03 Discovery Check Engine Light On - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ghost Face Killa

Gallery: 0
Default 03 Discovery Check Engine Light On

Check engine light comes on and goes off. Last time stayed on longer. Feels like slightly rough idle and fuel economy has decreased. Rover has 64k on it. Dealer said stored code for downstream O2 sensor but also said number 6 misfire. I changed the plugs but not wires. Light came back on. Going to take it in and have them shoot the codes again. Got wires on the way but it looks like hell to put on. Plugs were a pain alone. Not like the 84 Blazer. I've got a warranty that covers O2 sensors. Since I've got a valve cover gasket leak I'll just have them change that under warranty and while the intake manifold is off put on the wires. Any advice?
kkahao1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Go get your codes read from your local auto parts store then get back to us.
Mike
Disco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ghost Face Killa

Default Local auto parts

Will autozone shoot the codes for free? Will their reader pick it up? Got a guy with a brand new 5k reader, maybe I should go to him?
Old 05-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
'00 DII Member

Autozone will let you use there reader for free. Just stop by and get the exact codes, let us know what you've got
auwesman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2008, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ghost Face Killa

Default Codes

Got a P0455 Evap Emission Control Leak?

By the way do you have to take the intake manifold off to change the wires?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

I can't imagine why a 445 would cause you some rough idle/running issues.
As for the plug wire installation, no, you don't have to remove the manifold. It is a hard job, but some 3 or 4 hours later, you will have saved $400 to $500 in labor.
Shout and I will see if I can find a link to insatlling the wires on an engine with Secondary Air.
Mike
Old 05-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ghost Face Killa

Default 455 Shout

Mike, I'm shouting! Its a 455, not 445. I think 445 is a slight leak where 455 is a greater leak. However, I humbly bow to the expert. Idle is not necessarily rough as when you disconnect a wire and run on 7 instead of 8. I think its just a combo of old plugs and worn wires etc.

Any ideas as to a gas cap? Saw Roverland parts has them for $25 maybe I'll just check a Stant website. Rover is great when running w/out problems. Just bugs me with all the little stuff (glove box has vibration, window regulator pops, etc.)

Checked previous service records and the #6 had a misfire at about 30k, I bought it with 42k. Wire showed open loop and they replaced. I'm wondering if that old code would show up when I had the codes run previously. Land Rover Dealer ran them so maybe their reader would show old stored codes. Also, had a transmission problem, thought I needed a new tranny but, after disconnecting the computer and reconnecting she got herself straight.

Steering wheel is slightly crooked. I noticed after I had a lower ball joint replaced. Would I have to disconnect steering shaft and reinsert?

How complicated is it to lift her? Only looking for an inch or two or really just to level out the front end.

Any idea as to the length of time the stock shocks and springs last? It doesn't get worked hard but, last hunting season my rear drive shaft came off my blazer and U-joint blew up when it hit the ground. Never had time to change so I rover'ed in the woods about 4 days a week. Wife was pissed at all the scratches. I told her sometimes you gotta charge it to the game.

Any other thoughts, ideas or insight are appreciated. My personal email is kriskahao@gmail.com

Sorry for being long winded, trying to avoid studying for the bar exam.

Thanks, Kris Kahao
Old 05-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

That was a misprint on my part, still, this won't cause any of the issues you are experiencing.
# 6 is a common misfire on a D2. I would suggest that although the mileage is low, I would switch out the plugs and wires, using the 8 mm Magnacor wires. You may at some point want to decarbon the engine, do you run 91 plus octane?
Go to a good alignement shop that works with 4wheelers have them check the toe setting and then recenter the steering wheel.
At your mileage, your shocks are shot and your springs may have settled as much as an inch or more, pretty normal. Your steering stabilizer should also be replace using Old Man Emus shock and coils.
Also have someone inspect the front u-joints on the front drive shaft, if the 2 u-joints in the rear double cardon have no grease fittings, get it rebuilt before it drops, causing your tranny to be distroyed.
Mike
Old 05-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ghost Face Killa

Default Decarbon?

Had u-joints checked. All good. Anyway if they go bad u-joints and tranny are all under warranty. Got a 4 year unlimited mileage. Covers most major parts. No, I never run premium. I figured with a 9.5 to 1 I could run regular. Exactly what do you mean by decarbon? Plugs are changed, did them 3 days ago. Got a set of STI wires on the way. Just noticed they say for screw on terminals. What the hell does that mean? I'm no mechanic nor am I a complete novice but I've never changed a set of wires that screwed on. Maybe I've got the wrong thing coming.

As for the OME, do they just make stock replacement coils and shocks or with a lift kit only? And if so, who carries them?

Last edited by kkahao1; 05-23-2008 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Left stuff out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.