Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

CB Radio Install Help Please :)

16K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  DiscoDream2 
#1 ·
Can I get some good advice on where to mount my new CB radio (Cobra) and how to wire it into my car? Its a easy topic I know but I'm young and looking to do this myself.

THanks Alot

#3 ·
you can mount it on the kick panel where your left knee is, put it so the bracket is just below the screw so you can acess the fueses. you can either strait wire it to the battery through a boot that is right there through the firewall of you can attatch it through the fuse block. you can then run the coax behind the panel where you left foot is below the plastic door sill up the piller where the seatbelt is out the top of the door.

#5 ·
I would highly recommend that you get it wired straight up to the battery/fuse block to don't cause any electrical issues in the cab and keep you outside noise down.
As for mounting the unit, I mounted mine to the back side of my console, another good place is up by the sun roof switches so it is over head, easy to hear and hang your mike on a clip or bungie cord.
What kind of antenna will you be using and where were you planning on mounting your antenna?

#6 ·
I like the idea of mounting it by the sunroof switches, but my units pretty large and the wires would hit the switches there unless i drilled into the panel. i plan on using a 4ft magnetic antenna with a 10ft coax cable. If i wire the red wire to the battery, where do i ground the black one to?

#15 ·
If you are still looking at options, I can tell you how we did my roof mount.
Send me your number and I'll call you.

#10 ·
you can mount it on the kick panel where your left knee is, put it so the bracket is just below the screw so you can acess the fueses. you can either strait wire it to the battery through a boot that is right there through the firewall of you can attatch it through the fuse block. you can then run the coax behind the panel where you left foot is below the plastic door sill up the piller where the seatbelt is out the top of the door.
I did this and it works perfectly. Wired it straight up to the battery and ran the coax cable under the floor mats to my antenna in the rear.

#11 ·
I got a fender mount for my anntenna. Works real good, and its bolted on, so theres no magnets.

I'd like to recommend like disco mike said, hook it straight to the battery. I hooked mine to the fuse box in the cab initially and the traction control interfered with the signal. In otherwords, I got crazy bad feedback out the radio everytime the TC went on.

#12 ·
Ok, I think I'll mount it on the kick panel where my left knee is and run the coax cable to the antenna in the rear and run the power supply through the cap into the engine bay, and connect the red to the battery and the black to a chassis bolt? or could i just wire the black to the black connector on the battery too?

#22 ·
Just remember that if you mount the CB, down low, you will have some issues hearing it clearly.

#13 ·
I've got my rear door torn apart, I was wondering how possible it is to run the antenna through the rear door and on to a mount welded to the rear tire carrier. Probably wouldn't work, I don't know much about CBs. If it did, the mounting location would be great and clean looking.

#16 ·
well the power wires are run now, i just need to get the mounting bracket for the unit itself and decide on the antenna mounting situation lol. the spare tire mount sounds like a great idea, but for right now with my budget i have the magnetic mount so itll go on the roof. how much do you think it could cost for the wire, antenna and the mount for a spare tire mount installation?

thanks alot for all the help

#27 ·
Ran the wires, mounted the antenna (felt a little adventurous so i did mount it on the spare tire) and have come to the last problem. The units pretty big and really interferes with leg room on the kick panel by my knee. Any better place to mount this or should I just shut up and deal?

LOL thanks alot

#28 ·
The two other "best" options I've noticed were up high, by the sunroof buttons. Or, down low and behind the center console--screwing the rear middle spot for passenger's legroom. Or, I suppose, full on hillbilly: On top of the dash.

#31 ·
If you get a smaller unit - it will fit in the center counsel (sp?) with the mic detached. It's just filled with crap anyways...I have the video system controller and a cb in there...I used velcro to fasten it and I drlled a hole for the cords. I don't like the clutter, or hitting my knees on it everytime I get in, especially if I use it very seldom 1-2 times every few months. You got a cell phone right?? 10-4 good buddy -I'll be 10-200 - got any bears out there?

#29 ·
I wish I could have use for a CB radio. This rock i live on is too small to be that far away from civilization. I am jealous of you all.

#32 ·
Just mount in on the dash, its not in the way and you can see it and hear it perfectly! i put up a Thread about this about a month ago and they all posted pictrues look it up and check them out, i just screwed right into the fake little vint

#40 ·
Vader - I don't know,,, you live in the woods!
HAHA! I didn't say I wouldn't mount it up on the dash either! Heck, I'm down with zip ties as a fender mod! ;)

#36 ·
YEA! Too good a deal to pass up really! I'll use mine once every six months, but I have it hidden. Waaaay too many gizmos all over the place. I like a clean look, you'll see pics coming soon in the Project DII debut. Your gonna love the oil pressure guage!

I have a link around here for that mounting....

#37 ·
If you find it DiscoDream2, please pass it along. I've found a few links where people have modified mounts and just screwed them to the spare tire carrier. I didn't know if there were any other options before I went down this route.

#39 ·
Still looking, it must be one of these shortcuts....

Here we go!

Land Rover Discovery CB Antenna
Compliments of Firestik® Antenna Company Technical Support Team

Copyright © 2005 Firestik® Antenna Company

If you have a Land Rover Discovery and do not want to reinvent the procedure for installing a CB antenna on the rear tire carrier, there is an excellent website on the Internet that will interest you. Go to Expedition Exchange

The five Firestik parts required to duplicate the installation are:

Antenna, Firestik II: Model FS4
Coax: Model K-8A
Mount: Model SS-174*
Antenna Stud: Model K-4A
Quick Disconnect: Model R-1A

*The mount is only commercially available with a K-4 antenna stud. Since this procedure calls out the K-8A (both ends terminated with PL-259 connectors) style coax, the antenna stud that comes with the mount will need to be replaced with the K-4A antenna stud that accepts the PL-259 terminated coax cable.
The quick disconnect is an optional item that facilitates easy removal and replacing of the antenna. Other antenna choices would be the 3-foot or 4-foot FireFly antennas.

Firestik Antenna Company - 2614 E Adams St - Phoenix, AZ 85034 - (Tel) 602-273-7151 - Firestik Antenna Company Home Page

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.