Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

03 with 04 Transfer Case?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  sierrafery 
#1 ·
I was wondering if someone could help clarify something for me..

I have a 2003 DII and it has some transfer case problems. The previous owner included a transfer case out of a 2004 that he didn't put in yet.

What are my options for fitting the 2004 properly in the '03....wasn't there some difference with CDL and such? Do I need extra parts from an earlier Rover, or from an 04...?

Is there anything else worth doing to the 04 case before fitting... All I know is it's a "good used" transfer case... that worries me a bit, as I don't want to just throw it in and hope it works.

Any tips?

Thanks,
Pete

#2 ·
Should bolt right in without any problems.
Yes an 04 t case would have c.d.l. But that is all internal. To operate the c.d.l. You will require a 04 or aftermarket c.d.l. ShIfter. A d.1 shifter is also an option but more work.
If you don't want to work the c.d.l. Or want to just get the transfer case in and confirm all is good, you can always do the shifter stuff at a later date.
I pulled the t case out of my old 2000 d2 before I let it go, took me about an hour and a half working on a hoist.
Do able on your back but would not be to much fun. Heavy piece.

#3 ·
Hi, if i was you i'd buy a master rebuild kit and fit it into the spare just to be on the safe side cos in one old unused transfer box it's possible that the seals are stiffened and they'll start to leak once exposed to heat and oil pressure and i'm sure that the center diff dome washers are completely worn as well.

see maybe you find one like this closer to you Land Rover LT230 Transfer Box Master Rebuild Kit | eBay

#4 ·
Thanks everyone - appreciate the info...will look into the rebuild kit.

On the CDL/Shfiter, what's exactly involved in it? (What do I need to look for, that I don't have..is it purely parts I need to source, or does it require any modifications?

Thanks,
Pete

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.