A rookie attempts to change transfer case chain - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default A rookie attempts to change transfer case chain

Help!

I own a 97 Range Rover p38. Recently it has developed a clunk clunk sound that occurs on acceration. At normal speed there is no sound. I have searched the help blogs and figure that it is the transfer case chain hitting the walls of the case. It has the Borg Warner transfer case on it. I have decided to have a go at the repair myself. I have jumped off the edge and ordered the hy-vo chain that is OEM replacement.
My question is: As a reasonably talented non-mechanic with all the tools to do the job, am I biting off more then I can chew? It appears to be a straight forward R & R on the transfer case, and then on into the case itself. I have been told that its not hard to find your way around the inside of the case and make the actual chain replacement. I am interested in hearing from anyone who has done this operation about the difficulty of the task, and where I might find any supportive blogs, diagrams, or other information.

Thanks in advance
skipbrakes!
skipbrakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Gallery: 0

I took mine apart to replace the chain. I didn't quite replace it, but it was very easy to access, and I did pull it off to look at it. I found a replacement case, so my original is just sitting waiting for a chain. It was easy to open the case up.I did pay to have the old case removed and swapped with my new one. Taking it out of the car may be the most difficult part.
jrandsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover P38, Mk III and Range Rover Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.