Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Coolant Mix ratio

12K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Roman_Engineer 
#1 ·
Has anyone used a mix other that 50/50 in their truck?

I live in the freakin hot south and really am more concerned with overheating than freezing. Although due to global warming we did have a fairly cold winter (sarcasm added)

I found data that states that less antifreeze in a mix will actually drop the operating temperature of the engine, of course the trade off is less freeze protection.

30% antifreeze 70% water seems like it would enhance the cooling of the engine while still keeping my block from cracking in the winter.

Let me know your thoughts.

Mark

#2 ·
You could also try adding water wetter. I don't see a problem with changing your anitfreeze concentration but I probably wouldn't go beyond a 40/60 split.

#3 ·
It is a waste of time to drop your coolant mixture cause the t/stat is what keeps the temp pretty much constant except under hard loads. Don't mess with the mix other then to add a bottle of Water Wetter or Purple Ice.

#6 ·
Water transfers heat better that coolant so a lower concentration will transfer more heat from the engine to the radiator.

As far a running 100% coolant read this.
It freezes sooner than mixed.
Any higher than 60% and you start going backwards.

Don't Fill Her Up with Antifreeze, Alaska Science Forum

Steve

#7 ·
That is what I thought; so 70% water, 30% antifreeze should keep the engine cooler. http://landroversonly.com/forums/images/smilies/dunno.gif

I know that the thermostat is set to open at a a particular temperature, dispersing the heat from the engine through the radiator.. If my recollection of Thermodynamics is correct; if the fluid being circulated can dissipate the heat more efficiently the engine should run cooler...

Am I missing something?

PS I am NOT a mechanical engineer, so would the more experienced mechanical types please chime in...

Thanks,

Mark

#8 ·
Well I can tell you this.
My 71 IIa was running hotter than I liked.
Checked the antifreeze concentration and it was high.
Cut it back to 70% water and it run much cooler.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.