Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

50 maintenance

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Disco Mike 
#1 ·
My Truck (03 Disco SE) hit 50,000 today and I am wondering if there is anything special I need to do to it other than change the oil? I know alot of people put swivel housing grease on is this something I should do at 50k? Thanks for the help. p.s. I have yet to figure out how to change the oil without making a huge mess. Everytime I take off the oil filter I get covered in oil lol. Is there a way to remove the oil filter without so much oil leaking out?

#3 ·
What are some other simply things I can do to help maintain the truck? I already know I need to replace the brake pads. They are squealing like crazy when i'm coming to a slow stop or making a sharp turn with the brakes applied.

#4 ·
If the brakes are squealing do them before they turn on your ABS warning lights. Did you have the dealer do the 45K?
How mechanical are you and how much money do you want to save?
Mike

#5 ·
Yea I did have everything checked out at the 45k service and all checked out okay. The measurements of my pads are fine also but they continue to squeal which is driving me crazy. As far as saving money goes I dont' want to have to step foot into the dealership unless its a major problem. I am not very mechanical but I want to learn and I'm not scared to do things. What cha got in mind?

#6 ·
If you only had things checked out and nothing was replaced, someone didn't follow the manual.
You should have had your serpentine belt replaced and most likely the tensioner and pulley, which are both known to fail and have had some recalls over the years.
Did anyone check the front drive shaft, double cardon, to see if it has grease fittings, if it doesn't you should replace them ASAP, they fail and usually tke the tranny with them.
Might want to check out the manual and read up on some of our Rovers quirks, it will save you money in the long run.
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.