Just installed a Chevy 350 in my Discovery!! - Page 11 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I'm also waiting to see the results of this swap.

Talk's cheap and there's a lot of it here.

Let's see some pics!

I'm doing a 300 into a RRC. I'm amazed at all of the little things I'm finding that need to be resolved that have NOTHING to do with the engine swap. I'm rebuilding the ABS and replacing the heater blower motor-not exactly engine swap related, but part of the project!

BTW-an RRC or DI would probably be the easiest coilers to do this with as the transmission is purely mechanical with no comms with the engine ECU. The ZF transmission will handle plenty of power-everybody wants to bash them, but they are pretty robust.

Yes, I am still alive, and still in the Rover parts business.
Text me for greatest likelihood of finding me.

260-804-0458

Dominic Perodeau/Global British is a thieving bastard, do not send him money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The guy hasn't been logged into the board since early October. I'm guessing things went horribly wrong with the transplant.

The influence of fine scenery,
the presence of mountains,
appeases our irritations
and elevates our friendships.
-Emerson
post #153 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series 3 guy View Post
.......there is nothing you cant ACCOMPLISH with a stock Rover v8 that you can with a new GM powerplant.
That is VERY funny.

I have just priced out what is necessary to get my late model Mems "Bosch" 4.6 upgraded to around 300 BHP and it is not cheap, not to mention still a long way off of the stock power output of a late model GM LSx engine. If I do all of the labor and build the lump myself it will end up costing more than $6,000. For the LSx I can get all the mounts and conversion parts including a 400 HP lump with engine management and transmission and conversion pieces to use the original transfer case for about the same price. It's a toss up, either way it will be a lot of work with even more work to make the dash and console look right. The LSx is a far superior engine that makes way more power and burns less fuel and has fully mappable engine and transmission software. On top of all this I am not a GM fan but there is no denying that they have an amazing engine that is still going strong and Rover has a very tired old orphaned engine that has had it's day.

post #154 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake_Bueller View Post
The guy hasn't been logged into the board since early October. I'm guessing things went horribly wrong with the transplant.
I agree. It could be he got in over his head technically or financially, or maybe it was just a bad idea.
post #156 of 166 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrill View Post
That is VERY funny.

I have just priced out what is necessary to get my late model Mems "Bosch" 4.6 upgraded to around 300 BHP and it is not cheap, not to mention still a long way off of the stock power output of a late model GM LSx engine. If I do all of the labor and build the lump myself it will end up costing more than $6,000. For the LSx I can get all the mounts and conversion parts including a 400 HP lump with engine management and transmission and conversion pieces to use the original transfer case for about the same price. It's a toss up, either way it will be a lot of work with even more work to make the dash and console look right. The LSx is a far superior engine that makes way more power and burns less fuel and has fully mappable engine and transmission software. On top of all this I am not a GM fan but there is no denying that they have an amazing engine that is still going strong and Rover has a very tired old orphaned engine that has had it's day.
If you had the same ability to control fuel mapping with the Rover, couldn't you get close to the same power as the Chevy engine?

What's so special about one GM engine based upon a 1956 design versus another based upon a 1960 GM design? And, why can't the same, or similar changes be made to the other GM engine?

260-804-0458

post #157 of 166 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
My 3.9 runs, my truck moves and has yet to not get where I was heading due to lack of horsepower. Has not left me stranded and has been completely predictable.

No cost of conversion = happy Rover owner.

1972 MGB
2007 Chawton White LR3
Trident Green, 1983 110

Need new parts, genuine Land Rover, aftermarket and off road upgrades, Support the Vendor that supports the Land Rover Community and Forum
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153

Have a DII you need a drive shaft click here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want a
best read this first

Need used parts?
post #158 of 166 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
A small block Chevy V8 engine swap must be the most boring, un-original and over rated swaps ever (after the 6.2L and 6.5L GM diesels of course). Wow a SBC engine swap.......is there anything you can't put a SBC into?

who cares about HP? The Rover V8 best points are good torque numbers and, due to its aluminium construction, light weight. I agree with ArmyRover, don't fix what ain't broke.

My 2c.
BryanJoslin likes this.

"Your only supposed to blow the BLOODY DOORS OFF" Charlie Croaker. The Italian Job. 1969.

Matt.
post #159 of 166 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverandom View Post
who cares about HP? The Rover V8 best points are good torque numbers and, due to its aluminium construction, light weight. I agree with ArmyRover, don't fix what ain't broke.

My 2c.
They are flat-out elegant engines! The Brits took the red-headed step child of the SBC and made it work better than the Yanks could.

It's light, robust if taken care of at all, produces modest amounts of power and can last forever!

I don't find the parts to be all that expensive once I learned how to shop for them and got a coupla parts trucks

260-804-0458

post #160 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnDirty View Post
It really is an attractive swap. I can't stand the fact that my RRC won't run well whenever we get heavy rain. We got a bit of rain on Sat. due to Danny, and I drove my truck on Sun. and it ran like sh*t. It does that every time it rains hard.
That's unacceptable.
post #161 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
350 in a Disco? I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. Thats just one step away from owning a Jeep. A Land Rover is a Land rover.NOT a GM product. I understand the desire for more reliability but jesus......thats just slight butchery right there. Sorry. I guess I'm a purest.
You DO realize the Disco has a BUICK engine in it, right? (i.e., it IS a GM product)
post #162 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I would consider the swap but I am too much a traditionalist to bastardise my rig like that.
There's nothing wrong with being a traditionalist. I say if you want a Land Rover buy one. If you want a GM product buy one. Don't combine the two. It's NOT a Land Rover if it's powered by anything other than a LR motor. If it was made by Land Rover for Land Rover,assembled in the UK and was designed with the LR in mind then it's ok.

By the time you complete the swap and manage to get the wiring looms together and computers to talk and work out the bugs (which will be with the truck for the entirety of it's life) you could have had the LR engine completely custom rebuilt. Whats the point anyway?? Whats the real advantage?

To all the fucktards trying to shit talk asking if I know that GM design has played a part in LR and Rover V8's...fuck off. I probobly have more LR knowledge in my stool than you have in your head.Seriously... know what and who your talking shit to before you run your mouth. Don't be an asshole because your opinion varries.
Dickhead
post #163 of 166 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:14 AM
It's all about my Blue Balls!

Wow, I'm very impressed!!!!! Can't wait to see it all done!!!
post #164 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 09:54 AM
Drives like an old man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
YES, I know it's an old thread, but:

Man, after reading all this crap, I'm ready to ditch the Disco and go back to Jeep. Except for the prestige (whatever that's worth) of owning a LR, why own one? The Jeep is AT LEAST as capable, far, far more reliable, way more powerful, simple to work on, gets better mileage and parts are readily available. And, it fits in my garage. So, I'm thinking it might be time to move on...or back. If I have to baby this thing to make it last, why is it considered a tough off-road vehicle? Are we all dumb asses for defending them? Beginning to think so. Or maybe I just don't get it. I want a vehicle I can drive every day and go anywhere in it. Why can't I do that in an expensive vehicle like this? What are we paying for?

/end_rant/

Okay, let 'er fly. Don't tase me, bro. Just being honest.

2004 Disco II, bone stock, daily driver (gasp!)
post #165 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Generally speaking I do not think you should use the term "daily driver" and "Land Rover" in the same sentence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > Show it off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.