Coolant smell, back of engine - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Coolant smell, back of engine

Hi All,

My D2 93k miles has a coolant smell that is coming from the back of the engine, no coolant drops when parked, and no obvious signs of the reservoir getting low, so the leak must be slight.

Looking behind the engine I see oilyness, but nothing that looks like a coolant leak.

Head gasket was changed (not by me) years ago at 65k miles, and engine runs strong, no oil in the rad.

should I;

Drain yucky orange stuff and replace it with nice green stuff and add a leak sealant
drain the yucky orange stuff and replace it with nice green stuff and add dye
drain the yucky orange stuff and replace it with nice green stuff
Try not to smell the car so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:46 PM
Drives like an old man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Option #4 sounds the best! In reality, the yucky orange stuff may be the cause. It's actually corrosive. Leak sealants rarely help and often hurt. I would go with option #3 , unless someone else knows something I don't (often the case).

2004 Disco II, bone stock, daily driver (gasp!)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Or... Option #5 . Get a pressure tester and find the leak.

If it's behind the engine, it's either head gaskets, an intake manifold leak or if on the right side, heater core in/out connectors (they're rubber)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

With my eyeballs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT090 View Post
Or... Option #5 . Get a pressure tester and find the leak.

If it's behind the engine, it's either head gaskets, an intake manifold leak or if on the right side, heater core in/out connectors (they're rubber)
And when I have the system pressured up I should just be looking with my eyeballs, for little leaks and stuff? it must be super hard to see something like that. Are there any pro tips I can apply when looking?

Thanks
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:02 PM

Jack it way up and crawl underneath. Get some bright lights and work mirrors on extensions. And patience. Or just wait. It's going to get worse.

Go out right now and get a temp gauge that plugs into your OBD port. The one on the dash is a decoration. Once it starts to move, your engine is already hurt. Scangauge is a favorite around here.

A little antifreese make s alot of smell. It's probably rolling down and hitting the windstream and spreading all over the underneath and evaporating. Whatever residue is probably blending in with your valve cover and oil pan leaks- they almost all have them.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Jack it way up and crawl underneath. Get some bright lights and work mirrors on extensions. And patience. Or just wait. It's going to get worse.

Go out right now and get a temp gauge that plugs into your OBD port. The one on the dash is a decoration. Once it starts to move, your engine is already hurt. Scangauge is a favorite around here.

A little antifreese make s alot of smell. It's probably rolling down and hitting the windstream and spreading all over the underneath and evaporating. Whatever residue is probably blending in with your valve cover and oil pan leaks- they almost all have them.
would a little bit of dye help? what is an ideal temperature range?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:07 AM

Maybe. Never tried it. Leaks usually leak more when they're hot. Coolant isn't hard to spot. The undersides of these trucks are usually pretty oily and greasy. The water beads up on everything it's on.

Are you sure you don't just have a bad cap and are getting some splurt out of the drop tube off the tank?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Smelly Smells

Quote:
Maybe. Never tried it. Leaks usually leak more when they're hot. Coolant isn't hard to spot. The undersides of these trucks are usually pretty oily and greasy. The water beads up on everything it's on.

Are you sure you don't just have a bad cap and are getting some splurt out of the drop tube off the tank?
I might be, as in, the drop tube drippy drops and then splashes onto the firewall and smells back there. There do appear to be a few little drops at the end of the stick.

I have a little USB scope in the mail and I will see what it shows.

Thanks a bunch for the help!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamhockracer View Post
I might be, as in, the drop tube drippy drops and then splashes onto the firewall and smells back there. There do appear to be a few little drops at the end of the stick.

I have a little USB scope in the mail and I will see what it shows.

Thanks a bunch for the help!
Best bet. Buy a new cap and pressure wash everything thoroughly. If your leak stops, you're golden. If it doesn't, it should be easier to find.

Those catch tanks can be problematic- they can crack and at first give you intermittent leaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.