Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Best place to buy a Disco II in the Southeast?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  tyl604 
#1 ·
Hi all,

It's been awhile since I've posted. I've lusted after a Disco since I saw one in 1994 or 1995 (I was 7 or 8). When the Series II hit the streets, I was even more enamored with them. Right as I got my license, the '04s appeared with the Aero Rails and Trail packages; I contemplated robbing a bank to get one.

Being a rational person, I've fought the urge for years, knowing a Discovery for a DD was a terrible decision. After college, I even bought a LR2 thinking it would satisfy the LR hunger, but provide the Volvo reliability I was accustomed to. Boy... was I wrong! $14K in repairs in 6 months before it even hit 45K miles. This was all under warranty of course, but it basically soured me on any LR product.

Fast forward to now and I've got a perfectly dependable '13 Toyota Tacoma - I enjoy the truck, but it's an appliance; there is no emotion to it. So much so, that I saw a '03 Disco SE in Java Black Pearl the other day and about wrecked the poor Taco. This is when I became ill again with Disco Fever.

My Tacoma will remain my DD, but I've decided to take the plunge and finally buy a Disco for a weekender and something to tinker with. Despite their many faults, nothing has ever caught my eye quite like a Discovery. I'm well aware of all the common problems and understand that this will become a money pit, but I'm 28, single, mechanically inclined, and have no kids, so whatever. I'll be strictly looking for 2004 Disco SE or HSE in good shape with <120K miles. I fully understand that I'll more than likely be buying something that will need some repairs, but ideally, I don't want to deal with head gaskets or a new engine in the first year or so.

With all that said, can anyone recommend a dealer in the Southeast that specializes in LR sales? I know Bear Valley in GA used to, but they don't seem to be in business anymore.

Thanks!

-Chad

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi all,

With all that said, can anyone recommend a dealer in the Southeast that specializes in LR sales? I know Bear Valley in GA used to, but they don't seem to be in business anymore.

Thanks!

-Chad
I bought mine a few months ago from a man in Wilmington, NC who buys mechanically challenged discos and RR's, repairs them, then sells them. I'll PM you the details as soon as I find them. I believe I have them in my truck, but it is not nearby at the moment. I'll get it to you in a day or so.

#3 ·
My recommendation would be to get a well cared for private party truck. Then have it checked out by a reputable INDY shop. Might take some time, but will save you many headaches in the future.
Potential problem with buying from a buyer/fixer is that they need to make the maximum profit from each sale. This often necessitates doing the bare minimum just to get it off the lot. Cheap parts, steam cleaning engine compartment/chassis to hide leaks, no service records, etc...
Regardless of how "mechanically inclined" you are, the whole idea of owning a vehicle is to drive it. Start putting huge amounts of time and money into it and your love affair will sour quickly.

#4 ·
You might find a good one in Atlanta. They were absolutely the rage a few years ago and were just used for driving around the city - no off roading. Now people have moved on. So they should be around here and very lightly used. I have had four and still have a 99 DII which is currently my daily driver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.