1999 range rover dead battery, now the key is stuck in the ignition - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default 1999 range rover dead battery, now the key is stuck in the ignition

I have a '99 Range Rover, battery died, I'm charging it with my battery charger... I let it charge for an hour, then removed everything and tried to start it. Not enough juice to start, tried to remove key and now it won't budge, it won't come out!! ahhhh!! I'm charging it again but I can't leave it like that. How do I remove the key?
Thanks!
my_tricia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Shift it in to N, then back into P, slam it if you have to.

It may not be triggering the release switch (there is a term for this switch that escapes me at the moment). It may be a bad switch.
Takemynamedamit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemynamedamit View Post
Shift it in to N, then back into P, slam it if you have to.

It may not be triggering the release switch (there is a term for this switch that escapes me at the moment). It may be a bad switch.
Transmission position switch, or XYZ switch. Very common and damned expensive.

Why did the battery die?

260-804-0458

Dominic Perodeau/Global British is a thieving bastard, do not send him money.
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

In December when I tried to start it, then realized it was dead, the key came out fine...
I haven't even done anything until I charged it and then tried to start it. Won't move out of park, period, tried to 'press brake pedal, turn the key, shift out of park'. No results.

I still have to replace the battery, but was advised that it was probably the lock solenoid that was engaged as I turned to start the Range Rover and that since it died WHILE the key was in the 2 position, that it 'locked' my key into the ignition barrel. It should be resolved when I charge the battery... or replace it as it will reset. This made sense to me. I don't know. Hoping to get to it this weekend, but also determined that the battery cable nuts are reeeeaaly tight and couldn't get them to budge on Sunday to remove the battery for testing.

Battery died to non use. This is my other vehicle and just hadn't driven it in awhile. I miss it though, but have been intimidated to charge the battery because of the security system.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Buy a new battery and replace it, as per my instructions 2 months ago. The old battery was stone dead and would not accept a proper charge. You'll get the key out once you have full voltage to the system and fiddle with the fob a bit. Remember to hold the damn bonnet switch down when you connect the negative terminal and have someone in the truck in the event it locks.
osiristheclown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

I did!! I did everything even though i was on pins and needles !!! I had the bonnet/hood closed (I looked for the bonnet switch ) when I tried to start it and the alarm still sounded (?) and then of course now the key is in the ignition barrel. I have no problem changing out the battery but in addition to the key being stuck, the battery cables won't budge, the nuts are super tight. Is there a product that I can purchase to ease them up a bit?
Old 03-03-2010, 02:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by osiristheclown View Post
have someone in the truck in the event it locks.
What if it goes into it's super lock down mode and they get deadbolted in? (hey, it's a Rover, it hates you)

Lucky for you the leaks in some cases are so large, a person can escape if need be.

Be careful with the battery terminals though. We swapped out batteries not too long ago (via jumper method) and ended up breaking both terminals (which were heavily corroded). It felt like a bit of surgery getting everything put back together while keeping the car "alive". We ended up fabricating something that will hold, at least till it needs another battery in 2019 or so.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

This is yet another example of how Land Rover drove people away from their products. What sor tof masochist will stay with a marque when they've had a P38?

On-board battery chargers are absolutely necessary with P38s if they aren't driven regularly. After the second time of locking the keys into a P38, I now only change batteries with a door open. Also, be very careful when changing batteries on P38s, I've replaced several BeCMs due to problems that occurred during battery swaps.

As for how to remove the cables, lots of Kroil, PB blaster, liquid wrench, etc and then, there are tiny little two-jaw pullers that work well in these situations. Plan to replace the cables as they may be corroded inside where you can't see it.

260-804-0458

Dominic Perodeau/Global British is a thieving bastard, do not send him money.
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Sooo I got the Range Rover up and running, apparently need to do EKA first, with the code, etc. Sounds beeeeeautiful )))))))

The key did come out, but when I drove around to get the battery charged, the key is now stuck..... again.... Grrrrrrrr...

Electrical? Also was able to reset every window 'cept the driver front.... hmmmm?
Old 03-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ok, so I kept trying to set the driver's side window and [I]finally[I] was able to do it. The key came out!!!! yaaaaaa !~ However, the display still says that the key is in the ignition...... what? This must be electrical..... ?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

could just be bad ignition switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover P38, Mk III and Range Rover Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.