2003 replacing spark plug wires WTF??? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default 2003 replacing spark plug wires WTF???

It's been a few years since I did the heads and had everything off. I have to do wires and I personally want to find the engineer who dreampt up this bull shit arrangement and kick him square in the nuts.... Got the SA rear cross pipe out after ten minutes of the chineese puzzle of removing it and now if I were a 5 year old I'd have small enough hands to get the wires off and back on the coil packs...Time to...... "make a tool".... I love these trucks, but I swear there was heavy drinking involved during the design...D1 wires take ten minutes...This is easily going to be a 3 hour project by the time it is done...
1996 Disco XD 1996 Trek #4 and Camel Trophy Team USA Selections 1997
2003 Disco SE7 expedition prepped
1998 Disco LSE 7 50th Anniversary Baluga Black
1987 Defender 110 300tdi/R380
1969 Series 2A 109
Pacific Coast Rover Club
Redmond, Washington

Last edited by saharatj98; 04-14-2012 at 10:43 PM.
saharatj98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
2004 Discovery SE

saharatj98, No, you've got it all wrong. There was a lot of engineering in mounting the coils behind the air plenum. Their thought process was that you'll need to replace plug wires prior to doing the headgaskets. So in order to acclimate yourself with working on the engine, they figured that removing the air plenum to replace the plug wires is a good start, so that when you have to eventually do the headgaskets, you'll at least have some experience with the top end of the manifold. LOL. Just take the air plenum off. By the time you monkey around with removing the SA pipe and make a tool, you could have removed the plenum....................007

1964 Chevy Impala/ sold
1968 Chevy Camaro RS/ sold
1967 Jeepster Commando/ sold
1968 Jeepster Commando/ sold
1969 Jeepster Commando/ sold
1970 Jeepster Commando/ sold
1974 J20 Jeep Pickup sold
1982 J20 Jeep Pickup sold
1971 350 SL/ 4 speed stick/ sold
1979 300 CD/ sold
1979 450 SL sold
1985 300 D/ sold
1989 560 SL/ sold
1996 Isuzu Hombre/ sold
1994 E320 Wagon/ sold
1995 SL500/ 46,000 miles/ sold
2004 Land Rover Discovery SE sold
2009 SL550 Silver Arrow Edition 22,000 miles
007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saharatj98 View Post
It's been a few years since I did the heads and had everything off. I have to do wires and I personally want to find the engineer who dreampt up this bull shit arrangement and kick him square in the nuts.... Got the SA rear cross pipe out after ten minutes of the chineese puzzle of removing it and now if I were a 5 year old I'd have small enough hands to get the wires off and back on the coil packs...Time to...... "make a tool".... I love these trucks, but I swear there was heavy drinking involved during the design...D1 wires take ten minutes...This is easily going to be a 3 hour project by the time it is done...
I am with you. The designer of these things must have led a very tortured life and wanted to pass the favor along. Wait until you remove the TC. It has to be partialy disassembled in place so that it will slide by the trans shaft.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
disco biscuit

After advice from someone here, I removed two engine mount bolts and lowered it. Purdy quick and decent room considering.
disco biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 12:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ya, it's the stupid stuff that gets me. Take ten things apart to get to one thing. If any of these things had been designed just a little different there would be no problem at all... Like the coil packs, by the time you remove the SA pipe from the back, the 6 bolts for the coil pack that also conveniently attach to the top and bottom of the manifold plus the block, the heater hoses mounted to the manifold ect. Then the coil packs will barely squeeze out with the right wizardry due to the A/C piping, shape of the firewall and the fuel rail pressure relief valve stem... PS pump is the same crap, They use a stud that goes into the head, well, it's just long enough to keep you from sliding the pump off with the clutch fan on... The pressure hose is my favorite, up and under the radiator between the condenser... You have to disassemble half the front of the truck to wiggle it out... A little thought as to the bends and places to use flex line would have made it a non issue...... I think the plan was to make these things as frustrating as possible to work on so people touch them once and then say forget it and pay a king's ransom to have some other guy deal with it... There are tricks you learn, but what a joke...
1996 Disco XD 1996 Trek #4 and Camel Trophy Team USA Selections 1997
2003 Disco SE7 expedition prepped
1998 Disco LSE 7 50th Anniversary Baluga Black
1987 Defender 110 300tdi/R380
1969 Series 2A 109
Pacific Coast Rover Club
Redmond, Washington
saharatj98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 04:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
disco biscuit

Your right. I considered moving the coil packs when I refreshed the ignition. But you compromise the wire routing which is pretty good. I agree alot of placement sucks on this vehicle but that all comes from stuffing a v8 in a platform slightly bigger than a suzuki samurai. This things 20 times easier to work on that that jap crap.

I agree the placement sux on some things but I actually like doin my own work to this one. Hell my powerstrokes way harder to work on. I pulled the oil pan off pretty easy on the disco.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
And I didn't even submit a proposal...

I agree placement is less than optimal, but at least not every bolt and nut is frozen solid because of rust like on domestic vehicles...
Old 04-18-2012, 05:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco biscuit View Post
Your right. I considered moving the coil packs when I refreshed the ignition. But you compromise the wire routing which is pretty good. I agree alot of placement sucks on this vehicle but that all comes from stuffing a v8 in a platform slightly bigger than a suzuki samurai. This things 20 times easier to work on that that jap crap.

I agree the placement sux on some things but I actually like doin my own work to this one. Hell my powerstrokes way harder to work on. I pulled the oil pan off pretty easy on the disco.
I heard tale of that 7.3 power stroke oil pan. You have to drop the whole front end and transmision to pull out the pan that always rusts out because of poor metal. But, in that case it was a fluke on one model that had bad material.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
disco biscuit

I checked mine and the bottom end while I was there. Did during a five speed swap. Most parts on that thing were hard to deal with. The fuel pump had a banjo bolt on it under the turbo. Had to build a backwards ratchet thingy tool to reach it. Took about three days. Made me mad enough to buy a almost new chevy to drive every day. Nah this rovers a joy to work on in comparison. Heres a pic of the ratchet and bolt in place finally. You can hardly see the tool I made its so far under there
Attached Thumbnails
2003 replacing spark plug wires WTF???-uploadfromtaptalk1334761297802.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.