared to the cost. You're a victim of clever marketing. I could post a dyno sheet of a stock Range Rover and then post a dyno sheet that says Range Rover but instead put my car on there and you'd then believe it went to 466HP?
Thanks Steve, I was weak on this crappy mystery box. :eek:

But yeah I could not believe that the horsepower would shoot up to a crazy 466 HP. :shifty: :lol: Unless my RRC had a Power Stroke, Cummins, or Dirtymax Diesel, could I use one of those power programmers plugged into the OBD II conector, would power increase. :) (hey that would be cool to have that crazy of a diesel under the hood, but I ain't gonna do it, would cost a crazy much to convert all that stuff, ;) )

#24 ·
#25 ·
me.guevara said:
I understand that MSD has a good system, but couldn't tell you firsthand - I've gone as far as replacing my 10-year-old OEM coil with the MSD high vibration coil with very nice results (I combined that mod with Magnacor ht leads). I plan on going that route eventually. Google MSD and check their site out.

I know a couple of LRO members who have done some pretty neat performance mods to their LRs, the one that comes to mind is Disco - search his posts out, he's even uplinked some pictures. I think Muddy Oval has chipped some LRs, too, but I'm sure he'll speak for himself, right Steve?

Like you, I'm on the quest for better fuel consumption and engine performance, so I understand your motives - take the guys' advise, though...

Rover on!:rellye
Installing an MSD system would be a huge improvement, but it wouldn't really have anything to do with the ECU. But yes, I highly recommend MSD kits.

#26 ·
I have noticed on MSD's website, that they don't have applications for LRs, not surprisingly, LOL. But I did find a universal kit, you can use the box, and it splices into the coil to distributor harness using the kit's hardware. :) They also make a distribuotr for a Buick 215, and isn't that gonna work with our V8's like the 4.2? Or is it different? :dunno:

Here's the link to the disty from MSD:
http://msdignition.com/dist_32.htm :) Just thought to ask before I hurt myself. :lol:

Of course there are MSD's Blaster Coils, only around $40 maybe, the ignition wires, the box, should make a nice ignition system, make use of all the fuel put into the engine. :) Cause I notice she drags a little. :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.