Just installed a Chevy 350 in my Discovery!! - Page 3 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Beach Bum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Rover View Post
People need to learn their engines. Or at least the basic stuff.....
Who? I think he michaels explained it to a tee. Chevy thought why mess up a good thing and cut two cylinders off the block to fit into the S-10's Blazers, Jimmy's and whatnot....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrummal View Post
I was just saying it isn't an LS1. an LS1 is an LS1. an LQ9 is an LQ9.

They are different. The bores are different. The stroke is the same. Cams are different-- LS1 has a gun-drilled cam, the LQ9 has a billet. Different rocker arms. The compression ratio is different as well. Sure, the LQ4 and LQ9 are based off of the rest of the Gen III small blocks (the first of which was the LS1), but they are different

And WTF is this BS about aluminum blocks not taking abuse as well as cast iron? So, are you saying the LS9 would be better with a cast iron block because aluminum isn't strong enough?
It is the most powerful engine from the factory GM has ever made. That is a testament to aluminum's durability.
Well, that and the fact that GM is moving to all aluminum blocks across the board.
There's a bigger chance of a piston going through the block in an aluminum block than an iron block. Ask me how i know this :-D!!

I don't think a stock LS1 would take much abuse in a disco. But there's a reason GM used iron blocks in their trucks/suv's.

2003 Discovery S
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
flipped
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 RRC LWB 25 Ann. Ed.: Full 5" RTE Suspension Lift, Front and rear RTE Bumpers, Roof Rack, 36" Super Swamper TSL on steelies, Gears, Axles, Lockers, RE 12,000.
LebanonOffRoad.com - Roco4x4.com -
post #33 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 08:32 PM
got mud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebaneseShowoff View Post
There's a bigger chance of a piston going through the block in an aluminum block than an iron block. Ask me how i know this :-D!!

I don't think a stock LS1 would take much abuse in a disco. But there's a reason GM used iron blocks in their trucks/suv's.
Yeah, but I have a feeling the corvettes get more abused than the tahoes.

Pete
2003 DII CDL equipped
33" Destination M/Ts

post #34 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
An LQ9 is the same design as the LS1, except iron block and bigger displacement. Aluminum blocks fail in truck. I had a cam and bolt-on 98 LS1 that ran 11.4 in the 1/4 mile, i beileve i know what an LS1 is. People put 408 LQ9 strokers on F-bodies because they can take the abuse an aluminum block can't.

Somebody better tell that aluminum V8 under my RRC's hood that it can't take the abuse. It's been taking it for a 150k + and still going strong.

1972 MGB
2007 Chawton White LR3
Trident Green, 1983 110

Need new parts, genuine Land Rover, aftermarket and off road upgrades, Support the Vendor that supports the Land Rover Community and Forum
716-898-8153

Have a DII you need a drive shaft click here

Want a
best read this first

Need used parts?
post #35 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:

I believe that GM used cast iron in the trucks to save cost. Weight is less of a factor in trucks than in cars. And aluminum is expensive. And cast iron blocks don't require cylinder sleeves. I think the aluminum block would hold up just fine. The whole LS1/LQ4 thing is just semantics. Almost all parts interchange- same engine family. I agree though that it is doubtful that the stock Rover drivetrain would hold up to a LS1 or LQ4. They make rediculous power, right out of the box. They are a totally different experience the the older generation SBC. Even the 5.3L truck motor makes really good power.

Never follow stupid people to stupid places to do stupid things...
post #36 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebaneseShowoff
But there's a reason GM used iron blocks in their trucks/suv's.
did you read all of my post?

Quote:
...and the fact that GM is moving to all aluminum blocks across the board.
the weight saving in SUVs and trucks because of mileage is becoming a big factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnDirty
The whole LS1/LQ4 thing is just semantics.
True. they are in the same engine family but they are not the same. It's like saying a Lexus is a Mercedes because they look the same.

This site sucks balls.
post #37 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
did you read all of my post?

the weight saving in SUVs and trucks because of mileage is becoming a big factor.

True. they are in the same engine family but they are not the same. It's like saying a Lexus is a Mercedes because they look the same.
No, it is like saying a Lexus is a Toyota, because they are of the same manufacturer and use the same technology. Anyway, not really worth getting in a pissing contest over details.

post #38 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 04:50 AM
You can only go UPHILL in life

2 years ago, a guy in Florida was selling a Series 109 Stage I ( already v8 engine - pre 110 ) converted to a 350 Chevy, with GM tranny and selectable 2/4WD switch on demmand ( like a Blazer I guess ) and an auto tranny.

The 109 had so much power, scary to stop it , even with the Disc Brake conversion.

The finishing touches for the inside console were lousey, but a great runner

Gustavo
88 D110 Tdi
06 D3 HSE7 ( Mrs' )
06 D3 SE7 ( soon to be the wheeler )
95 RRC LWB ( soon for sale )

post #39 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 05:03 AM

It really is an attractive swap. I can't stand the fact that my RRC won't run well whenever we get heavy rain. We got a bit of rain on Sat. due to Danny, and I drove my truck on Sun. and it ran like sh*t. It does that every time it rains hard.

post #40 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 06:04 AM
NEW GUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian4d View Post
Who? I think he michaels explained it to a tee. Chevy thought why mess up a good thing and cut two cylinders off the block to fit into the S-10's Blazers, Jimmy's and whatnot....

Actually it will fit even if they didnt have the 2 cylinders cut off. Before I got in running Mustangs in Quick 10.5 . I had a 87 S-10 blazer with a 355 in it . On the motor it ran in the 10.80's on a drag radials

94 DISCO 1

post #41 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 06:19 AM
Beach Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY ROVER View Post
Actually it will fit even if they didnt have the 2 cylinders cut off. Before I got in running Mustangs in Quick 10.5 . I had a 87 S-10 blazer with a 355 in it . On the motor it ran in the 10.80's on a drag radials
Good to know, I guess they thought the s-10's didn't need the power of the 350...
post #42 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 07:51 AM

Back on topic. Nice conversion. Id be ginger on the trans though..that is a lot of HP for that box. id venture the tbox is fine. Axles well we all now they wont handle it, even Aftermarket rover ones so that will probably be your next need if you wheel it at all. Cool work. Gordo.

Gordo

00 P38 4.6 blinging
siia hybrid, nissandiesel, LT95,37 boggers, etc
post #43 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Axles are my next investment. I'm hoping the tranny will hold up, if not I have a 700r4 to put in, but that is going to be a lot of work.

Last edited by sturg38; 08-31-2009 at 11:52 AM.
post #44 of 166 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 07:13 AM

Would the 700R4 really be a lot of work? I figure the GM trans would be easier. Advance Adapters makes an adapter to go from the 700R4 to the LT230 tcase. That way you're not messing with engine adapter plate or adapting the torque converter.

post #45 of 166 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 07:28 PM
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.

350 in a Disco? I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. Thats just one step away from owning a Jeep. A Land Rover is a Land rover.NOT a GM product. I understand the desire for more reliability but jesus......thats just slight butchery right there. Sorry. I guess I'm a purest.

98' Disco 4.0
89' RRC 3.9
82' 109 2.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rovers Only General Forums > Show it off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.