Deer Hit Me! - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Deer Hit Me!

Howdie Rover Boys and Girls! Was coming back from deer hunting last week and one of them decided to get revenge and charged my rig from the ditch! Anyway, he hit me on the passenger side right behind the gas riser and before the right rear marker. The body is just pushed in with no scraps/scratches or gouges. Would I be able to have this pulled out by suction? Is there a way to take the rear interior off from inside and maybe push it out from within? It's really not that bad at all and am actually not too worried about it due to how minor of a 'ding' it is. It's approx. 1.5' round and maybe pushed in about 1.5 inches. I haven't figured out how to upload pics yet so I can't help out that way..

Thanks and Rover On!
Front DS Complete, 3rd water pump, 90K Service Done (133k now), Bosch P2's, STI 8mm's, Valv. 75/140 syn., Rotella 15w/40, K&N Oil Filter,265/65 Long Trail TA's on on Rover 16's coated Black and the rest is yet to come! Now featuring New Head Gaskets!!

'Always wanted one and now I got one'

I think my wife cries about my rover more then my Rover cries for itself!
hupalo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
'03 Disco SE

The diameter and depth of the ding you describe (1.5" x 1.5") make it sound quite small and deep which likely means that the sheet metal was stretched inward and trying to use the suction method would probably not work. You'd probably have to use a shrinking hammer (158 Shrinking Hammer) with some kind of backing to get the metal back to its original shape. Unfortunately, this would mean ruining the paint and probably having to repaint that portion of the panel.

I say leave the dent and use it as motivation for your next hunting trip.
Bosnian Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

The fenders are aluminum and if you remove the inner interior panel, you should be able to push out the damage fairly easily.
Any extra venison left over???????

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Need Parts?
paulgrant@mac.com or call 203-770-1699
willtillery@roverguy.com or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8, http://lucky8llc.com/
British Parts of Utah, http://www.bputah.com/
Disco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosnian Discovery View Post
The diameter and depth of the ding you describe (1.5" x 1.5") make it sound quite small and deep which likely means that the sheet metal was stretched inward and trying to use the suction method would probably not work. You'd probably have to use a shrinking hammer (158 Shrinking Hammer) with some kind of backing to get the metal back to its original shape. Unfortunately, this would mean ruining the paint and probably having to repaint that portion of the panel.

I say leave the dent and use it as motivation for your next hunting trip.
Sorry...1.5 ft around as in 18 inches. Are the interior panels difficult to remove?
Front DS Complete, 3rd water pump, 90K Service Done (133k now), Bosch P2's, STI 8mm's, Valv. 75/140 syn., Rotella 15w/40, K&N Oil Filter,265/65 Long Trail TA's on on Rover 16's coated Black and the rest is yet to come! Now featuring New Head Gaskets!!

Old 11-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
'03 Disco SE

Ahhh - that changes things. You should be able to push it out. Interior panels are easy to remove, but getting access to the location of the dent might be a little tougher considering that there is bracing in that portion of the body.

An 18" x 1.5" dent is about the perfect size for suction removal.
Bosnian Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

i've seen people using dust off cans upside down to pop dents like that out too... but I wouldn't try that unless the suction cup doesn't seem to work. if the dent is between the taillight and the gas cap, you could probably take the taillight out and shove a broom handle (or something) down there to pop it back out. I keep thinking of a box-o-wine bag taped to a broomhandle and an air compressor to inflate it... all under the assumption you can access that area through the taillight (haven't taken one of them off in awhile). Goodluck. take a picture before/after for us... and certainly take a picture of my idea if you use it.

-Mcguyver =P
Instanced is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instanced View Post
i've seen people using dust off cans upside down to pop dents like that out too... but I wouldn't try that unless the suction cup doesn't seem to work. if the dent is between the taillight and the gas cap, you could probably take the taillight out and shove a broom handle (or something) down there to pop it back out. I keep thinking of a box-o-wine bag taped to a broomhandle and an air compressor to inflate it... all under the assumption you can access that area through the taillight (haven't taken one of them off in awhile). Goodluck. take a picture before/after for us... and certainly take a picture of my idea if you use it.

-Mcguyver =P
LOL! That's quite an idea and I think I might try it if I can get a bag in there. My wife should have one ready by the end of the week. Once I can get the rig back in the garage or it warms up enough outside I'll work on it, right now the Minnesota winter is trying to bear its head.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

No bueno!

Louie CK has a bit about deer....
Fricking hilarious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.