Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Coolant leak

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Disco Mike 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 Discovery HSE and currently have a pretty bad coolant leak. It located behind the engine (adjacent to firewall) I cannot see it so I can’t' tell if there are any hoses back there or if is a gasket/seal. Not too long ago I replaced the throttle heat plate gasket (front of engine).

Any suggestions, information, thoughts are much appreciated...

Thanks...

#2 ·
Start replacing your head gaskets and quit driving it in the mean time or you might toast your engine.

#7 ·
I would go where Mike suggested, Atlantic British. I bought everything for this job from autopartswarehouse.com
Not horribly expensive, but to be honest, some of the gaskets seemed a little cheap. I've purchased from Atlantic British since then and they seem to have better quality. No worries on the job though, I managed to do this by myself in my garage in 1 weekend. It definetely pays to do plug wires for sure since you have the intake off and everything is more accessible toward the back of the firewall. Happy wrenching!

#6 ·
Get the complete set from Atlantic British, that will give you all the gaskets you'll need, then head bolts, t/stat, new up-graded upper radiator hose if it hasn't been replaced yet and plug wires if not yet done.
Do you have a manual to follow?

#10 ·
I would power scrub your engine and try and trace it down as best as possible. Then get a compression test to be 100% sure. It could be your valley pan gasket as these are prone to go bad a be misdiagnosed for a head gasket leak. Especially where you are describing.

#11 ·
Missfiring & Coolant problems

I have a similar issue with missfiring, but worse. My '02 Disco had a missfiring on #6. Soon after, the truck started overheating. When spark plug #6 was removed, coolant started coming out. Checked the head gasket-nada. The mechanic thinks it may be the coolant galery in the short block that's causing the problem and suggested me to by another engine. DOES THAT SOUND RIGHT?

#12 ·
I have a similar issue with missfiring, but worse. My '02 Disco had a missfiring on #6. Soon after, the truck started overheating. When spark plug #6 was removed, coolant started coming out. Checked the head gasket-nada. The mechanic thinks it may be the coolant galery in the short block that's causing the problem and suggested me to by another engine. DOES THAT SOUND RIGHT?
Could be a dropped sleeve. If that's the case, then from what I understand, look for another engine.

#13 ·
Dan, how much coolant was in the cylinder, do you have any coolant in the oil, did the engine have a major over heat and how many miles are on it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.