Argh! P38 steering wheel won't tilt! - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
98 Disco I and 00 RR H&H

Gallery: 0
Default Argh! P38 steering wheel won't tilt!

HELP!

I was attempting to reach the driver's side blend motor via the binnacle removal process and I tilted the steering wheel down. Now it won't tilt back up! The wheel will telescope in/out just fine but the tilt is stuck FULL DOWN! I can't get it to release no matter what I do. Can anyone help! PLEASE!

As for the blend motor, I tried to get into the area but will need to remove the entire instrument cluster PLUS the bracket on the right that holds it into the dash in order to gain access. Unfortunately for me, the motor I purchased as a replacement and that was listed explicitly for my year doesn't look anything like the one in my Rover! I won't know for sure until I get everything apart but right now I can't move the steering wheel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Larry
llesniak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
98 Disco I and 00 RR H&H

Default Can't anyone help me? PLEASE?!?

I still can't get the wheel unstuck from full down tilt. What's more, I can't even get the cover off the steering column. I've removed what I believe are ALL of the screws from the underside of the plastic cover but it still won't come off. Does anyone know where the tilt pivot point is? Does anyone have a diagram of the lever and its connection to the steering column/wheel?

My Rover is not drivable until I get this fixed.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
98 Disco I and 00 RR H&H

Default I figured it out!

The lever for tilt and telescope works in two ways. Pulling it out pulls a cable tight that controls the telescope and pulling it toward the steering wheel rim releases the tilt mechanism. The telescope lock is along the steering column under the dash but the tilt is much closer to the wheel, underneath the plastic cover behind the steering wheel. In my case, the end of the tilt/telescope lever, which is tubular, had broken so that it no longer exerted any leverage on the tilt mechanism. I was able to tilt the wheel back up by gently prying on a small arm on the left side of the steering column. I suppose I'll need to find a new lever now if I ever want to tilt the wheel but for now I'm back in business!

Now if only I could get that (*@#&$ blend motor out! The duct to the rear seat heat vent is in the way so I guess I'll just follow the instructions found on another site and cut it out now to reach the motor and patch it back in when I'm done.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a 99 RR .. my tilt is stuck and wont budge. It was working fine than all of a sudden it got stuck. please help. thanks
jediaz50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

my tilt is stuck on low position? what do you suggest. I have a 99 RR
jediaz50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
98 Disco I and 00 RR H&H

Default Untilt is possible!

Hey! Sorry to hear you've run into the same problem I did with my RR. I haven't made any permanent fix but you can get the wheel tilted back up and out of the way. As I noted in my earlier post, you need to remove the plastic cover from the bottom of the steering column. If you look on the left side you'll see where the tilt/telescope lever runs down the lower left corner of the column. It appears to be a tubular affair with a cable running inside to activate the telescope lock which is much lower on the column. The tilt is controlled by pulling the lever toward the wheel rim which levers the tubular part outward to unlock the mechanism (this is easier to see than explain but I don't have any photos... sorry!). You'll probably find that your tube is bent out or split so that it doesn't exert force on the lock when you move it toward the wheel rim.

The way I solved the problem for now was to insert a long screwdriver between the tube and the steering column then pry out gently to release the lock. Lift up on the wheel to tilt to the position that works for you (I put it full up!) then remove the screwdriver to lock. BE SURE TO CHECK THAT IT'S FULLY LOCKED! That should do it!

I think the only permanent fix will be to replace the tilt/telescope lever or possibly to put a new tube in place on the existing lever so it exerts force on the tilt lock.

Good luck to you with the fix and post back to let us know how it turned out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover P38, Mk III and Range Rover Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.