Gearbox fault, I've tried EVERYTHING! HELP!!! - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Gearbox fault, I've tried EVERYTHING! HELP!!!

Ok 95 Range Rover 4.0 P38... I turn the key, without starting, and immediately have a gearbox fault message. I have tried a new battery and different alternator, when I turn it over it drops to 11.3-11.5 and quickly ramps to 13.7-14.1 once it has started. Put it in drive and it shifts at 2200 RPMs in every gear, yes I have access to all gears, I can put it in 1st and hold the gear but it doesn't have as much power still. The check engine light is on thinking it is the o2 sensors... I have checked the MAF and TPS sensors by replacing them and the seem to be working. When I'm coming to a stop it down shifts HARD into 2nd and 1st. Any grounds that you know of that I should check would be awesome or if you think it's the ECU... I'm trying to avoid taking it somewhere just so they can give me and bill and still have a car with a problem.... Thanks for all the help!!!
NewbieRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chicago where body armor is needed for a day in the park

Have you actually pulled the codes to see what the truck is telling you?

Need Parts?

www.lucky8llc.biz (716) 898-8153

PT Schram pt@ptschram.com

paulgrant@gmail.com

http://lucky8llc.com/L8Forum/index.php

1983 Land Rover 110 5 door wagon

1972 MGB
ArmyRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

I didn't think my car had OBDII and thus I have no idea how to retrieve the codes. I take it that a dealer has to do it?
NewbieRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post your location, as we are not mind readers and have no idea where you are located at..
The OBD plug is in the passenger footwell (NAS spec LHD).
Go to a parts store and have them read the codes for you.
Post the results.

Martin
leftlanetrucking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

pull your codes.

mine was starting to do the same thing. it ended up being the crankposition sensor. the part was $75 and only took about a hour to swap out. my hands are to fat to get into it easily. once i swapped it out, all my problems went away.
getlost4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 06:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

While one should certainly investigate the easy and cheap OBD-II scanner responses, if this turns out to be a transmission/controller problem, you'll need to take it to someone with a Rover-specific diag computer.

The most common cause for the fault you have is electrical-related. It will be interesting to find out what the issue is here.

260-804-0458

Dominic Perodeau/Global British is a thieving bastard, do not send him money.
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Why dont you just check and drain the transmission fluid? Draining the transmission is as easy as changing the oil on our trucks.. May not take away the codes but probably will help with the rough shifts. The bolt is on the bottom of the transmission. Once you got it all out, make sure you use a strong thread locker to keep the fluid from leaking out when you drive.
00'-02' painted OEM front bumper and dual exhaust, tinted signals all around, black suede interior accents, factory subwoofer swapped to a 15" JL Audio Bilstein Shocks and Eibach Spring conversion, RR Sport 20" Stormer Wheels

96' RR 4.0SE
Tinted signals all around, black suede interior accents, coil spring conversion

98' Volvo C70 HPT
PIAA headlights, clear corners & eyelids
98NiagaraRR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Chicago where body armor is needed for a day in the park

probably since he hasn't been back since the last time he posted.

Need Parts?

www.lucky8llc.biz (716) 898-8153

PT Schram pt@ptschram.com

paulgrant@gmail.com

http://lucky8llc.com/L8Forum/index.php

1983 Land Rover 110 5 door wagon

1972 MGB
ArmyRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 05:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

I was having the same issues, and my tach was dropping to 0 which led me to thinking it was a voltage-related issue. I replaced the alternator, battery, and both battery cables, mainly because they were all in need of replacement. That fixed the tach and other minor problems, but not the gearbox fault message.

It turns out that the transmission wiring harness clip, close to the bell housing, had broke. As a result, one of the fine gauge wires in the transmission harness was making contact with the spinning driveshaft which resulted in the wire becoming severed. I soldered the wire back together and relocated the harness - the fault went rite away.

Also check the transmission and transfer case ECU's. Hope this helps.

-Mark
dayjavuu78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thumbs up

When i meet such prolbem,i will find my car engineer or other person for help.
i know one engineer at www.obdiichina.com is very professional in solving car problem,he help me much,maybe you can find him!
This is only my suggusetion!
Cicily2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover P38, Mk III and Range Rover Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.