2003 range rover transmission overheat code - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default 2003 range rover transmission overheat code

2003 range rover transmission overheat code is coming on anyone have this problem seem to shift funny high rpms and seemlike it wont shift into third?????????
7caratkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 04:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Former LR tech, Albany NY

needs a new radiator, the bottom of the radiator gets stuffed by the bad coolant and it stuffs the transmission.

change it now or else it takes the transmission with it.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi,

I have similar problem after driving for a while the revs go up as the gearbox does not seem to like changing up and also when you let go of the accelerator the car pulls you back as if it had been dropped in to a lower gear in conjunction with "transmission overheat" displayed on the dash.

I have read on another forum to check the gearbox oil level. Would changing the gearbox oil be a sensible thing to try first?

given the symptoms mentioned above can we presume it is not a sensor problem?

Is the radiator you speak of specially for cooling the gearbox and can it not just be flushed out?

how much is this going to cost me if I do need the radiator changing?

Thanks in advance
Gary
gary2511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2008, 05:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Former LR tech, Albany NY

its themain radiator, open up the spigot at the bottom and check to see how much comes out, if little does its stuff.

the bottom eight control the transmission. the level does nothing unless you have some parts changed on it or a leak. I would be the radiator first though.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default question on overheating transmission code on rage rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovin4life View Post
its themain radiator, open up the spigot at the bottom and check to see how much comes out, if little does its stuff.

the bottom eight control the transmission. the level does nothing unless you have some parts changed on it or a leak. I would be the radiator first though.
My question is if the spigot is the drain cork of the radiator and when i open it is coolant supposed to come out. Exactly what is the bottom eight?
homieracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default transmission slipping after driving awhile

I am currently experiencing the same problem whith my 2003 RR 83k miles my transmission is slipping after i have been driving 5 minutes or so then into Trans Failsafe Prog, im wanting to know if anyone figured out what was wrong with their trans. the dealer didn't have any explanation other than i need a transmission, i personally i think thay are tryn bend me over again, thay got me this time last year on a new engine for my RR at $18,000 after my RR engine overheated, now my trans is overheating..... Please Help
Thanx,
Brett
Yachtracerbf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default Transmission Overheat

My truck keeps saying transmission overheat. It isn't shifting properly either. Brought it in to the dealer and they are saying it is the upper hose on the radiator. Also suggested that I have the trans fluid flushed.
My Question is....Is it really the hose or is it actually the radiator???
They are telling me the hose alone is going to cost $425.00 with part and labor. Funny thing is, I found that part on website for $62.00

Last edited by Princess Range; 12-19-2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Question
Princess Range is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
NIM

Sound like you went to the dealer in thornhill ha ha ha ha . for that priceha ha ha ,check and see if you get a engine code for a thermostat sensor fault rovin4life is right it is the radiator.
NIM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

A dealer replaced my radiator less than 5000 miles ago, now I am getting the same transmission overheat warning/auto revving problem after driving 5 minutes.

Should this be happening so soon? Is replacing the radiator the only fix?

Thanks
Scott Sadler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

I am experiencing exact same occurance. was told "new new trans" ... almost $6k. i don't trust the dealer at all. They say "repair not possible w/ RR's, access not 'allowed' (?), must get new transmission". Can this be true?
bigcityfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

The bottom eights rows of the radiator are the trans cooler, He means if little coolant comes out it is probably clogged, You can try cleaning it out but this "stuff" may also be clogging the transmission cooler lines. So a trans flush may be in order.
Powerstroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

I had a BMW 540 which had (almost) same engine as the RR and an earlier transimission. I could feel the heat from the transimission when I rested my arm on the console/arm rest. After 30 minutes of driving the transmission acted up and the car became miserable to drive. Eventually, I read about LUBEGARD additive. I had it put in and it did the trick! I could feel that there was less heat transfer and shifting returned to normal. I would put Lubegard in every car as I believe their claim that it reduces operating temp and extends the life of the trans.
Miner49er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #14 (permalink)

Default Has anyone solved this yet?

I am dying over here! The same thing is happening to me and I just got a new transmission. Someone please help me. If you could email me at keenanj527@gmail.com I would greatly appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7caratkid View Post
2003 range rover transmission overheat code is coming on anyone have this problem seem to shift funny high rpms and seemlike it wont shift into third?????????
redcarpetworcester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

For everyone who's experiencing the "transmission overheating issue". I had the similar problem, it also happen to my 04 RR at about 80k. It came out to be the radiator which had a small crack towards the upper corner, plus the fact that there was no circulation off the coolant throughout the rad and other components, which was causing the transmission to overheat. I called around numerous places including the LR Dealer, but they wanted close to $700 - $800.+ US Dollars for the radiator by itself. I actually ended up finding a seller in Europe and he sold it to me for a total of $325 US dollars including shipping. I also purchased the radiator hose and smaller hoses separately from someone else, during the 10days of shipping from the time of purchase of the radiator. With the help of my bro-n-law, we simply flushed out the coolant, disconected the hoses, and simply manage to push upward the radiator and slide it out. My 04 RR is running great now and that message has not appeared on my dashboard ever since. I'm at 115k now and still rovin... Hope this helps out. Good luck.
NhudeST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover P38, Mk III and Range Rover Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.