Broken Key, Alarm LED flashing, Can't Turn Ignition - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Broken Key, Alarm LED flashing, Can't Turn Ignition

I have a 2004 Landrover Discovery II. Our remote hasn't worked for several months and last week my wife broke off the key turning the lock in the door. I had a locksmith come out and get the broken part out and called the dealer, 900 miles away, and got the key code.

I read up and it at least appears that the 2004 did not have a "chipped" key.

When the locksmith was testing the key in the door lock he set off the alarm. He turned it up but the flashing led light for the alarm is still blinking and I cannot turn the ignition. I used the key to unlock the doors several times and I could not get the LED off.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am guessing that the alarm disabled the igniton and I am not sure to bypass that without the remote? Can anyone confirm that the 2004 key is not chipped? Your help is greatly appreciated as my vehicle has been parked 20 miles away in a shopping center since thursday.

Thanks!
rmcrosby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

disconnect the battery...or fix the alarm pad
03discoveryrover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

So from what you have written you have a new key that works in the doors and goes into the ignition (and physically turns) but the engine will not start?

The red light on the dash may be blinking really fast, if so i think this is to show the alarm was set off. this should go out when you turn on the ignition.

IF your OLD key is chipped you should just be able to hold the OLD key up very close to the new key when inserted into the ignition and the senor in the column should read the chip from the OLD key, so when you turn the new key in the ignition the car should start.

again this is bases on assumption that you have a physical key that will work the locks now.

Dave
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.